Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #24)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I am about to listen to this LP, Fournier plays Elgar with the Berlin Philharmonic

[​IMG]

After listening to the Du Pre-Barbirolli version recently, I don't think that anything out there can compare, but still, Fournier is one of the greats, it should be good.

2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I like Stokowski's Bach transcriptions and also his Shostakovich.
    Now, if you like Shostakovich you owe it to yourself to listen at least to the 5 with the NY Philharmonic, it's a very special reading.

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Meanwhile, the single disc "Weekend Classics" edition is still floating around, used. The sound is only slightly better in the box. Amazon US has used copies starting at under $4.

4. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

The Hanover's set may be somewhat uneven at places, but it's definitely a very personal account recorded in a lovely reverberant sound. I especially love their Seventh and Eroica and like most of others. And there are nice bonuses - overtures and Missa Solemnis.

5. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Unusual office music choice, but together with Lulu this was my gateway to twelve tone.

Attached Files:

6. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye on eBay listings (the US Marketplace isn't an option in this part of the globe, unfortunately).

7. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Although I already have a bunch of Shostakovich 5ths (under Mravinsky, Gauk, Kitajenko, Bernstein and Mackerras), I'll check this one too, thanks. :wave:

8. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

It's hardly worse than playing loud a Cradle Of Filth album in a supermarket's inquiry desk, as one of my female violinist pals once did while being there on a summer job. :righton:

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

There's not much that I like by Pollini, but his Schoenberg is awesome.

10. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Besides Pierrot under Boulez, Schoenberg remains mostly undiscovered by me. I probably should fix this, and piano works could be a nice choice, after I've absorbed Kocsis's Bartok very well. :wave:

11. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Now playing:

Beethoven
    Symphony No. 6 "Pastorale"

Radio Sinfonieorchester Stuttgart/Karl Münchinger
    Disky Communications/Vienna Classics VC 700742 [Orig. rec. 1986. Licensed from EMI Electrola.]

One of the best 6ths on record.

12. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Nice stuff. Pollini is really in his element there. :righton:

13. George P

:agree:

14. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Borodin: Symphonies 1 thru 3
    CSR
    Naxos 1989 cd.
    Came in the mail yesterday from Grooves-Inc.

15. drh

drh Talking Machine

Why do I do these things to myself?

I'm in the throes of copying my haul from the great ImportCD sale to the server, and I've come at last to the 56-disc Aldo Ciccolini box. Looking ahead, I can see that it includes a good bit of Scarlatti, and when I set things up on the server I made the fateful decision to divide the sonatas up by Kirkpatrick pairs. Alas, Kirkpatrick's book doesn't expressly break up the listing that way, although one can usually guess by key, and I've never seen any other source that does so, either, meaning that every time I add a sonata (after the first 100 or so, which supposedly weren't paired) not already represented I have a research project on my hands to confirm that I'm getting the pairing right. (Happily, Kirkpatrick does expressly list the triples in a footnote buried in the middle of the text.) Anybody know of a good source for a listing that expressly denotes the pairs? If so, I'd much appreciate a gentle pointer!

16. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Interestingly, the other pianist I really enjoy performing twelve tone is Mitsuko Uchida. Love her Mozart; love her Berg; don't especially care for her performances of the music composed in between.

17. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I've been thinking for long time that the Stokowski Sound may have been the arcehtype of 'wall of sound'.

18. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Can't stand COF, but I love your friend!

19. George P

I totally agree. :agree:

20. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

His 1976 Mozart Piano Concerto No. 23, K. 488 with Boehm/VPO is sublime. My favorite of that work.

21. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Noted.

22. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Just released on CD in EU for first time four months ago on DG Originals, coupled with Piano Concerto No. 19, K. 459, recorded during same sessions. Like buttah.

Attached Files:

23. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD, which just arrived today for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Jim, Patience has paid off. This CD is ULN and not a BMG Club release ... :winkgrin:

24. WilsonTTC

WilsonTTC Forum Resident

Yes, while the man is a genius in the dynamics and texture of music, his recordings are always pushed beyond the limits of the media.:cry:

25. drh

drh Talking Machine

My copying exercise is up to disc 5 of the Ciccolini set now. I haven't actually played any of that set yet, but I've sampled most of the others that I got at the same time. I think my favorite entry so far is one S. Richter's account of the Dvorak Piano Concerto with Carlos Kleiber. All by itself worth the price of admission for that set.

Richter's account of the Beethoven op. 31/2 "Tempest," on the other hand, while certainly a fine reading, did not dislodge my affection for Gieseking's recording of the '30s. But then again, in probably 30 years of listening now, nobody has managed to pull off that stunt....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.