Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #32)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

And I can see why. :)

2. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Well thats a cool looking picture - That are the germams I remember from when I wa a kid.....lol those glasses, cigarettes, dresses , haircuts everything down to the T.
    You should check out that Musik - Die Stimme Der Welt Box if you like Fricsay and the sound from those ton engineers at deca (Berlin's Herz Jesu Kirche was the main recording place in the 50ies and 60ies)

3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

If it's UMG, you have to check to make sure they allow all the movements to be streamed via Spotify. In my experience, UMG will not permit streaming of longer tracks. For instance, you can only get patchwork versions of Kempff's DG recordings (as I rediscovered this weekend). And forget about Mahler.

4. wolfram

My thoughts exactly when I saw the cover. Like a scene from "Der internationale Frühschoppen"*. :laugh:

*A weekly talk show on German TV in the 60s/70s, where men wearing glasses and chain-smoking discussed what happened in the world.

5. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Bummer. :shake:

Did that years ago. :laugh:

6. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

I'd be intrigued to hear how he tackles that one if/when I get a chance.

That's a notoriously difficult one to pull off, not because there's anything particularly technically demanding about it, but because there's a lot of chordal writing and octave passages (particularly in the first two movements) and in the wrong hands and without the right amount of sensitivity it can come across as heavy and chunky, without the poetry and variety in tone colour that Schubert's sonatas should always have.

7. George P

My thoughts on his take are in the thread that I linked to earlier. He's rythymic and brusque.

8. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

That's pretty uncanny, your thoughts echoed exactly what I felt was problematic about this sonata, only I'd have never have guessed Richter would be "the wrong hands"! Still, even flawed performances from great pianists can still be enjoyable, otherwise you wouldn't still be listening to it.

Excellent reviews there BTW - do you have a blog or are there any magazines/papers you submit this kind of stuff to, or was this purely a labour of love?

9. George P

It took a little getting used to, as many of his early performances do. His wife? said on The Enigma video that his tone took time to develop and I absolutely agree. In the early days he was a bit like a wild animal at the piano. In Beethoven and Rachmaninov, for example, this worked well, but for Schubert and Mozart, it didn't work as well. Later on though, he became more refined and blossomed into what I feel is the best pianist that ever lived.

Purely a labor of love.

10. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Funny, I got this LP a few days ago. I should clean it soon and have a listen.

11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I have her performance of Schubert's D. 960 in B flat. Very nice performance, well recorded.

12. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Just placed the last order from across the pond for the year ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. coopmv

Unfortunately, we no longer see such cover art on CD's. Most CD covers all look so distant and cold ...

14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

There is now some info on the Mercury Living Presence boxset on Amazon UK. And a cover.

15. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Yep, that was exactly my association, too Der Internationale Frühschoppen on sundays before lunch...

16. wolfram

Prost! :cheers:

17. George P

Now listening to Wilhelm Kempff have a go with the Schubert D 850.

So far, so good. The second movement, in particular, is sounding lovely right now.

18. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

A good one anywhere, anytime. :righton:

19. coopmv

Now playing CD1 - Goldberg Variations by Pierre Hantai from the following twofer, which arrived 2 days ago for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

20. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, which just arrived today for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

21. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

What a great cover! Bittersweet though to see such a great picture of Anda, with a cigarette in his mouth -- had he not liked them so much he'd likely have lived at least another 20 years. Do you have the Original Masters set "Troubadour of the Piano"? It is one of my favorite boxes, and has one of my two favorite Schumann Concertos.

22. coopmv

Now playing CD2 - Harpsichord Concertos by Pierre Hantai from the following twofer, which arrived 2 days ago for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

23. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Decca LK 4807,released 10/66.recorded in Kingsway Hall,9/10,11,15,25/65.
    producer:Marty Wargo.recording director:Tony D'Amato.engineer:Arthur Lilley.
    this is a Phase 4 recording,but in mono & without being identified as such.
    released in the US 11/66 as London Phase 4 PM 55006(mono) & SPC 21008
    (stereo).i don't know if it's because it was recorded by the Phase 4 team,but
    this just doesn't sound right to me.could it be just a fold-down from the stereo?

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      44.2 KB
      Views:
  24. wolfram

After listening to many hours of Schubert sonatas yesterday (and enjoying it a lot), I'm taking a little break today with this disc of Bach partitas played by Murray Perahia. The Partita No.6 sure is a thing of beauty. :love:

[​IMG]

25. George P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.