Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #50)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Way Down Now Thread Starter

Continued from here.

Welcome! :wave:

This thread (and the 49 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, classical works, classical composers or classical performers.

Beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly, respectful and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that continue to make this thread an enjoyable, civilized and informative experience! You guys are still the best!

:wave:

2. George P

George P Way Down Now Thread Starter

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Looks like B&N is trying to exit the music business. This is likely a liquidation sale.

4. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

Maybe. But they did the same thing last year. Don't get me wrong, the trend lines are clear. But I don't think it's imminent.

FWIW, the comparable in-store sale ends tomorrow and they told me by email that these sales tend to last a month. So, I think you snooze, you lose might be applicable here.

sgb likes this.
  5. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

002.JPG
    Bach on Sundays .great sounding organs on this CD, recorded in the Netherlands (Breda & Kampen), 1970 & 1982.

6. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Listened to most of the Martinon/Debussy set and was very impressed. Many of the works were familiar, but not all. One very evident thing - on several occasions my ears would respond badly to the sound of the orchestra. Each time it turned out to be someone else's orchestration of a Debussy work (usually piano music). Shows what a genius Debussy, himself, was with the orchestra.

RiRiIII, M.Deutrom and dale 88 like this.
  7. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

An innovative genius to boot. What must it have been like to be at the premiere of Prelude a l'Apres Midi?

8. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Classical Corner reaches the Big 50 !

Listening to Shostakovich's Lady Macbeth for the first time in several years. I can see why Stalin would be upset. Not so much the sex and violence but the absolutely savage parody of the police force must have made Stain's blood boil.

Anyway has Galina ever looked so sexy as in the cover of the LP? If so please post!

ladyM.jpg

Stone Turntable likes this.
  9. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Listened to this 1942 Columbia recording of the Schumann: Piano Quintet In E Flat Major, Op 44 by Rudolf Serkin & the Busch Quartet.

[​IMG]

I was not too impressed. There were not very many moments that got my attention. To my ears, Serkin and the Busch Quartet were not always as together as I would have liked.

10. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Just added this version of the Schumann Quintet: Leif Ove Andsnes and the Artemis Quartet on Virgin Classics.

LeifArtemisSchumann.jpg

Of the five or six versions I have recently listened to, this would be in my top three.

11. wakashizuma

wakashizuma Forum Resident

This is the one of finest versions of Brahms symphony 4 available. Karajan's 60s cycle of Brahms remain one of his greatest achievements

Attached Files:

12. M.Deutrom

M.Deutrom Forum Resident

brahms.JPG
    Currently enjoying this set on single layer SACDs. Excellent performances and beautiful sound.

13. sgb

sgb Senior Member

As I noted in thread 49, I would take advantage of the sale early in the morning of October 1 so that I could combine their sale with the special 5% cash back that began this morning at 12:01 AM.

Well, as it turns out, the B&N sale ended at midnight.

I ended up ordering about 60% of what I had intended from a number of sellers. In the process, I found a dealer who was selling some out-of-print items at reasonable prices, so I enjoyed a 5% discount on them, courtesy of the credit card company.

[​IMG]

Also preordered two that are to be release next week that looked interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EO7XP02/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EJYGEKS/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  14. drh

drh Talking Machine

I guess this is an example of self-improvement saving money: I was so busy trying to finish my second assignment in the Jonathan Biss Beethoven course, I never managed to go through the B&N listings. :angel:

I'd been planning to try to get to them today.

No loss; those grapes were all sour anyhow. :whistle:

And I even had an $85 store credit to use up... :sigh:

And my wife's blessing to spend it on CDs.

Now it will undoubtedly go for kid's stuff instead.

:cry:

15. drh

drh Talking Machine

But then, it's not as if I'm not already drowning in records and CDs that I probably will never have time to play. :cool:

16. sgb

sgb Senior Member

It is my goal to play every CD, LP and SACD I own at least once every five years. I figure that if I play four albums per day I can just about make it. I have a spreadsheet set up to keep track of this.

17. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

I picked up the Caruso cd recommended in thread 49 and it arrived today. Very nice!!! It appears, though, to be a recording where they added an orchestra somewhere in the 20's or 30's. (It says 'WITH ORCHESTRA on the back). It's also a Soundstream recording.

What are the best recordings of Caruso WITHOUT the orchestral overdubs? I'm talking about the piano/vocal recordings. I like these recordings but I would like to hear them as originally recorded so that I can hear Caruso as he was heard by folks who bought his records in the early 20th Century.

18. drh

drh Talking Machine

I
    Look for an issue of his earliest recordings, from around 1902 or 1903, which were piano accompanied. By 1907 or so (I'm shooting from memory here; I could be off a year or two) he was routinely backed by a rudimentary orchestra, basically maybe 10-12 players wielding things like Stroh violins and with low string parts rearranged for low brass. A *few* his recordings were overdubbed with orchestras in the '30s; those are pretty obvious, as the orchestra was electrically recorded while the voice was acoustically recorded. I'd be very surprised if that's what you're getting on your issue.

19. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

20. sgb

sgb Senior Member

You got any pull to get us copies of this at reviewer prices (the Rach 3 is one of my favorites)?

21. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I can probably get mine for free, signed but I like buying CDs to support artists.

22. sgb

sgb Senior Member

By all means, get the free signed one then frame it. Buy a playing copy to support the artists. But understand the review copy is considered an advertising expense, and the artists would collect no royalties from those that are given as review copies anyway.

Addendum:

I am reminded of the time that I bought a classical CD in a major brick and mortar store about 15 years ago. When I got it home and unwrapped it, the disc had "Complimentary Review Copy, Not For Sale" printed on it. I never found out how that happened, but from all appearances, it looked like a regular CD for consumers before it was opened.

23. Bullmoose

Bullmoose Well-Known Member

Anyone have a recommendation for the best performance of Ravel's Piano Trio in A Minor?

24. sgb

sgb Senior Member

This is the only one I have, and I am pleased with it...

[​IMG]

john greenwood likes this.
  25. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Okay. As a 'newbie' to his music I may have just confused the two. I believe, after reading what you posted, that I DO have the original recordings...just using that Stockholm Soundstream process. The EARLIEST recording on this cd is from 1907 so not only am I hearing some piano accompaniment but also some rudimentary orchestra.

Still....wonderful stuff to hear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.