Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Just listening to the New York Philharmonic Orchestra playing
    Bartok : Concerto For Orchestra Music For Strings, Percussion & Celesta directed by Leonard Bernstein on SONY CD.
    Sounds very nice - good mastering, too. :)

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Recording wise what would you say was the better Bach set?

Thanks for the link and can sympathise with the reticence over Messiaen took me a while and I still find some of the works very demanding.

I will probably go for the 155 disc Bach set at some point, as that is a good way to access his complete output. The works of Sibelius and Shostakovich have been with me since childhood together with Mozart who was my mothers favourite composer.

Simon :)

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing: Debussy: The Complete Piano Music Disc 1
    Gordon Fergus-Thompson

Attached Files:

4. George P

George P Notable Member

If I ever buy another set of Debussy piano music, it will be that one. :righton:

5. darkmatter

:agree:

I can't believe I pass up on a copy of that when I was last in London :sigh:

6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I haven't heard this recording, maybe I should check it out since I absolutely adore Debussy, both his piano and his symphonic music.

I have Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli on DG, Jean-Efflam Bavouzet on Chandos and Pascal Roge on Decca and out of the three I prefer Michelangeli.

7. coopmv

The last set I played was Werner Jacob set, which reminded me of Karl Richter's playing, the old German school.

http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Organ-Wo...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1226852942&sr=1-1

Hans Fagius playing was decent. If I remember correctly (since I have not played the Hurford set in years), Peter Hurford's approach was more idiomatic.

Actually, for the old standby, Toccata and Fuge, I like the version on Philips by Daniel Chorzempa, the American organist the most. That is rare since I generally do not like American performers when it comes to baroque works. I think Chorzempa's performance of this work is fabulous.

http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Toccata-...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1226853542&sr=1-4

8. George P

George P Notable Member

Richter's live recording of the two books of preludes on BBC is lovely. I also have and enjoy ABM as well.

9. coopmv

10. darkmatter

Many thanks for this info and for the links, I have the Chorzempa disc and good it is too. Hurford's interpretations are not the most conventional though sonically wise the Decca recordings are good.

11. coopmv

I was just looking at the set by Marie-Claire Alain, the outstanding French organist. It looks like the set is out of print. I have many of the JS Bach Organ Works singles by Alain but have yet to complete the set.

http://www.amazon.com/J-S-Bach-Comp...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1226854696&sr=1-3

12. drh

drh Talking Machine

I have one set, the one by Michel Chapuis on Auvidis Valois CDs (originally on Telefunken LPs); I also have his companion set of the Buxtehude organ works (ditto). I'm very fond of his way with these composers. I've heard enough of the old Walter Kraft set to know that I'm not interested in it. You mentioned Rogg; I just recently latched onto a CD issue of his account of the Art of Fugue to replace my rather ill-playing LP copy (on Angel, purchased used and evidently at some point before I bought it played with a dubious stylus). Of particular interest is his completion of the final fugue.

13. Jay F

Jay F New Member

No Helmut Walcha?

14. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Thanks, Stuart. I just bought a "like new" copy at that link for $1.40.

15. coopmv

I have some of Helmut Walcha's recordings on LP and probably a few CD's as well. He probably has a set on Bach Complete Organ Works ...

16. coopmv

No problems. This thread has been great, as I have learned about some CD's I should own. It is much better buying a used but like-new CD than buying those CDR's from ArkivMusic ...

17. Jay F

Jay F New Member

He does. I had it on LP, then I sold it. I have his first CD, the Galleria Toccata & Fugue. I think he sounds great on both LP and CD.

18. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I am this close to e-mailing that guy and telling him to get the hell off Amazon Marketplace. He suckered me in again last night with one of his "new and used from...$14.99" CD-Rs. The next lowest was around $40.

EDIT: I just e-mailed him.

19. coopmv

20. darkmatter

Two great organists I have several recordings by them. Marie Clare Alain on a Cavaillé-Coll organ = Magic :righton:

21. coopmv

Now playing: Debussy: The Complete Piano Music Disc 2
    Gordon Fergus-Thompson

22. RobertKaneda

RobertKaneda New Member

Haydn: Harpsichord Concertos in F and G, Divertimento in F
    La Petite Bande--Sigiswald Kuijken (conductor), Ewald Demeyere (harpsichord)
    Accent 24188
    Two-channel SACD

Pleasant, unobtrusive music well played and well recorded, in that gray area between baroque and classical.

23. darkmatter

One of my many recordings of this work, this one has a stunning organ part but is probably bettered elsewhere.

What is your favourite version?

Attached Files:

24. coopmv

While I am still on the ArkivMusic e-mailing list, I stopped buying from them a few years ago. I started buying from them at the recommendation of a friend from grad school in 2001 or so and did give them a good amount of business. Then I realized their prices are not that great and on large order, I ended up paying quite a bit for shipping. I think they are now charging sale tax as well but I am out-of-state. These days, I just buy from Amazon MarketPlace, but ArkivMusic is not among the list of merchants I buy from.

25. coopmv

I have the following versions.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.