Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #50)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Wow. I missed this one. I may have to spring for it for that price.

2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

That is a great recording of the Dohnanyi.

3. George P

George P Way Down Now Thread Starter

That was my thinking!

4. drh

drh Talking Machine

Naah--just my ears! :whistle:

5. drh

drh Talking Machine

Oops--beaten to the punchline again.... :sigh:

6. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Umm, there was no audio associated with my post. HvK hysteria strikes again. :shh:

7. drh

drh Talking Machine

And now for today's Stock report. I have him in this work on Victor set M-25 with scroll labels. The set proved to have legs, being one of the few that Victor subsequently chose for reissue on black labels; in that form it appeared, in a singularly cardboardy album, as set G-4.

Like all his recordings of my acquaintance, it's a fine, musicianly account. If that sounds like faint praise, it's not meant to be. Reiner may have "put Chicago on the map," so to speak, but he was building on the legacy of a dedicated conductor who should be better remembered (albeit after that legacy had passed through several other hands!).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  8. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Next needledrop.... a bit of surface noise on this one, but not too bad:

[​IMG]

9. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Arthur Rubinstein: the Complete Album Collection [CD]

Bought this back when it first came out & forgot the "good" price I paid, but this is a real keeper. Great notes & an interesting bonus DVD from an old A&E program, I think. RCA, I guess, really promoted the heck out of him, back when. Lived quite a life. Still plowing my way through the set. Compositions I have never heard.

10. George P

How was your outer box when it arrived? Mine had some dings on a few corners and a few deep scratches. Inside, a few of the covers to the CDs had some strange black markings that looked like soot stains. (I apologize for not mentioning this earlier, guys. I have had so many CDs arrive in poor shape that I have decided to try and be more accepting, since fighting each and every case has proven to be very stressful.)

11. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Mine arrived in fine shape w/no defects anywhere. Bought from Amazon back in February.

12. George P

Thanks. I have contacted ImportCDs about the condition of my box.

13. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

George, this is a mega set!

14. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Daniel Chorzempa is an American-born Austrian organist. I read somewhere that he renounced his American citizenship a few years ago and now lives in Austria. I have always considered him the most outstanding American organist of his generation, who is right up there with the best from Europe. Incidentally, I do not have much respect for most American organists.

15. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

the Dohnanyi was recorded 1/12/59 in Kingsway Hall, producer Michael Williamson, engineer Kenneth Wilkinson. the Rachmaninov
    was recorded 5/1/59, Kingsway Hall, producer Erik Smith, engineer Gil Went. the LP was issued 5/60. also issued as London CS 6153.
    i have the Rachmaninov on a London 'Weekend Classics' CD. a fine recording.

16. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

Thanks to George P and 'Rose River Bear' at the top of this page, I was able to get the complete Arthur
    Rubenstein for $90.11 plus shipping from ImportCD.com, which is my go-to site for MoFi titles as well
    as the best place for the newly remastered Zappa titles... I just placed my order a few minutes ago for the Rubinstein...

17. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

just listened to Katchen's earlier mono recording of the Dohnanyi, also with the LPO/Boult. it's pretty spectacular. i have it on
    a 1995 Dutton CD. recorded 5/10 & 12/54 in Kingsway Hall, producer John Culshaw, engineer Kenneth Wilkinson.

18. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks a lot for this information, pretty impressive sound for a pre-60s stereo recording :thumbsup:

19. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Wilkinson was one of the best recording engineers of all time. It should never be a surprise that any of his recordings are top notch. What he did back in the 60s pretty much blows away almost everything that followed in terms of sound quality.

Robin L and 5-String like this.
  20. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

George - from the Amazon reviews, it sounds like a number of boxes were missing discs. What about your set?

21. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Apart from the overall "box set burn-out" that caused my shyness regarding this thread, the poor packaging issues you described also affected my buyer's fatigue. Moreover, these two issues, in a way, "perfectly" complement each other: the big box sets usually have CD's in paper/cardboard sleeves, so they are mostly time eaters from the purely artistic standpoint, while the CD's in regular jewel cases that, on one hand, are usually more "focused" and "well realized" buys, kill all the joy because of the constant shipping abuse. The rate of crushed jewel cases has been truly overwhelming for the last 2-3 years. Sometimes I bother with asking the sellers for a partial refund (when the price is on the steep side), but it's physically impossible to contact them every time (and sometimes I'm able to re-assemble relatively "good" jewel cases from the partially broken ones). Not to mention, that Amazon.fr recently ignored my comment/partial refund request regarding a brand new "old school" 20CD box set that arrived with 3 damaged standard jewel cases.

22. George P

That was the first thing I checked. All CDs are there. Given the markings on the outer box and some of the inner sleeves, I suspect mine is a return that originally was missing the CDs but was later fixed up by adding the missing discs. I have importcds to get more info on this, but that's what it looks like. The ridiculously low price also seems to suggest that this is a repackaged set. Maybe RCA sent them a bunch of the missing CDs and importcds fixed them?

23. George P

Yeah, buying online is getting to be more and more annoying or me as well. You'd think that sellers of new merchandise would ensure it looks new when it leaves their site and that they package it in a way that protects it until it gets to you. Amazon (not marketplace) does both superbly well. Importcds gets the latter right and usually the former as well - this time was an exception.

As for the Rubinstein set, it is really impressive! I only wish they had found a way to include the liner notes from their previous Rubinstein Collection. They were really well written and even at times surprisingly impartial and honest about Rubinstein's recordings.

24. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I can get a bit frustrated with ImportCDs (and I suspect they can get a bit frustrated with me) but they have always come through in the end.

I may get this set with the knowledge that I no longer feel compelled to listen to every disc in megaboxes. I still have not listened to all of the HvK :hide: EMI sets or the Perahia set. What's more I could not tell you which discs remain unheard.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  25. George P

That's good to know. I just don't relish the thought of sending a 16 pound box back to them, especially when the replacement might actually be missing the discs you mentioned earlier. :sigh:

Maybe it's worth it to live with the dings on the box and the few CD sleeves that have some black marks on them, knowing that I have all the music?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.