Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Of the first dozen or so I've heard, they sound very good. I have not, however, done any comparisons to earlier versions.

2. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

For those who missed the Vladimir Horowitz Complete Original Jacket collection, it appears to have been rereleased and is in stock at jpc.de for 99 eur:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/det...owitz-Original-Jacket-Collection/hnum/7954840

Wish I'd have waited - I grabbed it for about $300 thinking it would go the way of the Glenn Gould set, which goes for over $1000 in good condition.

There also appears to be an 85 CD set coming chronicling the SEON early music label:

http://www.jpc.de/s/seon

EDIT: Also appears there will be a second run of the out-of-print Fritz Reiner box:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/det...mplete-Chicago-Recordings-on-RCA/hnum/3457481

3. dajokr

4. dajokr

5. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

"Sacred Music" is the only one I have from your list. A great collection.

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_4_Stereo

It has something to do with multi-channel recording. I had a few in the 1960s, but I don't remember being impressed.

7. dajokr

8. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

zen likes this.
  9. dajokr

10. chrisoc

chrisoc Forum Resident

Can anyone tell me what replication there is between this

DG THE ORIGINALS: LEGENDARY RECORDINGS (50 CD BOX SET)
    set and "111 Years of Deutsche Grammophon: 55 CD Anthology Box set, Collector's Edition, Limited Edition
    111 Years of Deutsche Grammophon" and "111 Years of Deutsche Grammophon - The Collectors' Edition 2"? I have the latter two, and am thinking of ordering the new one. Thanks in advance.

11. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Here's the listing for the originals box. http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/us/cat/4793449

I assume there will be some overlap. I think it's part of DG's plan to get you to buy as many copies of the same album as you can. It's why I've really slowed down on buying these boxes

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Sony will release Pierre Monteux - The Complete RCA Album Collection containing 40 CDs in Europe in December:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MAPMAFQ/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
    I'm looking forward to this box even though I have several RCA CD reissues. In addition I wish Universal would release a complete Monteux Philips and Decca recordings box; the earlier and now OOP Original Masters box was not complete.

The complete Ronald Brautigam cycle of Beethoven piano sonatas on fortepiano has been released in one box containing 9 CDs:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LJ3EUGC/ref=gno_cart_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    dajokr likes this.
  13. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I have a couple of the Brautigam album I got as a daily deal on eclassical. They're OK, but I prefer a modern piano.

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

So do I - actually, I don't like the sound of most fortepianos I've heard at all - but I still find this box intriguing, and I have none of the individual volumes.

15. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

You can sample them on eclassical.com. First time you hit play on a track it stops at 30 seconds. Hit play again and it stops at 1 minute. Hit play again and it plays the entire track. Also, all BIS albums are on Spotify and Beats here in the US. Not sure about the EU but since it's an EU label, I imagine it's available there too.

16. dajokr

I haven't been keeping this thread up with all the coming releases. This fall is going to break my bank account between the many classical releases I want and the archive releases from other artists/bands.

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Thanks for the tip, but I don't "do" downloads, Spotify or what have you. It's just CDs for me - yes, I'm old-fashioned :) But it's appreciated!

By the way, they can also be sampled on AMG, free of charge.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  18. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Yes, but you can only sample a 30 second clip that they choose, usually the first 30 seconds but not always. I've found at least one sample on allmusic that was mostly applause and another that was the spoken intro.

I do do downloads, but I use Spotify and Beats just to check out albums before I buy them. It has saved me enough money to pay for the services. It's not all that useful for older masters of old classical warhorses, but it's great for 20th century or more obscure composers who don't have multiple releases. It's also helpful with non classical genres that I tend to be very picky about what I like. That's really where it's saved me a lot of money.

19. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I find them even more useful. As I mentioned I have over 2000 silver classical discs (now all on my hard drive). Unless I really, really like something - i.e. unless it's a performance I expect to listen to more than three times in my lifetime - I am more than happy to listen to it through Spotify Premium (320 kbps). I don't need to own a 4th cycle of Beethoven sonatas, when I have three that I like and have access to a dozen more.

My major exceptions are for audiophile level recordings. I just ordered the Tokyo String Quartet's Beethoven cycle on SACD. And I am placing a major order with CDJapan for SHM-SACDs for jazz and rock titles. Also, if a mega-box set really grabs me, I may grab it.

20. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I've long had the habit of playing shuffle by album though my entire library or a large playlist. Other than checking out stuff on streaming services, I might only choose a specific album to listen to once or twice a month.

21. dajokr

I am revisiting the Sony Vivarte 60 CD box this weekend - outstanding!

Does anyone have any of the smaller (dozen or so) Vivarte reissue boxes? I am wondering how much overlap there is between the big box and the smaller ones. Also, is anyone aware of a link/site where the entire Vivarte catalog is listed? I need more. :)

zen likes this.
  22. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I havc the Gustav Leonhardt organ box and 1 of the 5 are in the big box

[​IMG] [​IMG]

23. dajokr

Thanks!! Interesting - based on the picture of the back, it seems these boxes include Seon releases. The plot thickens.

24. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I can't remember which one it was, but after buying the big box, I looked at buying one that had two albums overlapping and decided against it.

The Sequentia Hildegard von Bingen is on DHM and is part of the same series. It's one of my favorite boxed sets.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze and dajokr like this.
  25. dajokr

I did some sleuthing on the various Vivarte releases and here's what I came up with:

- In addition to the 60 CD box which was released in Asian markets in 2010 and internationally in 2012, there were 20 smaller box sets (ranging from 3 to 10 discs) released under the Vivarte banner in/around 2012.
    - I bought 12 of the 20 boxes (at about an average of $12-15 each through marketplace sellers):

Haydn: The Creation, Masses, etc. (6 CD)
    Mozart: Six Symphonies after Serenades, Overtures (4 CD)
    Handel, Geminiani, Purcell, Vivaldi (6 CD)
    Flute Concertos & Sonatas - Bach, Stamitz, Gluck (6 CD)
    Bach: Cantatas (4 CD)
    Beethoven: Concertos, Cello Sonatas (5 CD)
    Schutz: Psalm of David, Christmas & Easter Historias (5 CD)
    Schubert: Masses (4 CD)
    Haydn: Symphonies (7 CD)
    Boccherini: Cello Concertos & Sonatas, Flute Quintets (4 CD)
    Mozart: String Quintets, Clarinet Quintet (3 CD)
    Schubert: Chamber Works (5 CD)

- Out of 59 discs in the 12 boxes I bought, 17 (29%) are repeats from the 60 CD box. 3 are Seon releases packaged under the Vivarte banner. One is a Sony Classical Release.
    - Result is 38 new Vivarte releases (+ 3 Seon + 1 Sony Classical)
    - Many of the boxes contain Seon releases in addition to Vivarte ones. I avoided ones with more Seon releases as the new Seon box set is on its way.
    - The 8 sets I did not get:

Beethoven String Trios, Piano Trios, Quintet, Sextets, Octet - L’Archibudelli (5 CD)
    • 3 discs are in box set
    • had the other 2 already
    Mozart: Divertimentos, Adagios & Fugues, Grande Sestetto Concertante - L’Archibudelli (5 CD)
    • 2 are Seon releases
    • 2 are in Box set
    • Need: Grand Sestetto Concertante
    Vivaldi: The Four Seasons,Concertos, Cello Sonatas 1-6 - Jeanne Lamon/Tafelmusik (4 CD)
    • 3 discs are in box set
    • Need: Vivaldi - Concertos for Strings (Tafelmusik)
    The Organ in Renaissance and Baroque, North German Organ Music - Leonhardt (5 CD)
    • 2 discs are Seon
    • 2 discs are in box set
    • Need: Historic Organs of Austria
    Bach: French Suites, Inventions, Sinfonias, Italian Concerto – Leonhardt (4 CD)
    • All four discs are Seon releases
    Mozart: Violin Concertos & Concertante Movements, Flute Concertos, Horn Concertos (5 CD)
    • 4 are Seon releases
    • Need: Mozart Horn Concertos
    Bach: The Brandenburg Concertos / Violin Concertos / Harpsichord Concertos – Various (4 CD)
    • 3 discs are Seon releases
    • 1 disc in box set
    Concertos & Sonatas for Wind Instruments – Vivaldi, Handel, Teleman, etc (10 CD)
    • All discs are Seon releases

zmic likes this.