Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #48)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

I'd need to do a count, but of my favourite of his symphonies 3,4,5,6 & 9 I would have 7-8 of each. I have 2 complete cycles - Michael Tilson Thomas with the SFO and Gregeiv with the LSO. I've listened to a couple from the Gregiev and they are just so uninteresting. I only bought it because of the good price and had just gotten an SACD player so was a little excited...

I'm particularly interested in adding some Boulez recordings to my Mahler collection as I currently have none! This morning I reached for Bernstein's performance of the 2nd with the LSO. Yesterday I listened to a new disc that arrived, Barshai's recording of the 5th and I can hear what all the hype is about.

Coming up I have 2 new recordings of the 3rd, Zander with the Philharmonia and Wit with the Polish symphony. Of the other Wit Mahler recordings I have, they have been rather uninspiring. But I thought his 5th was interesting enough to warrant purchasing some of his other Mahler recordings, a decision made somewhat made easier by the cheap cost of a Naxos disc. Actually, looking through my pile of unopened/unlistened to CDs I have a few Mahler discs. Mahler 2 by Markus Stenz with the Melbourne Symphony, 6 by Wit and the Polish National Radio Symphony, 5 by Barbiorolli and the New Philharmonia Orchestra, and 3 by Jonathan Nott and the Bamberger Symphoniker.

I don't really have preferred performances in the typical sense, but I find small sections or passages in each that really speak to me.

My Mahler affair started about 3 years ago and kind of never let up.

I think I could be the complete opposite. I could listen to Mahler all day (and sometimes do)

I bought it because a lot of those works I didn't have. It's the first box I've gotten, that so far, I have been listening to from 1st to last. The performances so far have been very good and the actual box is the best I've come across presentation wise.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I only listen to Mahler once in a while. My primary interest is baroque and early music and my interest in late 19th and early 20th century music is marginal. Somehow, I prefer Sibelius over Mahler ...

3. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Indeed . Mahleria is treated with extensive baroque music sessions.

http://inkpot.com/concert/mahleria.html

4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Fleisher's collaborations with Szell are marvelous.

SBurke likes this.
  5. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I bought the DG box set of Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau performing Schubert lieder a while ago. After listening to it all the way through over several months, I put it on the shelf. I never think to listen to lieder. Yesterday, I did, and am now on my third disc. Gorgeous stuff.

6. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Same here, Stuart. The Van Cliburn story is fantastic -- an inspiring piece of Cold-War history and slice of Americana. But still -- Janis is better in the same repertoire for which Cliburn is (justly) famous, and, IMO, Kapell is best of all.

I know Fleisher primarily through his performances of the Beethoven and Brahms concertos, which are first-rate.

7. George P

George P Way Down Now Thread Starter

Janis is on a very short list of pianists that are so good I try to get everything they recorded.

Others on the list - Rudolf Serkin, Richter, Cortot, Rosenthal, Moravec, Gekic, Moiseiwitsch, Natan Brand and Cherkassky.

SBurke likes this.
  8. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Janis and Moravec are also on my list.

9. Scott Wheeler

I think where Van Cliburn excelled was in his interpretations. **IF** you like interpretations that are as straight forward form the page of the score as possible. His tempos and phrasing were about as true to the scores as could be. He clearly did his homework and honored the composers' intentions. He wasn't about putting a personal stamp on everything or trying to reinvent anything. I think his weakness was that he lacked a certain level of nuance and finesse. But the macro structures of his interpretations were impeccable if not particularly original.

SBurke likes this.
  10. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

517fLdCsoXL__SY300_.jpg 51QrTlsT5BL__AA190_.jpg

This mornings first listen from the just arrived box courtesy of Blowitoutahere.com. SQ is a tad bright but great room sonics. Love the harpsichord. That cat can run.

PH416156 likes this.
  11. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

That sounds like a good assessment (though I haven't tried to compare his performances to the scores myself). In a way, his lack of "a certain level of nuance and finesse" was his style. I do appreciate it at times. His core recordings on RCA, and, especially, the releases on Testament from the Tchaikovsky Competition, and a subsequent London recital, I would not want to be without.

12. coopmv

13. coopmv

I think I have recordings by every pianist listed above except Rosenthal and Cherkassky. If you care to share some recommended recordings for these two pianists, your recommendation will be much appreciated ... :righton:

14. coopmv

Do you happen to have at least one TEAC open-reel deck?

15. coopmv

I think I may shoot for the smaller Fleisher box and will bypass the van Cliburn big box altogether since I already have about a dozen of his singles. I simply do not have the room to grab every big box that is available ...

16. coopmv

2013 has turned out to be the year of big losses for classical music lovers - We lost Gustav Leonhardt and Marie-Claire Alain early in the year. Then we lost Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, van Cliburn and Colin Davis - not necessarily in the correct chronological order. Sir Neville will be closing in on 90. Have I left out any big name classical music artists who have departed?

17. coopmv

Just completed listening to the following CD's for a first listen earlier in the day ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now listening to SACD1 from the following set ...

[​IMG]

18. Scott Wheeler

William Bennett. http://www.wqxr.org/#!/blogs/wqxr-b...ennett-san-francisco-symphony-oboist-dies-56/
    Janos Starker http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/30/a...r-cellist-dies-at-88.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

19. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yep..4070G that an old girlfriend's father gifted to me. It had hardly been played, weights a ton & works fine. The cat is fascinated by it so have to be careful.

20. coopmv

I figured a TeacFan has to have at least one TEAC open-reel deck! :edthumbs::D

21. George P

Rosenthal's complete recordings for under $30: http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-...id=1375653747&sr=8-1&keywords=Moriz+Rosenthal

Cherkassky - the discs on the Orfeo label and the two volumes from GPOTTC series are great!

22. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

It shouldn't be a puzzle that you would prefer Sibelius to Mahler given your tastes. Sibelius, apart from his salon works, the Symphony 1 and a few early pieces created a style based on modal folk like melodies (without direct quotation) and a simplified less chromatic harmonic language. I would assume Vaughan Williams would be copacetic as well

23. drh

drh Talking Machine

I've more sampled Cliburn's work than explored it, but I found his solo Brahms to be very nice. If you're susceptible to his way of playing, I'd say that's worth checking out.

24. George P

I've even found his Brahms to be lacking.

25. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.