Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #11)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jay F, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Harmonia Mundi gave up the SACD ghost, too, those are collectable now as well (e.g. Herreweghe Brahms Requiem, Nagano Mahler 8).

2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

One of the reasons I snapped up Nagano's SACDs of Bruckner's Third And Fourth.

3. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

Rachmaninov Preludes

I was looking at Stephen Osborne's Hyperion disc of the 24 Rachmaninov Preludes on amazon.com. Although this has been an acclaimed disc, apparently, one particularly opinionated reviewer thought it made all the preludes "same-y" and another reviewer thought they were good but not mind-blowing.

A third reviewer said the piano sound is awesome. So as an audiophile, I should definitely buy this, because who cares about the performance, right? ;)

But seriously, what might be a good alternative? Someone suggested Richter, and although I am not deeply into classical music, what I've heard of Richter I liked. I think I have a Melodiya vinyl of his somewhere around here. (Not Rachmaninov, though.)

Feel free to give me your opinions. Seriously, I'd like something that sounds good, not a 1947 performance transferred from 78's. Stuff from the mid-1950s or later often sounds decent enough. I like Rubinstein's late 50's and 60's recordings well enough.

4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I'd look into Ashkenazy. I recall his recordings of Russian Romantics with fondness, esp. for the quality engineering the pianist usually gets from the Decca team.

5. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Agreed. I have the Osborne disc, Ashkenazy is better, IMO. Richter is always good, but he seldom recorded complete works of anything, Rach Preludes included.

6. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

I bought mine from a member here after He decided it wasn't for Him and glad I did.
    I think it was recommended by one of the Classical Guru's here and I found it to be well recommended.
    I don't think I settle for anything less....but that's my opinion after hearing it.

I don't pay attention to some of those reviews on Amazon....some are by morons that aren't real Classical lovers.

[​IMG]

Got quite a writeup on Presto Classical!

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Hyperion/CDA67700

7. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

and bargains are addictive.prices so low they MADE me buy !
    honey, i had no choice.

8. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

I have had this one since 1989 and have enjoyed it a LOT!
    It's the only Perahia that I own so far.

[​IMG]

9. George P

George P Notable Member

As usual, Robin is right on the money. :righton: I'd grab the earlier mastering of the 24 preludes by Ashkenazy, the one in the fatboy case, pressed in West Germany. The later Decca Legends mastering has been NR'd a bit. :sigh: Ashy has that nice balance of poetry and power that is essential for this music. Some of his preludes bring tears to my eyes, others get the heart pounding.

Also, I would say that Richter's recordings of Rachmaninov's preludes/etudes are absolutely essential. They were originally on Olympia (best sound) and then later reissued on Regis (light NR) and now out on Alto (I think, haven't heard them) for some incredible performances.

Santiago Rodriguez has the best set in modern DDD sound. Exciting, refreshing readings. On three ELAN CDs or part of a recent Rachmaninov box set from Brilliant. Also contains wonderful performances of the two sonatas. The box also has a lot of other gems, like Rudy/Jansons's reading of the concertos and Pagani Rhapsody. Great sound and poetic playing by Rudy.

For a superb set of the etudes tableaux, I strongly suggest Ogdon on Testament.

10. George P

George P Notable Member

I imagine that's one of the reasons why Richter's performances are so spectacular. He didn't perform stuff he didn't like. :righton:

As for the Ashy CD you link to, I wonder if they bothered to remaster the set again after doing so a few years back for the Legends series?

11. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Not a remaster, it's a clone. All of those Decca Legends titles reissued as Originals are mere repackages. The whole major label model is now built on labor-free repackaging: new EMI Masters are Great Recordings of the Century masterings, Decca Legends = Originals, the only 'label' still releasing new stand-alone reissues is Deutsche Grammophon's Originals series. EMI Icon boxes have some odds & ends material remastered, but on the whole those super-budget reissues are comprised of anything from mid-80's to 2008 (last year of GROC) masterings. I do wonder if there have been new remastered Decca Originals issued that were not previously released as Legends??

12. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

Thanks for the suggestions on the Rachmaninov preludes. I probably would gravitate to the Richter, though I can get the Osborne cheap, and I probably will. At least I can dig around amazon.com now and see which versions are available at reasonable prices.

13. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

listening to this...

[​IMG]

good night!

14. George P

George P Notable Member

15. [​IMG]

CD No. 45 - Maurizio Pollini: Chopin, Etüden Nr. 1-24 (1971)

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Nice one, Miles! I don't like most of Pollini's Chopin, but he really is in his element in the Etudes. That is clear right form the start. :agree:

17. For something different. I played it loud, very loud - might have scared the kids. :angel:

[​IMG]

18. I don't play a lot of Pollini but this is a beautiful recording.

19. George P

George P Notable Member

Miles the Terrible. :tsk:

20. :evil:

21. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Eddie, Thanks for the link. The last time I checked, I did not find any Sony big box for Ormandy. Is that box a recent release?

22. coopmv

George, Where is Academy Records again? Between 5th & 6th Ave and what street in the West Village?

23. coopmv

Now playing CD13 from this set ...

[​IMG]

24. coopmv

Now playing CD14 from this set ...

[​IMG]

25. George P

George P Notable Member

18th street. Their inventory has diminished, now that they figured out they can sell their CDs for a lot more on amazon. :realmad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.