Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #50)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

A disc was not missing, just that the book-sleeve, that holds 3 discs, contained 2 of the same disc, (duplicates) and as I remember, was one of the first (early recordings) selections in the box. You must look closely at the discs to see if you have two of the same discs. Amazon, at the time, was aware & exchanged whole set . This was back in February.

2. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

003.JPG
    my Dutton CD reissue of some mono Katchen recordings from Decca. the Concerto is with the New Symphony Orchestra of London,
    under Fistoulari, recorded in Kingsway Hall 4/11-12/51, producer John Culshaw. the Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini & the Dohnanyi
    Variations are with the LPO
    & Boult and were recorded in Kingsway 5/10 & 12/54, producer James Walker. engineer for all recordings was Kenneth Wilkinson, who did a fine job. Dutton used the CEDAR Production System on this one and it seems to have been used with
    restraint.

5-String likes this.
  3. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

4. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

004.JPG
    more excellent Rachmaninov from Katchen, with Solti conducting the LSO in the Concerto & Boult conducting the LPO in the Rhapsody. Concerto recorded 6/18-20/58, producer John Culshaw, engineer Kenneth Wilkinson. Rhapsody recorded 5/1/59,
    producer Erik Smith, engineer Gil Went. both recorded in Kingsway Hall.
    Concerto

Mr Bass likes this.
  5. drh

drh Talking Machine

Happy Halloween, everybody! Hope you all can enjoy some "spirited" music today. :wave:

6. sgb

sgb Senior Member

These are on today's playlist:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I listened to Walter's 1960 recording of Das Lied von der Erde from Pristine Classical yesterday and was impressed by the sound quality of the remaster.

[​IMG]

This was done by Andrew Rose, as most of the Pristine Classical releases, and I can safely say that it rivals the sound of my Columbia LP. This is my favorite out of the three studio recordings that Walter did and in my opinion it is superior to his Decca recording with Ferrier and Patzak.

Robin L and Mr Bass like this.
  8. George P

George P Way Down Now Thread Starter

[​IMG]

First spin of this work ever! (from the big Rubinstein box)

goldwax likes this.
  9. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

61JyBqaNE3L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

10. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Not exactly Halloween but these songs from Mussorgsky include some spooky and chilling songs next to the ones for children. Christoff sings them in one of the greatest vocal performances of the LP era. The original 50s Angel pressings are rough around the edges but this early 80s analog remastering on German EMI is superb.

christoff.jpg

Of course there's always the Monster Mash too.

11. sgb

sgb Senior Member

A real classic! And also Dinner with Drac

John S likes this.
  12. John Simons

John Simons New Member

This reminds me of my favourite horror tunes. listen to them every Halloween. http://goo.gl/QWjDgN

13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Let's get it started!
    Do like this performance, can't say it displaces the earlier recording for Decca in my affections. It's a cooler, more resigned performance. If it's "Cool" you want, I suggest the Reiner/CSO SACD. A beautiful, understated and underrated performance.

[​IMG]

14. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have the Reiner and I consider it very good. I agree with all three characterizations, "beautiful, understated and underrated" indeed.

The issue that I have with the Decca recording is not as much with Walter's conducting, which is outstanding as usual with this particular work, but rather with Ferrier's singing. Sacrilege, I know. :hide:

But, as great as she was, I just don't think that her voice was in a good shape when she recorded the Song of the Earth.
    That's understandable, of course, given that she had cancer (she died next year IIRC).

15. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

A classic recording by AR.

16. George P

[​IMG]

More Rubinstein (1954) from the big box. Man, they don't make covers like that anymore!

17. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Don't know if it goes with date, but tonight I am going to play the best version of Dukas The Sorcerer's Apprentice that I have ever heard. I think it is magical.

Jean Martinon
    Orchestre National De l'ORTF

I found it on this 'old' 1988 Erato CD.

MartinonSorcerer.jpg
    1 - (11:45) Paul Dukas--The Sorcerer's Apprentice
    2 - (15:55) Maurice Ravel--Bolero - Alain Lombard & Strasbourg Philharmonic Orchestra
    3 - (28:37) Camile Saint-Saens--Carnival of the Animals - Louis Fremaux & Monte-Carlo Philharmonic Orchestra
    4 - (6:05) Edouard Lalo--Norwegian Rhapsody: Andantino-A - Paul Paray, Monte-Carlo Philharmonic Orchestra & Pierre Amoyal
    5 - (4:48) Norwegian Rhapsody: Presto - Paul Paray & Monte-Carlo Philharmonic Orchestra

Mr Bass likes this.
  18. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

[​IMG]

Finally wrapping up the RCA Living Stereo 60 box with this CD.

Of the 12 classical megasets I've gotten over the past year, I've only completed listening to this one and the first Mercury Living Presence one. (This is not including about 15 smaller [that is, fewer than 20 discs] sets.) I've done a bit better with single discs.

The 50-CD label sets are challenging enough, but how will I ever get through the ginormous Furtwangler, Toscanini and Rubinstein boxes?

Mr Bass likes this.
  19. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Ferrier's last recordings are a bit like Billie Holiday's last small combo sessions, treasurable in spite of obvious failings of the instrument. Her rendition of "Ich Bin der Welt Abhanden Gekommen" always moves me, it's impossible for me to hear any other version.

5-String likes this.
  20. goldwax

Hang on, I also finished the Decca box. So I'm slow, but not as slow as I thought I was.

21. Mr Bass

I like the performance and original record. I have not heard this Pristine remaster. However, I have heard the one they did for the Furtwangler Ring and thought it was poor, particularly the fake stereo version which they call ambient. I would just caution folks that my understanding is that Pristine Audio rarely if ever works from tape master or copy. I know that the Ring remaster was sourced from UK 1970s era LP needledrops. I assume many other reissues are also sourced from LPs. What turntable, cartridge and phonostage they are using in the chain is a mystery to me. I suppose it's possible that their digital processing achieves better results than working from the mastertape but it would have to involve extensive manipulation. I never discourage people from enjoying whatever they want to listen to; I am just providing information as I know it on what they are doing.If there are errors here please advise.

22. goldwax

Starting in on this box:

[​IMG]

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  23. Mr Bass

Play them at 78 rpm.

drh, Robin L and goldwax like this.
  24. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the above CD from the big Rubinstein Box.

goldwax likes this.
  25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I suppose you might be right. I have no idea what sources they use but I presume it is not the master tape, since they only release recordings that the copyright has expired in Europe. It is unfortunate that they are not clear about where their material comes from.
    I was hoping that their Furtwangler Ring would be an improvement to the EMI cds and I was actually thinking of getting it next, that or Mravinsky's DG Tchaikovsky. I have second thoughts now that I read that you found it poor. I might try some of their Gieseking though.

That being said, the Walter's Das Lied von der Erde sounds really good. I don't know if it's a needledrop or not but it sounds very analogue like. This is not an audiophile recording by any means and as it 's being close-miked by the Columbia engineers it sounds rather bright by modern standards. The remastering by Pristine has more bass but the highs are a bit warmer in my LP. Other than that they sound pretty similar with nice spacy soundstage and voices that are very lifelike on both the LP and the Pristine.

It's been a while since I heard the Sony cd of this (I have the Bruno Walter edition) but IIRC it did not sound good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.