Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #24)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Attached Files:

2. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

3. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

So far, I've played (and occasionally re-played) the complete Mahler (overall fine), the complete Tchaikovsky (IMO, far from the best cycles available, but I really enjoyed the 3rd, which I consider the most non-Tchaikovskian symphony of them all; somehow, in Bernstein's interpretation it's finally clicked for me), the complete Brahms (despite the lack of positive consensus among critics, I actually really enjoyed the cycle, esp. the 4th, which has become one of my current top picks), almost all the Beethoven, the both Nielsen discs, some Haydn and Dvorak, the Berlioz, the Bruckner, the Stravinsky plus some odds and ends.

4. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Usually Sony use the latest masterings in their value boxes, and this new series mostly uses 24-bit masterings, so they may be the same thing (minus the liner notes).

5. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Just checked Haitink's tour dates. There're some concerts in May and June but all of them are in Chicago. Oops, I would say...

6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I went with the DG cube simply because I virtually had no duplicates and I already have quite a few Complete Schumann Symphonies. I agree with you I am dubious about performance of Schumann Symphonies on period instruments.

7. coopmv

Jay, I think the only difference may be the packaging. For my set, the nine symphonies are packaged in 8 traditional CD jewel cases, each with its own booklets. They are all 24/96 and the SQ is great. The set being sold at Presto no doubt comes with CD's in their paper sleeves and housed in a box.

8. coopmv

Which SO will Haitink be touring with? LSO or RCO?

9. drh

drh Talking Machine

On the whole, most admired (not surprisingly) in French repertory, I think, although I remember some attractively crisp Scarlatti that he did on 78s. Don't know his Chopin, but I have not much cared for his Schubert, at least what I've heard of it.

On the other hand, the US hasn't gone through periods when classical music was considered decadent and the authorities ran around breaking all the fingers of classical pianists. (That did happen to at least one Chinese artist with some name recognition, but whose name I forget, during the Cultural Revolution.)

10. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Fortunately, there are no duplicates in my Sony box too. And some recordings are essential and separately cost not much less than the whole set (esp. the Peri oratorio under Harnoncourt). BTW, the symphonies under Levine are fine and definitely on par with my first go-to version under Semkow (haven't heard the Bernstein yet). And, according to some internet sources, there may be some small differences in orchestrations used by Semkow and Levine, although they are basically the same performing editions (as opposed to some alternative ones used by Gardiner in the DG set).

11. coopmv

I am sure you are not referring to Fou Ts'ong who was at some point married to the daughter of Yehudi Menuhin and made himself a decent reputation in the UK back in the 50's and 60's

12. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

The best Sibelius First on record IMO. Nothing else tops it.

13. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Chicago Symphony Orchestra (with Emmanuel Ax on piano for all the dates involving piano works).

14. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Yes, it smokes! :cheers:

15. drh

drh Talking Machine

Oh, by the way, while I know George was rather lukewarm toward the set, I'm delighted to report that I just received the Richard Goode set of the Beethoven sonatas for the princely sum of $20 (admittedly, the boxes have had the bejeezus beaten out of them, but the discs are OK).

16. Rose River Bear

Great price for a great set. As with all pianists, the style fits some and not others of the Sonatas. Overall though, you cannot beat the Goode set at that price. He is great on quite a few of the Sonatas especially the earlier ones which he is tops.

17. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I have an excellent Shostakovich 11 from Bychkov.

Shostakovich: Symphony No. 11: the Year 1905. Semyon Bychkov, WDR Symphony Orchestra Cologne. SACD/CD, 2006. AVIE

18. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, which arrived 2 days ago for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Thanks Jay for the recommendation, as I grabbed the last reasonably priced brand-new copy on Amazon US. The lowest priced one now is close to $70 ...

19. coopmv

Oh well. :shrug:

20. Rose River Bear

That cost $70! Too bad you did not ask if anyone had an extra copy. I could have helped you with that.

Long been a classic. I have around five top Bruckner 4ths and that one may be the best.

21. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

No he said he got one cheap and now they are $70.

You said you are a Gemini, right? Mercury is retrograde right now, adversely affecting communication, especially for Gemini's and Virgos (me).

:wave:

22. coopmv

I did not pay anywhere close to $70.

23. Rose River Bear

That's good. I saw where some Amazon sellers want $70! Pretty crazy.

24. Jay F

Jay F New Member

There's another edition, in the Originals series, but I've never heard it. It's also with the Wiener Phil, so I imagine it's the same recording. They're both 96/24 blahblahblah.

25. Rose River Bear

I never said I was a Gemini but I am. Uh oh....are you reading my mind George?:laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.