Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #33)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Save Linus, he still has the the best version of Für Elise, and his Bagatelles kick some tail as well IMO.

2. John S

John S Forum Resident

Thoought I'd revisit these:
    Debussy

Preludes Book 1
    Images Book 1
    Estampes

Preludes Book 2
    Images Book 2

Claudio Arrau, piano
    (recorded in Switzerland, 1979, 1980)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I know George likes Mozart in the morning, and I do too. But I like this also. Despite some bouncy moments, for me this music has a thread of diaphanous melancholia running throughout. It must be all the whole-tone harmonics. Arrau's tone -- power one moment and superb lightness the next -- is just about perfect.

3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Yes, Arrau's Debussy is tragically underrated.

4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I don't know if you are kidding or just humble. Trust me...your comments are far from lame and amateurish.:cheers:

5. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Another winning selection recommended by you for my collection! :righton:

6. Rose River Bear

Not in the RRB household!!!!

7. Rose River Bear

Excellent disc.

8. Graphyfotoz

Me too! American Pickers ranks up there too.
    Wonder how often these people find Classical Records and the like?
    Probably just toss em. :(

9. Graphyfotoz

Since Debussy was mentioned....
    My favorite Debussy on the spin currently.

[​IMG]

10. drh

drh Talking Machine

Just a word of warning, however: in her complete cycle of the concerti (originally on Epic), her fine playing is seriously undercut by woefully prosaic orchestral accompaniment. Very much a disappointment.

11. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Although I like the Brendel Haydn, I actually prefer some of the Jando Haydn sonatas. The set has given me continuing pleasure.

Jeno Jando
    JenoJando.jpg

12. crickbob

crickbob Member

Although I really like MOG above all the others, it's search function is weird.

For example, if I click on the first URL on my PC (haven't tried the Mac yet) it opens the MOG player and it comes up entitled "Intro to Classical 1 - Non-Vocal". And, click on the 2nd URL and MOG opens to "Intro to Classical 2 - Vocal". Nice.

However, I have a Sonos system in the house and MOG works with that. If I do a search on Playlists it only will give me "Intro to Classical 2 - Vocal" not the Non-Vocal one.

The MOG app on my iPhone gives me the same results in the search.

John, did you make them both "public"?

I'm going to send a support ticket into MOG with this info. This, and some other things they need to fix. For example, I would like to import your playlist into my playlists and I'm not sure I can do that.

Anyone have any experience with this? Hope it's not off topic here but John put so much work into this specifically for MOG users interested in Intro to Classical (like me) that it seems like something easily fixable on MOG's end. Especially if they want to attract, and keep, more paying customers. Love the service and sound quality, but it needs to be fixed.

13. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Three pieces of 180 vinyl on their way /descriptions from the web(thanks for pointing out this label some time ago, Eddie.):

[​IMG]

Recorded on September 20, 21 and 23, 1960, (Symphony No.5) and January 5 and 6, 1959, (Finlandia) at London's famous Kingsway Hall venue. Produced by Walter Legge and Engineered by Douglas Larter (Harold Davidson - Finlandia). 180-gram audiophile vinyl cut from original EMI master tapes at EMI's Abbey Road Studios from the original stereo analog master tapes with the Neumann VMS80 lathe fed analog precut signal from a specially adapted Studer A80 tape deck with additional playback head.

[​IMG]

This classic early stereo recording (1955-1957) has been cut at EMI's Abbey Road Studios from the original EMI master tapes and pressed on 180-gram vinyl on original EMI presses at The Vinyl Factory in Hayes, England. It features the original album artwork.

"When we try to show our grandchildren why Beecham was for us so godlike a musician...we shall certainly pull this record from the rack." - Gramophone, 1959

[​IMG]

(Large shot because the pic is so stinking cool.)
    This famous LP was recorded at the Kingsway Hall, London on May 10-11, 1962,
    except for the Tallis Fantasia which was recorded in the sonorous acoustic of the medieval Temple Church in the City of London a week later. The latter venue was suggested by the American composer and conductor Bernard Herrmann, a friend and admirer of Barbirolli since Sir John’s years in New York.

From Herrmann's website:
    “Herrmann insisted that ‘it must be done in a stone building not a studio’. So Herrmann suggested the Temple Church. The recording session was started at midnight to avoid traffic noise. According to Ursula Vaughan Williams (the composer’s widow): "Coats and bags and thermos flasks were piled round the effigies of Crusader Knights. Bernard was there, listening to the balance, listening to the music, and the resulting record is by far the best ever made of the work."

Produced by the legendary Victor Olof and engineered by Harold Davidson and Neville Boyling (Tallis).

14. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Rolling out:

[​IMG]

15. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD3, the last CD from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

16. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Listening for the 1st time to Chopin's Sonata, with La marche funèbre, after reading about it in Milan Kundera's essay, L'art du roman.
    Live rendition.

Attached Files:

17. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Picked up this one in the used bins today, not familiar with the artist. Anyone heard this?

[​IMG]

18. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Linn, right? I have the two above as hi-rez files and they sound very nice. :)

I ordered an SACD as well today:

[​IMG]

Anyone here know Guillaume Bouzignac? I never heard of him, but there are not many surround TACETs left for me to get, and I listened to some Bouzignac motets on my streaming service yesterday. Lovely stuff.

19. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I did make them both public. I wonder if a 480 item playlist is too big for the apps to handle.

20. coopmv

Now playing CD10 - keyboard works by Couperin, Poglietti, Grigny and Rameau from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

21. coopmv

:righton:

22. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Just tried a search using the Squeezebox app and had the same result as you had. I confirmed the "Public" status. I even tried renaming the playlist with a gibberish name and searched for that. No luck Seems like a bug in MOG.

As for importing, can you import it as a favorite? That option seemed available.

Edit - if you can figure out how to add my playlist to favorites on the web (I couldn't, but MOG help says you can) you might have a viable workaround.

23. Rose River Bear

The Barbirolli is a classic. Betcha it will sound great on vinyl.

24. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Fingers are crossed. Just depends on what they had to work with from the vault. I will report as soon as it lands.

25. coopmv

Now playing CD3 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.