Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #37)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here

Welcome! :wave:

This thread (and the 36 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, discuss classical works, classical composers, classical performers, etc.

Beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to offer my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that have made this such and enjoyable and informative experience thus far! You guys are still the best! :righton:

2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I've strayed from the classical path a bit lately, but I'm still lurking around this corner. Keep it going guys.

:wave:

3. George P

Awesome avatar!! Love that album. :righton:

4. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

My favourite album by one of my favourite bands.

RIP MCA. :(

5. George P

Me too, on all counts.

6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

More new early music, now playing the following CD, which arrived two days ago for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Just marking the territory...

8. coopmv

Jim, This is a beautiful CD, just sharing my impression with a fellow member of CMC who is into early music as well ...

9. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from the following twofer, which arrived yesterday for a first listen. The VPO with Karajan, Maazel, Bohm, Abbado and Boskovsky and it looks like a compilation of the New Year Concert by the VPO recorded over the years ...

[​IMG]

10. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

This record, and its follow-up ("More songs my father taught me"), fill a really nice space, with some lovely songs and singing, of ballads I'd most likely not otherwise come across.

[​IMG]

11. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Who are the composers of those songs, or it mainly traditional/folk stuff?

12. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

British Composers from various eras.

13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Managed to find an original issue of Ormandy and Philadelphia performing the 'Eroica' for fifty cents at a yard sale today, a decent looking grey label, the series right after the six-eye label. Truth to tell, the real find were the two Grey-label Capitol LPs of Frank Sinatra—'A Swingin' Affair' and 'In the Wee Small Hours.'

14. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

15. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Mostly British composers from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, some traditional songs.

Full set of notes here: http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/notes/4955acc59ef35e63/67290-B.pdf

Right now the downloads are only four pounds.

16. coopmv

17. coopmv

Almost done with playing CD2 from the following twofer for a first listen. Great SQ and excellent performance ...

[​IMG]

18. coopmv

Now playing the following CD for a second listen ...

[​IMG]

19. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

scompton, I recently picked up this version of the Debussy in a 2010 reissue from Decca Eloquence Australia. It was recorded in 1961 and released in 1962 from The Melos Ensemble. The recording engineer was Kenneth Wilkinson. I thought that even if I didn’t like the performance at least the sound would be good. I liked both.

A Penguin guide from 2011 lists this Eloquence reissue with these words:
    MelosRavelDebussy (2).jpg

In the notes the original producer Ray Minshull explains why they recorded it in the back corner of the Walthamstow Assembly Hall under the balcony.

20. coopmv

Now playing CD6 - Piano Concerto No. 2 by Hans Werner Henze, the last CD from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

But who is Hans Werner Henze?

21. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

They're British though, that shouldn't cause too much fear for you. ;)

22. Just attempted to follow your link and Hyperion is none too happy about it:

"You appear to have followed a link which attempts to directly access a digital asset such as an MP3 or PDF file.

For reasons that we hope would be obvious to you, Hyperion strives to protect certain digital assets, specifically, MP3 files, hi-resolution album images, and booklets/notes from potential abuse.

You are welcome to access these things by navigating the Hyperion site in the normal way, but not to deep-link to them from other websites.
    "

I managed to navigate my round the Hyperion site - I would have thought Hyperion would have welcomed recommendations etc., from elsewhere.

Best Wishes
    David

23. coopmv

Perhaps. I am quite used to Tallis and Byrd. I am fine with Elgar as well ...

24. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

25. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Composer of various operas like The Raft of the Frigate Medusa & El Cimarron, plus 9 symphonies etc.
    I remember this Piano Concerto No 2 on its original DG vinyl release....being referred to as a "psycho drama!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.