Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Thanks I will look for a copy on CD & LP :cheers:

Regards

Simon :)

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The 2-CD set is relatively easy to find. It is now issued under the London label. The LP-set under the Argo label, which no longer exists, may require some weekend hunting trips to used record shops.

3. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

It was between this one, Szell's and HvK's. The Klemperer won out due to how"much" it had on it. The others did not seem to offer the variety that this set did.

4. coopmv

I have most of the Wagner's operas by HvK, on both CD and LP. The Ring Cycle is on LP only.

5. darkmatter

Excellent many thanks for that :righton: I will hunt for those

6. darkmatter

Thanks again, I can see this being an expensive thread :D

Regards,

Simon

7. darkmatter

Amongst my favourite symphonies are no 7 & 11 by Dimitri Shostakovitch,

What version(s) do you have?

8. George P

George P Notable Member

For 11, may I recommend the Mravinsky recording on Praga. It's a bone chilling experience.

For 7 (and really any Shostakovich symphony), I love Rozhdestvensky on Melodiya (OOP unfortunately.) This conductor's DSCH is exciting and vital.

9. darkmatter

Thanks George, I am not familiar with the Mravinsky 11, but I have a couple of the Rozhdestvensky Melodiya LPs 5 & 11 I think IIRC they are indeed excellent. I find 11 quite chilling especially the first movement.

10. George P

George P Notable Member

11. darkmatter

12. George P

George P Notable Member

That mean you got it already? :)

13. darkmatter

I have just had a quick look through part of my vinyl collection and I have the set on LP, I forgot I had the full set :laugh:

I have thought about getting them on CD, I've got about 4000 LPs uncatalogued :eek: I am just the wrong side of 40 and guess I better get on with sorting that out before the memory starts to go :shake:

14. coopmv

Now playing: Bach Sonatas
    Viktoria Mullova, Ottavio Dantone

Attached Files:

15. coopmv

Just wonder how you guys are listening to your music right now while you make a periodic post. I am now playing the just arrived Bach Sonatas on my sound system in my computer room/study, not on my desktop. Desktop is still no match for my stereo system, no matter how good the sound card is.

16. darkmatter

Like you I have a small system in the computer room. It is quiet now as it has just turned midnight here :shh:

17. coopmv

I have a mismatched system in my computer room, as the speakers are clearly bookshelf while the amp is a Conrad Johnson, which is rated at 240 watts/ch. I hope at some point to move it to a larger room and replace it with a tube (or valve, as you guys in England prefer to call) amp. I do late night listening through one of my three headphones: AKG 701, Sennheiser HD600 or Beyerdynamic DT990. All European headsets since they sound better to my ears.

18. George P

George P Notable Member

Always on my main (only) stereo system. It's in my profile. I have some so-so computer speakers, but I only use them to sample stuff.

19. darkmatter

Some serious stuff there I like and respect CJ amps.

Mine is an Orelle CDP, SA100 MKI amp, and a small floor stander design, only the speakers are listed in my main profile kit list.

20. coopmv

The objective of this thread is about classical music and the sound system that plays the music should really be a secondary consideration. It is nonetheless interesting to touch on this subject briefly since great music can only sound good on decent sound system.

21. darkmatter

Agreed, back to the music :)

Messiaen the Turangalila Symphony, I only have the CBS masterworks version on LP, Esa Pekka Salonen conducting the Philamonia orchestra.

Any other preferences as I want to look for this work on a CD

22. George P

George P Notable Member

23. coopmv

Now playing: Bruckner: Symphony No. 7 in E major
    Herbert von Karajan: Wiener Philharmoniker

Attached Files:

24. darkmatter

Thanks George I have an old penguin guide from 02 guess it is time for an update?

Is that the later re-master? what is the SQ like?

I have this version

Attached Files:

25. George P

George P Notable Member

The guide I posted above is actually a year or two older than that, but the recommendations are spot on. :) Penguin covers less ground and isn't as useful IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.