Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #29)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD4 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

This set is surprisingly enjoyable ...

2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

It's a beauty!

3. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

A friend played me this LP

[​IMG]

Ashkenazy in Concert - Chopin . Decca SXL 6575

Recital during May 1972

Does anyone know if these performances have made it to CD? :)

4. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Check the right hand column here in his discography.

Good News - Looks like this CD (417 729-2) has some of it, the sonata at least. The nocturnes aren't listed as being on the CD, but the link shows it's the same Nocturnes as your friends LP, so I'd bet that it's just an error in the discography they are actually on this CD: http://ls0169.uvt.nl/paul/cdp/modules.php?name=Discd&parent=&disc=64

Bad News - I have never seen that CD before and google is coming up with nothing.

5. coopmv

6. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

No, you're the second. I got this set the moment it came out. I was the first. :D

7. darkmatter

Very much appreciated George :cheers:

Will search with this info :)

8. George P

Me neither.

Be careful, I am finding some strange inconsistencies in that discography, so it might be that none of that stuff ever made it to CD. It seems very strange for them to put the live sonata on that CD and then follow it up with studio recordings. In fact, now that I think about it, I am skeptical that this stuff ever made it CD or at least not the one that I linked you to.

9. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from the following set, which arrived a few weeks ago for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

10. coopmv

Indeed, I know there are quite a number of recordings among my 4000+ LP's that have never been remastered into CD's.

11. coopmv

But when did you buy your set? This set has been out for less than a year, though the individual CD's have been available as singles for a number of years ...

12. wolfram

I pre-ordered it and got it for Christmas last year. I believe jpc.de was the first to offer it.

13. darkmatter

Found one :D

[​IMG]

14. coopmv

I placed the order with Presto Classical as soon as it announced availability for the set last November. It did not arrive until after Christmas. Four or five of the orders I placed in early December did not arrive until after the New Year, which really bummed me out ...

15. Jay F

Jay F New Member

MDT takes off between Christmas and New Year's.

16. coopmv

I knew about the MDT holiday schedule. I actually received its dispatch notifications a few days before its holiday schedule began. Yet I did not receive my orders until well after the New Year.

17. wolfram

See, I was the first. :goodie:

:winkgrin: I'm just kidding Stuart, I know what you meant. Looks like we two are the only ones owning this set. I'm surprised not even Robin seems to have it (since he's quite fond of Savall's Marais).

18. wolfram

With that you inspired me to put in this DVD-A with Schubert's string quintet. Always great.

[​IMG]

19. coopmv

I bought a few Tacet CD's at MDT last year when it was running a sale on that label. Tacet CD's are pricey and rarely discounted ...

20. wolfram

Yes, it's a small label without any big names to help them move big quantities. But the recordings are excellent and the surround mixes are outstanding in my opinion. These surely are the priciest classical discs I treat myself to.

21. coopmv

Koroliov actually is quite well-known among folks who are into JS Bach keyboard (piano) works. I bought the following twofer along with a few other Tacet CD's.

[​IMG]

22. wolfram

Ah, ok. Looks like he recorded quite a number of discs for Tacet. I was only aware of Markus Schirmer and Peter Orth as pianists for Tacet. Don't know if they are well known. Not to me at least (but that's not saying a lot). And I don't think I've ever seen a recording of the Auryn Quartet on another label. But they perform the majority of string related works for Tacet.

23. George P

Let me know if it contains any of those live performances? Live Ashkenazy is hard to come by.

24. coopmv

Now I wonder if this CD is only available in the UK.

25. coopmv

Koroliov is definitely better known as he has recorded a number of Bach CD's on Hanssler, another German label. I have never come across either Schirmer and Orth on other labels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.