Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #51)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Way Down Now Thread Starter

Continued from here.

Welcome!

This thread (and the 50 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, classical works, classical composers or classical performers.

Beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly, respectful and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that continue to make this thread an enjoyable, civilized and informative experience! You guys are still the best!

2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Morning!

[​IMG]

Just played the first movement of Dvorak's 6th Symphony, Kertez, LSO, twice in a row.

Animal77 likes this.
  3. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

sgb likes this.
  4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Has anyone here bought any vinyl from classicvinyl.com? Is this site trustworthy?

5. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

A steal at this price. But keep in mind that Levine did not record the second or eighth in this cycle. Too expensive for RCA's taste, I suppose. There are some live Levine 2nds and 8ths floating around but a real opportunity was missed here, IMO.

6. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

WOW these threads go by soooo fast!
    #51 already.....holy smokes!!!

7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD, a recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

8. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I agree although of course they are not uniformly stellar (no one's is). I like the Ninth the best. Also RCA gave Levine very mediocre sonics, preventing them from having much wow factor. Levine's non-opera recordings were never promoted and he did have his share of clunkers. When he does go off the rails I feel it's because he becomes rhythmically flatfooted. However, I can't think of any American conductor as consistently good over the last 35 years. Part of the problem is that the influential British mags look down their collective noses at American conductors.

9. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Bernstein and Previn are pretty much the only two American conductors whose recordings can be found in my classical music collection. I actually have a few by Slatkin as well.

10. Mr Bass

It's a bit surprising that Previn would be the other US conductor to LB in your collection. I have a fair number of US conductors although outside of LB I don't have a lot of different recordings with each. I also tend to think as American (adoptees) those conductors like Leinsdorf, Mitropoulos, Ormandy and Stokowski who had a very large proportion of their conducting career in the States.

Leonard Bernstein
    Morton Gould
    William Slatkin
    Michael Tilson Thomas
    Lorin Maazel
    Andre Previn
    James Levine
    Lawrence Foster
    Kent Nagano
    Donald Johanos
    David Zinman
    Julius Rudel

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
    Robin L likes this.
  11. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I compared three current violinists versions of Dvorak's Violin Concerto.

Isabelle Faust, Prague Philharmonia, Jiri Belohlavek
    Harmonia Mundi, 2004.
    [​IMG]
    Christian Tetzlaff, Czech Philharmonic, Libor Pesek
    Virgin, 1994.
    [​IMG]

Sarah Chang, London Symphony Orchestra, Colin Davis
    EMI, 2003.
    [​IMG]

Isabelle Faust wins my vote. Her performance quickens my blood. It has the best sound too. Tetzlaff gives a refined performance, but the recording level is low and his violin is almost lost sometimes. Chang is good but I didn't connect with it.

The James Ehnes, BBC Philharmonic, Gianandrea Noseda performance on Chandos, 2005 is excellent, but Chandos botched the sound.

bluemooze and Mr Bass like this.
  12. John S

John S Forum Resident

William Slatkin? I know of Felix and Leonard....

13. drh

drh Talking Machine

Leaving aside Slatkin the mystery man, let us not forget Howard Barlow. He recorded, inter alia, a very nice Iphigenia in Aulis overture....

14. John S

John S Forum Resident

Beethoven
    Piano Trio in B-flat, Op. 97 “Archduke”
    Piano Trio in D, Op. 70, No. 1 “Ghost”

Vera Beths, violin: A. Stradivarius, Cremona, 1727
    Anner Bylsma, violincello: J.B. Pressenda, Torino, 1835
    Jos van Immerseel, fortepiano: J.N. Trondlin, Leipzig, early 19th century, restored 1996.
    (recorded at Lutherse Kerk, Haarlem, The Netherlands, 1999)

[​IMG]

This HIPP recording is interesting. From the opening bars of the “Archduke” trio it is obvious this is isn’t a modern piano. This pianoforte is not the thin, almost tinkly instrument Malcom Bilson plays in his Mozart PC series with Gardiner. This piano has a much richer sound -- more like Grandma’s really old upright, only this instrument is in tune and under the hands of a fine pianist. To these modern ears, this old pianoforte sticks out as the odd duck next to Beth’s crystal toned Strad, and Bylsma’s earthy, organic cello. (Bylsma doesn’t mind slapping strings against the fingerboard during the amazing pizzicato section deep into the development of the Archduke’s first movement.)

I think it was Beethoven’s most famous student Carl Czerny who dubbed Op. 70/1 “Ghost” because the second movement reminded him of Hamlet’s father’s ghost. That was not quite correct as the music was taken from Beethoven’s earlier notes on a possible musical production of Macbeth. So I think the word “geister” would better be translated to “Spirit” This would be more in keeping not only with the witches appearance in Macbeth, but also with the character of the second movement.

To me, Op 70/1 comes off better than Op. 97 on this production, mostly because the piano’s role is more integrated with the other two voices. Over all, the music is served well by the spirited playing throughout this album.

drh likes this.
  15. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying a first spin of Rubinstein's 1956 LvB PC3 with Krips. (from the big box)

16. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Captain of the Starship Enterprise (which had an awesome surround system).

John S likes this.
  17. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

You are whetting my appetite. Mine is scheduled to arrive Thursday. (It appears that ImportCDs has switched to UPS.)

18. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Mr Bass likes this.
  19. sgb

sgb Senior Member

:cry:

20. Mr Bass

I'm never good with names. :oops:

21. George P

Yes, they have.

22. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Is my knowledge of musically related abbreviations lacking?

23. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have this on LP. Nice!

24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I also asked about what HIPP means in the previous thread. I had not seen it before. It means, If I am not mistaken, Historically Informed Performance or something to that sense.

25. George P

I think the last P might be Practice?

5-String likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.