Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #32)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have an LP by him and Karajan - it might have been works by Rachmaninov ...

2. coopmv

I have Casals' Bach Cello Suites on EMI and believe they may be the same recordings ...

3. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Next up is this. Anyone interested in the slightest, check out the last track!

[​IMG]

The last two tracks are the best and I defy anyone to dislike them. One is a dance by Jobim that sounds like something that might be playing in a club in a Bond film. The last track is a dance by two other twentieth-century composers that if anything is even more catchy and lively.

Big, dynamic SACD sound. I hear the neighbors getting restless.

4. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

has anyone else here heard the Hutchins consort and its eight violin-like instruments? I think this is just so much better engineering, so to speak, than the standard four members of the violin family-although it presents a problem with repertoire to be sure...

5. coopmv

Are the labels Naxos and Marco Polo related?

6. drh

drh Talking Machine

I assume you're familiar with Rimsky-Korsakoff's trombone concerto? I have the same recording of it, with soloist Davis Shuman, in two guises: Circle L-51-103 and Classic Editions CD 1041, both (the Classic Editions catalogue prefix notwithstanding) being 12" mono LPs. Shuman invented some sort of modified trombone with an angled slide, if memory serves, that he plays in this recording; I forget what advantages it was supposed to have, but it exacted its cost in precision of intonation.

I don't have a lot of original trombone literature in my collection, but here's some of what shows up in my catalogue (which excludes CDs):

Albrechtsberger: Trombone Concerto in B-Flat. Zdenek Pulek; Prague ChO/Vajnar. Supraphon 1 10 1879, 12" stereo LP

Serocki: Suite for Four Trombones. Westfalisches Posaunenquartett. MDG MD+G 1094, 12" digital stereo LP

Pezel: Turmmusik in B-Flat for Two Trumpets and Three Trombones. J. and G. Spindler, tpts.; Erwin Kellner, Johann Tschedemnig, and Stefan Hausmann, tbns. In Orpheus set OR 331/332/333, 3 12" stereo LPs

Massaino: Canzona for 8 Trombones and Continuo. John Iveson, Alan Hutt, Roger Brenner, Gerard McElhone, Evan Watkin, Colin Busby, Harold Spain, Derek James, tmbns.; Joshua Rifkin, dir. Nonesuch H-71145, 12" stereo LP (mono was H-1145)

7. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Wow! Fascinating stuff. I've not heard the Rimsky-Korsakov, and of your others the only composer whose name I recognize is the first. I will have to bookmark this page. Off the top of my head, the only other trombone concerto I have in my collection is by Christopher Rouse.

It's not easy to write interesting music for the trombone. It doesn't seem to have a great expressive range.

Off-topic trivia question: What is the only top 10 hit single to feature a trombone solo? (It may even be the only top 40 single ever to have a trombone solo, for all I know. I made this question up. :D)

8. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Back to basics as the evening goes on.

[​IMG]

I never got around to making a best of 2011 list, but this would definitely be on it.

9. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Yes, they are owned by the same company. Many of the Marco Polo recordings are gradually appearing on the Naxos label as time goes by.

10. coopmv

Thanks. I have a good number of Naxos recordings, mainly the Naxos Historical but do not yet have any Marco Polo recordings ...

11. dale 88

There are probably others, but yes there is a top 10 hit single that had a trombone solo.

Warren Covington [trombone] with the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra.
    TEA FOR TWO CHA CHA.
    Reached Number 7 on the charts.

It was also featured in the Havana scenes in The Godfather, Part 2.

What prize can I expect? Will it be delivered by UPS or in person (like the Publishers Central Bureau)?:winkgrin:

12. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Your prize: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu3-xaUcDg8

13. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

The Bohm/VPO Bruckner 4.

14. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Last of the evening.

[​IMG]

15. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I'm coming to your door, with Ed McMahon . . . to announce that I've changed my question so as to clarify it applies only to rock 'n' roll and after. No big bands. ;)

16. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

17. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I was hoping for the "escaping Cuba" music, but no...

18. Jay F

Jay F New Member

On now. So good.

19. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

It is a great disc, one of my tops of 2011, too. :thumbsup:

20. drh

drh Talking Machine

The Rimsky is actually for trombone and military band, a souvenir of the composer's days as inspector of bands for the Imperial Russian Navy. I did a quick Wikipedia check and found that Mr. Shuman (given in Wikipedia as Schuman; I have no idea which is correct) gave the US premiere of the work--as late as 1952! My record would date to around then and presumably came into being as a byproduct.

21. dale 88

This was released today. I had preordered it.

James Ehnes, violin. Sydney Symphony. Vladimir Ashkenazy, conductor.
    Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto.

Onyx 4076. January 10, 2012. EhnesTchaik .jpg

Wonderful performance. It is live. Onyx knows how to do a live recording. Along with the Australian Broadcasting Corporation which was involved. Also included are Tchaikovsky's Serenade Melancolique; Valse-scherzo. And with Ashkenazy on piano the Souvenir d'un lieu cher where we get to hear the discarded middle movement of the Violin Concerto. It is the opening movement of the Souvenir.

Recording Location: Sydney Opera House
    Balance Engineer: Andrew Dixon
    Recording Engineer: Ross A'Hern
    Editing: Simon Kiln (Abbey Road Studios)
    Mixing: Arne Akselberg (Abbey Road Studios)

22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Yes, they are practically one and the same.

23. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

I think your right! How can that be?
    NAXOS and EMI share same recording that is??
    Now I'm a lil puzzled :shrug:

24. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I don't blame you. For my money, Ehnes (Canada) and Christian Tetzlaff (Germany) are the best fiddlers on the planet. I also am a big fan of Patricia Kopatchinskaja (Moldova) and Alina Ibragimova (Russia). I'm a 'first day buyer' of all these peeps, so thanks for the news on this one.

25. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Angel S-37001,1974.recorded in Abbey Road Studio No.1,2/17/73(Symphony)
    6/5/73(Portsmouth,Scapino) 9/18/73(Rio Grande).producer:Christopher Bishop.
    engineer:Christopher Parker.lots of lively music here.the Walton works,written
    from 1925 to 1961,are relatively conventional compared to the Lambert (1927),which is pretty wacky in a jazz-age way.Lambert,who died in 1951 at 46,was a talented conductor & father of Who manager/producer Kit Lambert.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      53.5 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.