Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I would really like a cross label box set of "The Complete Jazz Piano Recordings of Andre Previn"

deus62 likes this.
  2. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

Just an update on the remastering of the La Nilsson box, which I now own. It turns out that Decca's add is slightly misleading. The Solti Ring cycle is not newly remastered, but uses the 2012 (already excellent) remastering. What is newly remastered in 2017, however, is the Solti Tristan and Isolde, Salome and Electra (the latter two also available separately) and the Böhm Ring cycle, which does sound significantly better than in its earlier iteration imho.

Octave, Moonfish and zeram1 like this.
  3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

In my experience Decca's ads are not always accurate :) Same goes for DG's ads.

deus62 likes this.
  4. floydfan

floydfan Forum Resident

I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the Atmos track but the release still sounds interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

5. Åke Bergvall

I don't have Atmos either, and have to do with the 7.1 it reverts to on an older surround setup like mine, but it works well enough for movies where Atmos is most often found, and for the rock albums mentioned in my earlier post. As for Karajan I am satisfied with his 1960s stereo cycle on hi-rez blu-ray.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  6. George P

George P Notable Member

From a performance standpoint, I think the 1960s set is the Karajan LvB set to have.

hvbias likes this.
  7. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

Well, other than the monster Bach 333 set coming in the next few weeks, classical collecting will have to take a back seat for a while. Deluxe editions of Imagine, the White Album, Blood on the Tracks, McCartney/Wings Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway, Kinks Village Green, and the next Bowie box are going to set me back a pretty penny.

8. Jayseph

Jayseph Somewhere Between Penny Lane & Alphabet St.

Agreed. Looking forward to the Bach set, but I am getting a little concerned with all of the rest of my box set preorders. :D

9. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Where's everybody getting their Bach 333 set from? I just pre-ordered my copy from ImportCDs today for $479.23 + $28.99 "standard shipping." Any better deals out there for this for stateside buyers?

10. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Amazon France. Comes out to about $380 USD shipped.

11. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Decca has the Cecilia Bartoli “Rossini Edition” boxed set for only $110, but they want $60 for shipping! :crazy:

bluemooze likes this.
  12. George P

George P Notable Member

Is she delivering it herself?

Worker and crispi like this.
  13. giantleech

Woahzers! Looks like I'll be cancelling with ImportCDs and heading over to Amazon.Frog for that much better deal! :thumbsup:

ermylaw likes this.
  14. Jayseph

Amazon. Not a better deal than yours. Unless it goes down before release date.

15. giantleech

Per ermylaw's tip, I put in a cancellation with ImportCDs and placed a new order with Amazon.fr (specifically) and am now going to get this for approximately $380.00 (shipping included.) That aforementioned cat just saved me about another $130.00 on this puppy (thanks, ermylaw!) :thumbsup:

SteveKn and ermylaw like this.
  16. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I can’t take full credit: I got the same tip from
    RiRiIII in another thread.

17. Jayseph

Hmmm..I have to think about this one. It is much cheaper at Amazon.fr. But I have to weigh pros and cons on a few things. I am hoping to get the set day of and obviously would need to wait for a much longer time if I order from France. I also am a bit concerned about shipping price if I would have to exchange it for any reason. Plus, was there a way to order the books in English when you ordered from France? (I remember there were issues with the Mozart box set where book language was concerned. My French skills are minuscule so I wasn’t sure how to specify on the site.)

18. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Match the ASIN for the English version. If it’s packaged like Mozart 225, as I expect it will be, it should have abundant protection. Shipping from the European Amazons is surprisingly fast too.

19. giantleech

Just for the record, what is the ASIN, specifically, for the English version?

20. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

B07D2Y539K

The only other version is German, with this ASIN: B07FTYMM7W

giantleech likes this.
  21. Åke Bergvall

For the English version, the ASIN is B07D2Y539K.

giantleech likes this.
  22. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Considering this ESQ set, as well. I was on the verge of buying the Das Alte Werk set, but I’m fading on that one.

23. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I've listened to a few Beethoven symphonies from the Szell box on headphones, wow they sound exceptional- the separation, detail and depth even on headphones is quite apparent. Sounds that are far away have the right softness, blurring and other spacial cues to make them sound like it's live. This is without a doubt an upgrade from the budget Sony box with a picture of Szell on it. I plan to hear them in order on speakers, I have to imagine it will be even better.

Currently on Symphony 6 and it says remastered by Martin Kistner but these have to be remixed?

ubertrout, deus62 and bluemooze like this.
  24. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

I agree on the excellent sound of the box set; I think due to the fact that the majority of it has been remastered from the original analog master tapes contributes to it sounding much improved from older cds

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    deus62 and hvbias like this.
  25. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I suppose you are right as there isn't much you can do on balance to a 3-track recording. This is how the Walter Edition box remixes should sound. I would love to have that box redone and another bonus if it's original jacket style. I love how there are many parallels to the styles of Szell and Walter.