Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #46)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Just sat down to do a quick comparison between the new box and the All Baroque Box - there are a few duplicates (mostly in major works like Bach's Mass in B Minor (Gardiner) and Monteverdi's Vespers (McCreesh IIRC)). Some works are common to the two but by different ensembles. But the lion's share (at least 75% I would say) seems to be different works and different performers. I am glad to have both.

The one Mozart disc in the Archiv box is Bilson/Gardiner doing Piano Concertos 18 & 19, while the M111 box has their 20th and 24th - no overlap there.

2. John S

John S Forum Resident

There are many great Columbia covers of that era, and that Bernstein Rite is among the greatest. That version was the very first I ever heard of that work. Sadly, I never owned the LP, nor did I get the CD when they issued it. Now they want $300 for a used copy of the CD over on Amazon.

3. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

4. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

The new LP is about $23 at Amazon and the new CD version, in a nice mini-LP package, is only $9.99 at Amazon.

[​IMG]

John S likes this.
  5. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

Yep I preordered that earlier today when I was searching for a CD copy to buy.

Does anybody know anything about the pressing? Will there be more old Columbia reissues I wonder?

edit: This is all I found, from the product description on MD:

"This reissue of Bernstein’s 1958 recording of Le Sacre du Printemps is a brand new audio transfer from the original analogue reels and is also available on 180g audiophile quality vinyl. It also includes the original cover art of the now-iconic image by Gray Foy that would turn out to be the quintessential visual equivalent to Stravinsky’s music. ..In addition, the package has photos of Bernstein and Stravinsky plus images from the New York Philharmonic recording sessions and an essay by Jonathan Cott, writer and editor for Rolling Stone magazine."

6. John S

John S Forum Resident

7. John S

John S Forum Resident

8. John S

John S Forum Resident

9. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

John S likes this.
  10. John S

John S Forum Resident

Salonen? Which, the LA or the Philharmonia?

11. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

John S likes this.
  12. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

LA. I really like that recording.

13. Rose River Bear

I like that recording.

14. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

As an occasional lurker, I can only add that I have only one recording of The Rite of Spring, and it's the Salonen SACD. A nice sounding disc with pretty brisk playing, I need re-evaluate it ASAP. (Actually, I haven't been showing here for a reason: I basically stopped buying classical discs and box sets last year, not counting very few opera bargains, mostly on DVD's or used CD's, but still can't catch up with what I had bought by then. :doh: )

15. Rose River Bear

I recently sold all of my LPs and vinyl related gear on Ebay and here. Not sure if I will regret it someday. :doh:

16. Rose River Bear

I have a bunch of Rites but I could live with only that one.

17. John S

John S Forum Resident

I know exactly what you mean. I've got some catching up to do myself -- and I've got limited time to do it. All this doesn't mean you can't check in here more often. :)

18. drh

drh Talking Machine

I'm reaching way, way back into Internet prehistory here, but back when I first started playing around on line, back in the days of Prodigy and its ilk, I subscribed for a time to CLASSM-L, the (unmoderated) Classical Music Mailing List. "Met" some very nice folks that way and had some really rewarding discussions, but unfortunately it eventually went the way of all such things and died in a conflagration of flame wars. Before that, however, I recall that Pettersson was discussed with much favor by many well-versed members, and I'm pretty sure that the seventh sym. was frequently put forth as embodying his work at its best. I also vaguely recall that the man had a wretched life, I'm thinking both financially and physically. Don't make too much of any of this; I don't think I've ever heard a note of his music, but I can say that he was much admired by some knowledgeable, sophisticated classical lovers.

19. drh

drh Talking Machine

And better yet, some of us play 78s! :whistle:

Robin L likes this.
  20. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

If one searches for "Allan Pettersson Youtube," one comes up with a number of links that should give one an idea of what he's like, without actually risking any money.

21. John S

John S Forum Resident

There's even been talk of these 'cylinder' things....

[​IMG]

drh likes this.
  22. John S

John S Forum Resident

OK, now I've got Bernstein and this one (Salonen/LA) on the way. Two things about this one: it's an SACD recorded in Disney, and it's got the original Night on a Bare Mountain, which is new to me.

23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

A few even play musical instruments!

John S likes this.
  24. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

You don't have to be frequent buyer of CD's to participate in CMC. You know better than that. This should not be a forum to help empty out your bank account ...

25. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I will play my vinyl a bit more in my retirement years ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.