Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #19)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay F

Jay F New Member

With their rounded corners, they look like little lunchboxes.

2. John S

John S Forum Resident

3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

If you like the clarinet trio, you have to go for the quintet as well. The two clarinet sonatas are also nice.

Basically the core of the classical clarinet repertoire are the works of Brahms and Mozart, plus Messaien's "Quartet for the End of Time". And maybe the Schubert Octet, although that is not often described as a work for clarinet.

4. john greenwood

One of my EMI HvK boxes shipped. However, the text of the e-mail is cut off in such a way that I can't tell which one.

5. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Very unusual box ...

7. coopmv

Can you post an Amazon link for this set? Thanks.

Oh, never mind. I just noticed there is already an Amazon link to this set. It will be interesting to see how this box will be rated.

8. coopmv

Now playing CD4 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

9. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

10. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

If you're looking for a great classical clarinet piece, I love the Finzi Clarinet Concerto. Very English pastoral. Try the Chandos recording.

The Weber concerti would also be considered core repertoire for the instrument.

Stravinsky wrote a clarinet concerto for Woody Herman, the Ebony Concerto. Very jazzy, obviously

I've always wished that Brahms had gotten around to writing a clarinet concerto.

11. coopmv

Yeah, I never thought packaging of classical music would get this gimmicky ...

12. john greenwood

I've spent some time wih the Finzi Bagatelles. Lots of fun to play. And as much as clarinettists love Weber, they are not as well known to the general public as those of Brahms and Mozart. The Messaien is considered one of the seminal works of the 20th Century, and the story behind its composition is pretty amazing.

Other worthwhile pieces for the clarinet include those by Schumann, Debussy, Nielsen, Milhaud and Poulenc. (I'm trying to recall the last time Poulenc was mentioned on this thread.)

13. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

Hindemith wrote a clarinet concerto and there's the Bartok piece entitled Contrasts, which I believe is for clarinet, violin and piano.

I kind of like the Stanford clarinet concerto but I'm an Anglophile and recognize that he's a second-tier composer, as are Crussell, Spohr and a number of other 19th century composers who wrote for the instrument.

I don't play--I envy--you but I've always loved the expressive, autumnal quality of the instrument. The Brahms quintet is my favorite work featuring clarinet. Just beautiful.

Let me add Copland, who wrote a clarinet concerto which is recognizable as a piece by the same composer who wrote Rodeo, Billy the Kid, etc.

14. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

whats wrong with rounded corners? The music I heard up to now is very good and well recorded...the packaging is quite good as well.

15. coopmv

Now playing this CD from my piano works collection ...

[​IMG]

16. coopmv

So has anyone started to enjoy this set yet?

[​IMG]

17. John S

John S Forum Resident

In the tray:

Chopin
    Nocturnes Selection

Daniel Barenboim, piano

Bed time for bonzos...:yawn:

Attached Files:

18. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Nothing beats the Nocturnes at night. :righton:

That Barenboim is one set that I don't have. I own over a dozen.

Now playing:

Grieg
    Lyric Pieces
    Ciccolini

19. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

You guys are moving to fast. :righton:

20. drh

drh Talking Machine

Dunno about the Schubert Octet, but his "Shepherd on the Rock" certainly is one. Also, let us not forget that the clarinet plays a prominent role in Richard Strauss's "Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks."

21. drh

drh Talking Machine

And now for some sad news: lutenist James Tyler died on Nov. 23 at age 70. (Maybe others had heard already, but found out about it only today from a Washington Post obit reproduced here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/06/AR2010120606420.html

I have three LPs Nonesuch issued of Tyler and his London Early Music Group. They contain some good things; perhaps my favorite is a dyspeptic, vitriolic take on one of those endlessly recycled tunes so common in the Renaissance; in this guise, its English title would be "Flee, flee, flee from happy lovers!"

22. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

got this sealed for $3.95.i like the music & the playing is really fine.

Attached Files:

23. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

WOW curved corner Digi-Paks thats a new one on me!
    Never saw that before....interesting titles but I hate Digi-Paks.
    Once they get some shelf wear on em they look like ---- and ya can't replace em. :realmad:

24. Graphyfotoz

Sorry George got me hooked on this rendition of the Nocturnes! :righton:
    He said it was THE copy to get....after hearing it....easy to hear why He thinks so highly of it!! :righton:

[​IMG]

25. Graphyfotoz

Wish I coulda got in on that one.
    I'll just DROOL over the fact you got it! :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.