Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #22)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Better get ANY of these performances, they are The Big Four of The Planets, IMO. The Previn and the Susskind, besides the standard CD versions, were issued as DVD-Audio and SACD respectively (they are pictured below; the CD versions have different cover art). These hi-rez versions are out-of-print and more expensive but sonics are truly spectacular. :edthumbs:

Attached Files:

2. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I've switched over to Furtwangler's Bruckner 7. I like this first movement more than the other two. It's not boring the way the other two were.

3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

All four are great and revered. The Susskind sounds great. Kinda expensive to buy today though.

4. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Thanks for that, I recall the Dutoit being recommended upthread. :thumbsup:

5. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Usually, it's not boring to have a guy like Furtwangler at the podium - even without Bruckner or any other "Big B" in sight. :cool: :laugh:

6. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I don't think I've ever heard anything by him before. I guess I've always dismissed him because of Old Sound. The second movement contains some "movie music", which makes me picture something B&W about WWII, but romantic.

7. Edgard Varese

The Previn is listed at Amazon for $125. :yikes:

8. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

At the British Amazon prices aren't that scary. But I got my sealed copy at eBay a couple years ago (it was long OOP then) for $20 shipped.

OTOH, it should be noted that the highest resolution available on this DVD-A is 24 bit/48 kHz (both quadro and stereo), so many purists may dismiss it as "not true hi-rez". Personally, I love it, but you may go for the CD version (although it doesn't include the bonus pieces found on DVD-A).

9. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

You may try this incomplete Beethoven cycle. Nice transfers by Music & Arts (probably from tapes - they don't sound like needle-drops). One of my favorite Fifths ever, truly unique. And one of the crowd's favorite Ninths ever, although I want my Kalashnikov badly every time I hear those fascist coughs... :laugh:

Attached Files:

10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I bought this Furtwangler's set last year. Unfortunately, it is not a complete cycle ...

11. coopmv

Now playing this CD, which arrived from MDT some two weeks ago for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

12. coopmv

Now playing this CD from my baroque collection. The CD has been OOP for some times ...

[​IMG]

13. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Very deep into my survey of Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto in preparation for the March 8th release from Yuja Wang and Claudio Abado.

Here are the recordings I have been listening to for the past few weeks.

Rachmaninoff/Stokowski
    Ashkanski/Previn 1973
    Janis/Dorati
    Kapell/Steinberg
    Cliburn/Reiner
    Richter/Wislocki

Still forming my opinions.

I've also listened quite carefully to the promo on Youtube which has some samples of the Wang/Abado recording along with an interview with Yuja.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_jJ5dsjoEU

The preview looks promising. I know I am biased but quite honestly the opening that they play in the preview IMHO owns the entire lot above. it is pretty much a perfect interpretation in for my tastes. I just hope the rest holds up to the same standard.

14. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Yeah I have seen the same negative reports on it.
    Unusual for HvK to have a sukko recording but it was managed with this one!!

15. Graphyfotoz

I still say get this one and be done with it. Award winner.....price is VERY reasonable.....
    Don't do what I did for years.....settle for 2nd or 3rd best.....if the price is in your range get the best right off and be done with it.
    Can't tell ya how much time and money I wasted this way over the years! :shake:

Just my humble opinion on this anyway. :righton:

I guess there are at least 3 different covers for the same work.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

listening to an lp i got for 25 cents:Mahler 4/Israel Philharmonic/Barbara Hendricks,
    soprano.London LDR 10004 (LDR=London Digital Recording).recorded 3/79.the 1st
    Decca digital recordings for commercial release were made in Vienna,1/79,so this is
    very early-judging from the 10004 number,maybe the 4th released.my copy is in good
    shape & i enjoyed the performance & sound quality.

17. zeno333

zeno333 New Member

Too me, that version has a muddled background sound...

I have the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, by André Previn on Denon label, and it sounds great.

18. Edgard Varese

Ok, Dutoit it is. :laugh:

19. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Last night I went to the Berliner Philharmonie and saw a concert by the Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin (conducted by a young guy named Cornelius Meister). The piece was the 1st symphony by Bohuslav Martinů (I wonder if you guys have heard of him). Before the concert there was an introduction to the piece and how its structured and what some particularities are. Very interesting.

The piece itself was very nice, not as "modern" as I feared. It was rather romantic in style, with lots of drama and passion. Just like we expect it from our stereotypical Eastern European composer. :shh:

It was my second "Casual Concert", meaning the audience and the performers dress casual. This row of concerts is supposed to introduce people to more modern music. They are cheap and you always get an introduction (and you get to see and hear the Berliner Philharmonie). Altogether a great idea and the orchestra was in a good mood because it had won a Grammy the night before (for some production with Kent Nagano).

My next "Casual Concert" will be Strauss' Alpensymphonie in may. Looking forward to that.

20. John S

John S Forum Resident

Michael Praetorius born (possibly) this date, 1571

[​IMG]

Praetorius
    Dances from Terpsichore

The Pipers of Westra Aros (Sweden)

[​IMG]

Any music employing multiple sackbuts is OK by me. :righton:

21. Graphyfotoz

Hummmm you have my attention! :D
    I wonder how this one is as well?

[​IMG]

22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

There's more than one Furtwängler recording of the Bruckner 7th—are you listening to the Cairo performance in the Music and Arts box? There's another performance I've owned, used to be on the DeCapo EMI reissue series from Germany. Sound was better, performance more muscular. Bernard Haitink, along with Hans Rosbaud, play the 7th with more concern for its outpouring of lyricism. Barenboim has been called "Imitation Furtwängler," that 'wandering' effect is part and parcel of his condition. Furtwängler is more grounded in opera and was [arguably] the great conductor of 'music drama'. In any case, Bruckner's 7th can be sweet or craggy and intense—in Furtwängler's and Gunter Wand's case, it can be both. I'd actually give the nod to Wand—the orchestra playing is more disciplined, more refined. And then there's the fact that the SQ is so much better.

23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Great, but not as good as those Swedes.

24. Graphyfotoz

25. Graphyfotoz

Yeah NAXOS has some good ones now and then....but usually of unknown Conductors or Directors.
    Price is always right......never seen a expensive NAXOS yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.