Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #50)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I have both the Florestan Trio and the Capucons/Braley versions and like them both very much.

Different cover:
    Florestan Trio & Tomes, Susan - Debussy; Fauré; Ravel_ Piano Trios.jpg
    Capucon, Renaud, Capucon, Gautier & Braley, Frank - Ravel_ Trio - Sonatas.jpg

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Robin L and sgb like this.
  3. drh

drh Talking Machine

In case some out there are as late finding out as I am, today's Washington Post reports that Osmo Vanska has made good on his threat to quit the Minnesota Orchestra because of its ongoing labor turmoil, and the New York City Opera has declared bankruptcy. Sad.

sgb and morinix like this.
  4. Moonfish likes this.
  5. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Already bought two. One for signing one for playing. I'll probably buy a few more for gifts.

6. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Yes, I must admit that I was not too familiar with how the Minnesota orchestra had risen to a high performer ensemble over the last decade. It is sad that Vanska leaves such a work in progress. Besides, now I am renewing my interest in Sibelius. I realized that he has plenty of presence in the BIS Sibelius Box (but with a different orchestra - Lahti SO). I wish he could have continued his efforts championing Scandinavian composers here in the US ..........

[​IMG]

7. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Thanks for the Nellie Melba piece! I am slowly moving into listening to older voice recordings. I am used to piano by now, but still have a way to go with the early voices. I took a turn with Caruso earlier today. My kids were stunned by the hiss and crackle!! :) But lovely.....
    What do you think about all these new digital remasterings by the way? I see plenty of them on Youtube. They seem so softened compared to previous versions.....
    Any suggestions on great old voice recordings on cd?

Regardless, here is a nice clip of Caruso...

morinix likes this.
  8. George P

9. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

That is fantastic!!!!!!! The old sets are definitely hard to get!!!! On order!!!!! Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  10. George P

The best sounding Caruso I know of is on the Naxos label, transferred by Ward Marston, expert at historical transfers.

Buy the full set here- http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Reco...8&qid=1380818987&sr=8-1&keywords=Naxos+Caruso

Review of volumes 1-3 - http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2001/Mar01/caruso.htm

11. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

I am guilty of owning and listening to those.... :agree: Amazing recordings! I am looking for recordings beyond Caruso. I often listen to
    The Record of Singing, 1899-1952: The Very Best of Vols. 1-4, which are very good. [review at music web]. I wish I can find the original volumes as this is a compilation of the initial four volumes. Regardless, I want to expand my horizons as I am not too familiar with the early realm of recordings [beyond these two sets].

[​IMG]

There are individual volumes of the above, but they are hard to find. E.g. Volume 3 and Volume 4
    [​IMG][​IMG]

morinix and Robin L like this.
  12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I had volumes 1 & 2. The original edition was of LPs, not certain that the original issues of "The Record of Singing" ever made it to CD in complete form. A huge, beautiful and kinda crazy collection.

morinix and Moonfish like this.
  13. George P

In the realm of vocal historical recordings or all historical recordings? If the latter, I could help in the area of piano.

14. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Hmm, that would make sense. So if I want to pursue vol 1 and 2 I have to get a turntable... and search ebay thoroughly. Lovely that you owned those. Did you get rid of them for some reason? They are likely to be quite valuable at this point in time.
    Nimbus record has some interesting issues (as I keep searching) of older recordings. Two series (which I think overlap partially)...
    Golden Age of Singing (vol 1-4 with 2 cds each) and the Prima Voce: Treasury of Opera series (vol 1-2 with 6 and 5cds respectively). They look very enticing. I think I will order the first volume of Golden Age of Singing and report back. :D
    Nimbus records seem to have produced a large number of issues in their Prima Voce series. [details]. Lots of things to explore......
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The Nimbus re-recordings of acoustic [and some electric] 78s are frankly, weird. They are transcribed by playing back on an acoustic horn and recorded in ambisonics.

[​IMG]

Bozhe moi,
    as the Russki's would say.

16. drh

drh Talking Machine

If you do, I would suggest buying one with a nominal 78 speed and wide pitch variability around it and then searching out original 78s. (Most acoustic records are "78" in name only.) Yes, some 78s are fabulous rarities that cost a fortune, but many of the ones you want to hear are quite common and can be had for a buck or two apiece. To take Caruso as an example, his very early recordings and those few that he made for companies other than Victor/HMV (Pathe, Zonophone) go for big bucks, but the common, garden variety Victor single-sided 78s sold in the jillions when new, were carefully preserved as treasures down through the years, and so are readily available at modest prices today. And no transfer can give you the same immediacy and vibrancy of sound as you can get from a clean original.

Moonfish likes this.
  17. drh

drh Talking Machine

I think you can make a case for them in acoustic material--not necessarily an airtight case, but a case. I agree that all possible justification flies out the window with electrics.

18. I inherited a a small collection of of these from my father. The process does seem crazy. All I can say is, I just start spinnin' em and they sound very musical once I settle in and just listen. Currently listening to Beecham, Die Zauberflote, Berlin 1937. All I can say is the mid-range breathes. Pretty good for redbook digital :winkgrin:
    .[​IMG]

M.Deutrom and Moonfish like this.
  19. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

I am all ears. I used to abhor historical recordings some years ago, but now my brain filters out all the external sounds and focuses on the art itself. It is quite amazing what a good filter one's brain is. I would love to know which historical piano recordings that you treasure?

20. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Drh,
    Hmm, your post both scares and entices me. I did not really think much about 78s, but know when you put it so eloquently I can easily see how it can become a passion. Your advice is definitely welcome. I can myself looking for elusive 78s. My grandma used to have a beautiful Victrola encased in elaborate dark wood. She (and my family) used to talk about it all the time. For some reason she never played it around me. Peculiar. It used to be in NY, but traveled to Europe when my grandma returned to the old country. I wish I had it in my house. So, do you have any specific suggestions on a turntable or is it better to hunt for an old one?

21. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Lovely! You just inspired me to put on something similar... listening....

morinix likes this.
  22. "Huge, beautiful, kinda' crazy" - Now I want these!

Robin L likes this.
  23. George P

I would love to, I will post a list later. Until then, can you tell me which classical composers/performers you enjoy? It might help me narrow my suggestions.

24. sgb

sgb Senior Member

This one arrived today from Amoeba in SF, and it's as good as the Amazon reviewers say it is.

[​IMG]

25. George P

Dat's a BIG CD!

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.