Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #36)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Apr 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Yes, I have the book where he attempts to discredit Beethoven. This from the guy who wore winter gloves in the summer time. :laugh:

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

My set is still in its cellophane.

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Placed another small order this evening with one of my favorite MP vendors - more early music ...

[​IMG]

4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Regarding the effects of "mood" and its homogeneous effectuate result on all classical music listeners and those that come into contact with any form of art...

Collector Man's comment on "Bruckner vs Dvorak" is not "odd criticism". The subject point he is candidly making and referring to is about "MOOD", You are missing his point.... Mood is what makes your day, what makes you select a composer and a certain work of his, which is written in a sad, happy, spiritual, or nationalistic, etc. Mood!

We also look a paintings the same way.

and...the resolution to the debate.....

Thanks for clearing that up.:laugh:

5. Rose River Bear

I was hoping for more information......perhaps the historical structural evolution of the the tone poems of Dvorak to those of say..Franz Liszt. :cheers:

6. Rose River Bear

You took a chance and won.

What a great recording. But I must add a condition....it depends on what "mood" I am in whether I will choose to listen to it or not. Let's say...an American Mood and it will fit the bill. :cheers:

Hey wait..I am an American so I must always be in the mood to listen to this disc....eureka.!!!

7. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Just beginning my classical journey...

Hi All,

I've recently got back into vinyl (never sold mine...just in storage for 24 years).
    I had mostly classic rock, some jazz, some blues but no classical. While the TT was in storage I very mildly got into cd's and along the way began a very slow climb into the world of classical music - but very limited.

But I ordered a few classical Lp's from a record shop...enjoyed them very much; went to a live Baroque concert and started asking some questions. 30 or so Lp's into this classical journey and I'm more and more excited about the journey.

As a starting question could anyone give me a few recommendations on Chamber or Full Orchestra works featuring cello and separate from that also works featuring flute and finally works featuring harp? (Must be available on vinyl)

For me specific and thorough information is very helpful in tracking down the album - ie. artist, orchestra, composer, label, year recorded, etc.

Thanks for helping out a new "classical kid on the block"!!

Good listening,

cat9

8. Rose River Bear

George....are you saying that GG was eccentric!! There are many recording engineers that would disagree with you.:winkgrin::winkgrin::winkgrin:

9. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

:laugh:

10. Rose River Bear

Here is a great start that combines the flute and harp....the greatest recording ever that features both instruments as concerti....the concerto for Flute and Harp by Mozart. When you see any Marriner recording of Mozart, you know you have a winner.

$(KGrHqZ,!qcE88ftTz9SBPbneYEh6g~~60_57.jpg

11. Rose River Bear

I know I know.....when you look up the definition of eccentric pianists in the Penguin Guide...the reference states..."See Glenn Gould". :cheers:

12. Rose River Bear:

I appreciate your "Happy Mood" and commentary!

"What a great recording. But I must add a condition....it depends on what "mood" I am in whether I will choose to listen to it or not. Let's say...an American Mood and it will fit the bill."

"Hey wait..I am an American so I must always be in the mood to listen to this disc....eureka.!!!"

In Regards to: RRB "I was hoping for more information" in regards to The Noon Witch.

Cheers, Long Play Fan

Attached Files:

13. The Noon Witch story continued:

Attached Files:

14. Dvorak: Complete Symphonic Poems; Illustrations

Attached Files:

15. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Thanks Rose River Bear for the recommendation. I will seek to find a copy a.s.a.p.

If you have other suggestions please continue to offer them - most appreciated.

Good listening,

cat9

16. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

another recent $1.95 purchase.swift,very energetic performances in
    decent early digital sound.recorded 6/15-16/81,Abbey Road.producer:
    John Fraser.engineer:Stuart Eltham.

Attached Files:

17. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

If I recall I gave like $16 for my set ULN a STEAL and it was a worthy investment! :righton:
    I too was impressed with the performance...it's also a Penguin Guide Top Rosette Winner! ;)

18. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Turns out I have seven recordings of the Brahms violin concerto. There were two in the Oistrakh box (Szell and Klemperer). Plus, there's a recording with Gidon Kremer in the EMI HvK box (which I do not believe I have yet played).

I listened to the first movement of Szell/Oistrakh last night througn my respectable second system (Apple lossless on Squeezebox Touch, Cambridge Audio 840A amp and Thiel 1.5 speakers). It is considerably more leisurely than the Heifetz/Reiner - seemed more Maestoso than Allegro non Troppo - but it held together for me. And I hear a lot of melody in it. Always have.

Interestingly, comparing timings of the different performances, the Heifetz is definitely the outlier. I have merged the movements into a single "song" on my hard drive, so I can't break the performances down movement by movement, but while the other 6 recordings run 39 - 41+ minutes the Heifetz is 35 and change. (Kremer/HvK is the longest - I haven't compared cadenzas).

What was deeply disappointing about the Szell/Oistrakh was the sound quality. Utter lack of spaciousness. The string sound was thin and screechy. I played brief excerpts from 5 others, and they were all significantly better (including two others on EMI).

I think the Szell/Oistrakh was released on Esoteric as well as part of the new EMI Signature collection. Can anyone comment on the SQ?

19. john greenwood

I'm reading Wolf Hall (about Henry VIII and Thomas Cromwell). Maybe I need to order that for background music.

20. john greenwood

Cello - the place to start has to be the 6 Bach Suites for solo cello. Many, many fine recordings. Favorites here would include Bylsma, Fournier and Starker. (If you can find a good copy of Szeryng on Mercury you are a lucky man.)

After that, I would recommend the Beethoven (Rostropovich/Richter) and Brahms (Rostropovich/Serkin) cello sonatas and the Elgar (get Du Pre) and Dvorak (I like Starker) cello concertos.

Quickly due to time constraints:

Flute and harp as a combo - not so much. The Mozart concerto has been mentioned. There's a lovely work by Ravel too.

Flute alone - Bach and Handel each wrote some lovely sonatas for flute and continuo. Poulenc wrote a beautiful flute sonata.

21. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Last night's listening session:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Oistrakh and Mitropoulos' Shostakovich is the first recording of the concerto in glorious mono sound captured a few days after the premier. This is a great concerto, if you guys are not familiar with it you should check it out.

The Bruggen is a 1968 recording of various English pieces for viols and recorders. One of the most quiet vinyl pressings I have in my collection, West German Telefunken (Das Alte Werk). Available on digital here although the CD is OOP.

[​IMG]

22. john greenwood

If all vinyl was as quiet as those Telefunken pressings, I would still own a turntable.

23. john greenwood

That should have read Starker. :hide:

24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I know, I am getting frustrated with vinyl all the time!

25. canzld

canzld Forum Resident

But he wrote some of the best (most entertaining) jacket notes ever! Worth collecting his lps for the commentary alone. I'm always a bit amazed at what they let him write.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.