Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #31)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

My experience with older recordings is that there usually a lot more going on in the lower midrange on 78s. It's not as much a matter of EQ as energy. Playing back a 78 in good condition with good engineering resulted in a very dynamic sound, but one where the region of most information and dynamics is in the lower mids. Both playback gear and recording have crept upward as regards the sonic "Center of gravity." If one has been raised on CDs, listening to 78 sourced materials can come as a shock. However, playback systems with more happening in the lower mids, like Magnapan and Advent speakers, are more likely to present more of what's good on these recordings and less of what's bad. Tube gear is also good for 78 based material. I see you have a rig with B & W speakers. I suspect a 78 transfer to CD would sound better through the B & W's than the Polks.

2. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Am listening now to Chopin's F-sharp major Barcarolle on this release. The notes do not give a specific recording date, but it is a stereo recording, and a good one.

[​IMG]

3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Yes, I had assumed that.

Perhaps for your taste, yes.

In most cases, I prefer my transfers to be as close to the original 78 as possible, meaning more surface noise and more high frequency info from the performance.

4. George P

Nice!

I have a discography for him at home that I can link you to later if you want.

5. My turntable is in a small room with an ONKYO receiver and the Polk bookshelf speakers. There is unfortunately no room for the B & W speakers. I wish.

6. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Until recently I was perfectly OK with only listening to music. Somehow, it has changed, and during the last year or so I collected a small but pretty nice library devoted to classical music and some (pretty oddly chosen) composers (thanks to friendly prices on "New" and "Like New" books at Books Depository and marketplace). So far I've gone through some abstracts and bits only (going to fix it after I've finished my studies) but these books definitely contain some critical views from the contemporaries.

The Slonimsky's bomb is still on my wish-list because of its super-subjective nature and rather steep pricing.

What I've already collected (not counting the ubiquitous Penguin CD Guide and Oxford Concise Music Dictionary and its Opera counterpart):

Attached Files:

7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD8, the last CD from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

8. coopmv

Now playing CD7 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

9. coopmv

Now playing CD4 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

10. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Busch Quartet

Robin, I believe the late Roger Beardsley handled all of the late 90's/early 00's transfers of the Busch Quartet reissues for Pearl. Adolf Busch biographer Tully Potter wrote liner notes for all of these. Beardsley often added fake reverb. Is it present on your set?

11. coopmv

Now playing CD3 - Beethoven "Emperor" Piano Concerto and 7th from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

12. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Yes, I would appreciate that, thank you :cheers:

13. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Bach collection ...

[​IMG]

14. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I'm very slowly, like glacially slowly, working my way through the first volume of Taruskin. I like it and his writing, but I'm finding it pretty tough going, perhaps because I know so little about the mass, psalmody, etc. It wasn't covered in Sunday school and if it were, I would have been just spacing out and eating candy anyway. I also put the brakes on it to go back even further, with this.

[​IMG]

15. George P

16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I wasn't thinking that—I'm firmly of the opinion that, assuming the best transfer work in each medium, CDs of 78 sourced material will beat LPs of 78 transfers. I'm thinking that you might be better off looking for CDs of historical material.

17. George P

If you can, post a WAV sample, say the first 60 seconds of the work. I am curious to hear it.

18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I'd have to hear the original 78s to know. Compared to other transfers of this music I've owned, I don't recall hearing additional reverb on the Pearl transfers. However, I didn't realize how much reverb usually got used on transfers of Charlie Parker's Savoy sides until I owned and heard the originals.

19. coopmv

Next in line for listening ...

[​IMG]

20. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

21. George P

22. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

I didn't start regularly reading classical music criticism (both old and new) until I was 20 - it really opened me up to so much about music and made me think about it in much more depth than before - even if you don't always agree with it, the insight and knowledge you gain from both a historical and current perspective is amazing.

23. George P

Yes, and I find that it helps one find the words to describe what one is hearing - not a small task.

24. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

25. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Deutsche Grammophon 2530 236.production:Karl Faust.recording supervision:Rainer Brock.recording engineer:Heinz Wilhagen.
    my impression:elegant,refined,controlled.

Attached Files:

• 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      30.6 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.