Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #40)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

now listening to this set I've just found in the mailbox : only £ 3.34 from Amazon UK marketplace.Old fatbox case, booklet and discs in pristine conditions. Wow! Wonderful performance and music

[​IMG]

2. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Sorry looks like a redundant last statement as I was half asleep at the time.
    "I even tried to PM him with no answer"
    Meant to say I PM'd him several times since with no answer. :rolleyes:

3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

My guess would be that, unlike me, he has a life. :laugh:

I'm sure he's OK. Prior to his last visit, he hadn't been around for quite awhile.

4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Another Classical Forum Freebie. Another double I just found. My disorganization is your gain.:D

US only on this one though.....sorry.

This is a four disc set! First to PM me gets it for free.

51y3R6Tj31L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

5. Graphyfotoz

Dude dude dude!!
    You need organization like me....it's well worth the few $$!!
    Been using this for YEARS!
    I have it on my main computer and take it with me everywhere on my iPhone!

http://www.collectorz.com/music/

6. Rose River Bear

Gone. Guess who. :D

7. Rose River Bear

If I tried to categorize my collection using your advice at this point, I would never be able to listen to music from all the time spent. Wish I had started way back when. :cheers:

8. Graphyfotoz

Ummmmmmmmm......????? :angel:

9. Graphyfotoz

Good God man....how many you up to?
    Mine after todays score will be 340 diff titles.
    Individual CD's I have in several sets counted.....at least 500!!

I know I know for many here that is a mere penance! :sigh:
    For me it's a lot as I don't have a very big place to store 1000+ :shake:
    Small house limited storage for anything.

10. Rose River Bear

At least 3,000-4,000. :eek:

That is just classical.

11. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have owned this CD for some twenty years ...

12. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, a recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

13. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I would have grabbed that if I weren't pretty set on buying the forthcoming big box.

14. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Dude, Where's My CD?

The surfer from NY? :shh:

15. coopmv

I designed a simple Excel spreadsheet years ago where I only tabulate my classical CD & DVD collection. I have never bothered to do the same for non-classical. The total is getting close to 6000, though the clasical CD's alone now count to 5309. But I also have 4000+ LP's (which I rarely play but do not want to part with them either) and a few hundred cassettes and open reels. My open reels have some one of a kind live concerts by Hogwood and Harnoncourt and a few other conductors. These are probably the real musical treasure I have to protect since open reel tapes do deteriorate over time ...

16. coopmv

There are only two from NY in CMC and commuter should not count, right? :D

17. drh

drh Talking Machine

That's the beauty of storing your music on a hard drive--you can keep thousands of discs'/disks'/tapes'/cylinders' worth of music at your fingertips without needing accessible storage for physical objects. By now I've copied most of my CDs (would be all if I hadn't gone on a couple of recent buying binges :sigh:), and those that I've copied, for the most part, are living in nondescript cardboard cartons in an off-site storage locker.

Another advantage: you can break up couplings and store like with like--say, all your recs. of the Schumann pno. cto. in one folder, all those of the Grieg in another, or all your Beethoven Sym. 5s in one and all your Schubert "Unfinished"s in another, instead of having them inevitably joined at the hip for the convenience of the record company. Back in the 78 era and before, people thought of, say, Chopin nocturnes as individual pieces, not as part of a single gigantic suite to be heard end-to-end at a sitting. The latter way of thinking came in only with the advent of the LP album, which was a real advance for long works (no more side breaks within movements) but was quite poorly adapted to presenting single pieces. Putting music on a hard drive gives us the best of both worlds: capacity for long works but no fixed length calling for aggregation of short ones.

Yes, copying and labeling CDs is tedious. I don't recommend it for those who, like, say, George or coopmv, have thousands of the things. (Mind you, that didn't stop me, but it's been an odyssey now into its 3d or 4th year.) At 3-500, though, you could pretty readily finish the process fairly quickly. Remember, you can set a CD to ripping as you leave for work and come back to the finished product at the end of the day; you can do the same when you go to bed for the night; you can do the same when you start preparing a meal; etc., etc., etc. Once it's done, the computer will wait for you to come back and pick up where you left off. Once you're done, it's just a matter of keeping up with your new acquisitions. Something I do very well. Yeah. Right. :rolleyes:

18. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, another recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

19. coopmv

The question is, how many backup drives do you have to continue backing up your primary drive to since hard-drives are notorious for their unexpected failures. I have gone through such experience a number of times. As such, I now maintain a few terabytes of hard-drives for making backups just in case ..

20. drh

drh Talking Machine

That is a fine set, and an important one. Although Heinichen was by no means entirely unknown before, MAK pretty much established him in the public eye for modern listeners with these committed, persuasive performances. Good stuff!

We also owe MAK a debt of gratitude, by the by, for demonstrating conclusively that there's a lot more to Georg Philip Telemann than came through in the endless procession of drab, semi-bored runthroughs that we'd endured on record before. Certainly others have come along and mined this fecund body of work as or more effectively since, but as far as I heard MAK was the first group on record to come across as really believing in Telemann and selling him to the public.

I've just overhauled my system for greater security. The "main" drive is a 2 TB Western Digital USB outboard unit; as it's less than half full at this point, I back it up to a 1 TB Seagate, and I've just added a 2 TB Buffalo network attached storage drive as another backup (and to give access to the files from all my computers besides the one in the music room). I figure that using different brands is extra insurance against multiple simultaneous failures. Note that backup is easily automated or semi-automated, again something that the computer can handle unattended when I'm asleep or away.

21. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Just listening to this CD - anyone familar with the recording/players?

[​IMG]

I heard the first when I was 19 and I've loved it ever since - although the longest of the three by some distance, you hardly notice the difference in length, with its never-ending and enchanting stream of melody, a bit akin in this respect to Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto, whose first movement alone almost stretches to 20 minutes. But the other two are equally great, particularly No.2, in its Brahms' quintessentially autumnal late style. No one could accuse Brahms of being stuffy, academic and unmelodic after hearing any of these works.

22. coopmv

Now playing CD3 - WTC II Vol. 1 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

23. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Playing a few quartets from the Angeles String Quartet complete Haydn quartets box set (no, I still haven't finished with it!) via a random selection - started with Op.33 no.6 (D major), currently playing Op.55 no.1 (A major), to be followed by Op.9 no.2 (Eb major), Op.17 no.3 (Eb major), Op.54 no.3 (E major) and Op.20 no.5 (F minor).

24. coopmv

Now playing CD4 - WTC II, Vol. 2 by Christiane Jaccottet from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

25. Rose River Bear

Yeah the CM thread surfer. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.