Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #35)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I agree with your friend.

ZK is also the only pianist on record that I have heard that plays most of Greig's solo piano work "correctly". No other pianist plays the dance rhythms with any dance quality. Every other pianist sounds like they are playing Chopin instead of Greig.:D

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Unfortunately, not all concert pianists turned conductors become my favorites. Case in point, I like Barenboim much more as a pianist than as a conductor ...

3. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, another recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

4. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I've been meaning to check this one out for some time.

By the way, I notice that it is a remaster, and I have a classical newbie question: are classical remasterings generally different from those in pop/rock? In other words, are classical remasterings more often actual sonic improvements, or do they involve compression and noise reduction as in most other genres? Just wondering whether the usual rock "rule of thumb"--that when in doubt one should seek out earlier, unremastered versions--also applies to classical.

5. coopmv

The SQ is actually excellent and the performance is respectable. This recording was made in 74 and was no doubt an analog recording. Whether any compression and NR were used really depend on the label. I heard EMI employs such technique more so than UniversalMusic but am not expert in this area.

6. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

This is a useful thread with regard to DG's remastering of older titles:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php?topic=12997.0

There is also an older thread here which I do not recommend that you read. ;)

7. coopmv

I survived these Schoenberg works. They are actually not as dreadful as I have expected. I like them much more than I do Bartok works ...

8. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

We'll turn you into a fan of 20th Century music yet, Stuart. :D

9. coopmv

Joe, I actually have gotten comfortable with Mahler works and have always liked Sibelius, if we consider them as 20th century composers. I think I will never have any works by Stockhausen in my collection ...

10. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

the key to the Rachmoninov sonata is that is has to be heard in the original version, not the revision.

11. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

to anyone skeptical of/freightened by 20th century music (or if you want to narrow it down to 12-tone 2nd Viennese school) go and see Berg's Wozzeck live. Then, listen to the Violin Concerto. Schoenberg can be approached after Berg, and also most ideally after Mahler's 10th Symph adagio/1st movement.

For Bartok, a must listen is Piano Concerto #2 movement 2, a prime example of Bartok's "night music".....picture a Magritte painting scored for music.

12. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, another recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

13. Our last offical "Winter" rain, wind, and snow Storm is upon us in Southern California. I have been staying inside the tent, for the past two days, and listening to the following Long Play Records purchased at my favorite thrift store. 10 LPs for only $5.00

There they were: all three LP box sets, calling my name.

Instantly they were in my hands.

Beethoven: The Complete Quartets: Recorded in France.

Volume 1: The Early Quartets: Nos. 1 - 6 (4 LPs)
    Volume 2: The Middle Quartets: Nos. 7 - 11 (3 LPs)
    Volume 3: The Late Quartets: Nos. 12 - 16 & Groose Fuge (3 LPs)

Performed by the

Hungarian Quartet:

In 1950 the quartet adopted the United States of America as its home.

Zoltan Szekely (1st Violin) born on December 8, 1903 - Koce, Hungary.*
    Michael Kuttner (2nd Violin) born on February 9, 1918 - Budapest, Hungary.**
    Denes Koromzay (viola) born on May, 18, 1913 - Budapest, Hungary. ***
    Gabor Magyar (cello) born on December 14, 1914 - Budapest, Hungary. ****

* "Szekely studied composition with Zoltan Kodaly. In 1960 he became a US Citizen and moved to California from Holland. He plays a Stradivarius which dates from 1718 which bears the name, "Michelangelo"." :Quote.

** "In 1945 Kuttner, became both conductor of the New York City Ballet Opera Company and Leonard Bernstein's assistant. He became a Naturalized US Citizen in 1954. He plays a Petrus Guarmerius which dates from 1704 and bears the name, "Santa Theresa"." Quote.

*** "In 1936 Koromzay was one of the founding members of The Hungarian Quartet, as a viola player. During the period of 1942-43 he played the viola in the Amsterdam Concertgebouw under Mengelburg." He plays a Michele Decanet (Venice) which dates from 1766" :Quote.

**** "Magyar also studied under Zoltan Kodaly. After the WW2 he was released from a German concentration camp. After the war he was Chair of Cello and Chamber Music at the State Univesity of Oklahoma, and gave a series of concerts across the United States. When Vilmos Palotal left the Hungarian Quartet, Magyar took his place. He plays a Alessandro Gagliano (Naples) which dates from 1706". :Quote.

Angel Seraphin SIC-6005 The Early Quartets (Stereo)
    Angel Seraphin SIC-6006 The Middle Quartets (Stereo)
    Angel Seraphin SIC-6007 The Late Quartets (Stereo)

Review:

Outstanding performance and recording with wonderful ancient string instruments.

Record groove in great shape, very quiet and clean sound.

Beethoven on a cloudy rainy day, Ah, nothing can compare!

14. Rose River Bear

The first time you have heard these?

Love the recording but there are better "nights" out there. :cheers:

15. Rose River Bear

Just strings and piano (mostly) in that second movement. Reminds me of the "Outer Limits" theme. Sounds like fifths.

One of my favorite movements in any piano concerto. Amazing stuff. :righton:

16. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Listened to my LP of the Durufle Requiem conducted by the composer, from an Erato recording. It is good, but the sound quality from many years ago leaves me wanting more. I haven't heard the digital transfer which is now available on Apex. I am tempted.

However I also have the Telarc CD from 1987 with Robert Shaw and the Atlanta Symphony. I am currently very satisfied with his interpretation.

Shaw, Robert & Atlanta Symphony Orchestra - Fauré; Duruflé_ Requiem.jpg

17. coopmv

Indeed. I have to check but doubt I have any works by Schoenberg in my LP collection. This is definitely the first Schoenberg's CD for me ...

18. coopmv

Now playing CD12 - Purcell Anthems and Instrumental Music from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

19. Rose River Bear

What a great Purcell disc. :righton:

20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

that's the kind of deal that keeps one hunting.it seems dreadfully unfair that
    you found them rather than me!
    i've listened several times recently to this LP:London 411 643-1,released 1984.can't quite make up my mind about this performance.parts seem over-refined & drawn-out,while other sections in contast seem a bit rough & abrupt.the 3d movement times at 18:51,which i believe is rather long compared to other recordings.recorded in Kingsway Hall,12/11-14/82.
    producer:peter Wadland.engineer:John Pellowe.

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      33.6 KB
      Views:
  21. Rose River Bear

Ain't that a beautiful piece of wax.:righton:

22. coopmv

Yes, the late Leonhardt really had the Midas touch.

23. Hello Professor Vanhooser.

Wait one minute Doc, you live in a "Horn of Plenty" area of the USA, which provides you a lot more LPs to collect.

Lucky you. I just lucked out again.

Regarding:

Beethvoen's Quartet No. 15 in a mnor Op.s 132

The Hungarian Quartet LP timmings follow:

I "Assai sostenuto - Allegro" 10:00
    II "Allegro ma non troppo" 07:35
    III. "Molto adagio" 15:55
    IV. "Alto marcia, assai vivace - Piu allegro
    V. Finale (Allegro appassionato) 8:55

By the way the Angel set of the Complete Beethoven Quartets were recorded in
    Paris, France in 1966.

Your comments are fair, since you a refinded afisonado of Beethoven!

Yes, the Fitzwilliam Quartet does play that movement (III) rather long.

By the way notice how old those string instruments were back in 1966>

1704 = 262 years old
    1706 = 260 years old
    1718 = 248 years old
    1766 = 200 years old

Guess what occured in 1776? Wow

Cheers, Your Long Play Fan, listening to more Beethoven tonight.

24. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

Thank you. Sounds pretty grim in general for DG as far as sound quality goes. Believe it or not, DG is probably the only major classical label from whom I have not a single CD yet (though I'll probably get the second 111 boxed set).

It also sounds like there's little consensus, and no one mentions compression. I wonder if that means that it isn't an issue (because classical labels know better than to use it), or the posters just don't know about it.

25. BEETHOVEN: The Complete Quartets

It took me three winter stormy days to finish all 10 LPs.

Friday = Early, Satudrday = Middle and Sunday = Late quartets.

Ok, I will pat myself on the back.

I am now listening to the follow LP:

CBS MasterWorks IM 5826 Release date 1980

Engineer: Bud Graham Recorded 1979

CBS Mastersound Series:

Digital Recording

Extended Range Recording

Half-Speed Mastering

Audiophile Record Pressing Process

Richard Strauss: (1864 - 1949)

"Strauss wrote all seven of his tone poems between the ages of 24 and 34."

"Don Juan" Op. 20 Strauss wrote this piece at age 24.

"Till Eulenspiegel" Op. 28

"Death and Transfirguration"

Cleveland Orchestra

L. Maazel

Review: I prefer the "classic" conductors: F. Reiner / Chicago and G. Szell / Cheveland Orchestra.
    I plan to take this CBS LP back to the thrift store and put it back into circulation. It only cost me .50¢

What we hear inside the groove of a Long Play 33 1/3 record is just amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.