Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #32)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

You'll be missed. Get better quickly.

2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Get well soon. :wave:

3. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Hope it's nothing serious?
    Get better soon...Holidays are a terrible time for health issues.
    Well anytime isn't good but esp Holidays!!

Have a Happy and Safe Holidays Buddy! :righton:

4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Get well soon, Jay. All the best!

5. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Ain't those blue label Angel LPs beautiful sounding? Must be the label.:D

6. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

[​IMG]

Came across this set and since I don't know any of Schubert's piano works yet, I would like to ask you guys for recommendations where to start. What are your favourite pieces, if any? At the moment I'm listening to the Sonata in G major, D894 op.78. Not bad at all.

Here's what's in this set (back side of an older edition). It's supposed to be everything he wrote for piano (even fragments).

Attached Files:

7. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

You started with my favorite Schubert sonata. :righton:

From there, I'd say work forward chronologically through the sonatas. But don't miss the lovely Impromptus, Moments Musicaux and D 946.

8. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

In a past thread far away, drh asked about the pianist Klara Wurtz:

I just opened a Brilliant box from 2010 (according to Amazon -Brilliant seems to have a thing about not dating their boxes) of Schumann: Complete Piano Works. 13 CDs and a CD-ROM of Booklet notes.
    BrilliantSchumannBox.jpg

Klara Wurtz is the artist for the first 4 discs. My first impression is very positive.

Here is a cover photo of Wurtz from a 2005 set I do not have. I didn't know that Brilliant had issued any SACDs.
    KlaraWurtzSACD.jpg

An artist page about Klara Wurtz:
    Klara Wurtz information

9. wolfram

:) Thanks. Looks like I need wiki to get some chronological order, cause I'm not yet sure about the order of this set.

10. George P

Nah, just follow the numbers upwards, ending with D 960. :righton:

11. wolfram

Ok, will do.

Until recently I have listened to very little solo piano music (mainly ensembles or orchestras), but this thread has really turned me on to this "genre". And I blame much of it on you. :cheers:

12. George P

This is blame I am delighted to accept. :righton:

13. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have a set of Mozart Symphonies issued by Brilliant in SACD - Jaap ter Linden and the Mozart Akademie Amsterdam. Based on the fine print, I think it may actually derive from a 44.1/16 recording.

14. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the Originals CD issue of this great performance.

15. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Mine too. :thumbsup: What recordings and performances have you heard/got?

I've heard it on a few occasions on the radio and live as well as having played it numerous times myself, but I still don't have it in my collection. The ideal performance would be one that includes the first movement repeat and takes the very tricky finale at a good pace, neither too leisurely nor rushed.

I echo that, but to Wolfram I'd personally suggest trying the A minor Sonata D 845 next, my second favourite. Although I prefer the G major for its greater lyrical beauty, this one is more all-encompassing; alternately dramatic, angry, tragic, calm (listen to that lullaby-like trio in that otherwise turbulent scherzo), joyous, dance-like with its emotional centerpiece a gorgeous theme and variations (a form that Schubert came only second to Beethoven in), it encapsulates everything that was great about Schubert's mature style, particularly in the piano pieces.

And as a further modification, I wouldn't suggest starting with the very first Schubert sonatas, as they're somewhat uneven in inspiration and a bit too derivative of Haydn and Beethoven (you might want to check out the dates, preferably from something a bit more reliable than Wikipedia). The sonatas D537 (A minor), D568 (E flat major), D575 (B major) have a youthful but already quintessential Schubertian charm, and would be an excellent starting point (after the two already mentioned).

16. George P

Richter's interpretation of this sonata speaks to me so deeply that I have not really bothered to hear other pianists play it. Incidentally, it was his favorite Schubert sonata too. The one in this set is my favorite of his recordings of the work (the sound is great, too):

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Richter-Master-Vol-Schubert-Sonatas/dp/B000PY302Q/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

This was the original CD issue:

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Schubert-Rich...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1324262859&sr=1-1

17. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

So your CD actually has the same cover as the original LP cover? The picture you showed in your post is that of the original LP cover ...

18. coopmv

Have all the volumes of these Richter the Master on Decca ever been released in a box?

19. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Thanks.

Is this the same performance as on here?

27 minutes for the first movement seems somewhat extreme (seems he was taking the "molto" tempo indication more than a little literally!) but I'd like to at least to hear the whole sonata in earnest before parting with my cash, as you can't really judge performances from 30-second samples.

20. George P

No, the CD has a different cover. I just liked the one I posted more.

No.

I don't know, but his interpretation of this work didn't vary very much.

They have the Schubert Master 2CD set on Spotify, so you can sample the whole thing there.

More info on Richter's Schubert Sonatas here: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=219448&highlight=richter

21. coopmv

New purchases made this evening ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Philips 835 004 AY.this is the import version of a recording released in the US
    on Epic BC-1016.recorded 7/1/58.there's a $2.35 price tag on the back that looks pretty vintage.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      43.5 KB
      Views:
  23. George P

Now playing:

[​IMG]

Schubert
    D 850

24. wolfram

:wave: Thanks for your recommendations, I will look for those in my set.

Had a fun discovery this morning while listening to this set. When the Impromptu No.3 in G flat Major came up I instantly recognized the melody from Manfred Mann's Earth Band's "Questions", a song I have heard countless times since my childhood. I long knew that it used a classical melody, but didn't know which. Now I know. :laugh:

25. George P

I adore the G flat. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.