Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #52)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

In a word No. The PCM conversion is Not always done at 352.8/32. Often it is done at 96/24 because there are more editing tools at that rate. Will it change in the future? I suppose so. However in a discussion I had in the Audio Hardware Forum last year I posed the question, would PCM sampling at higher rates than 192k lead to something that didn't sound recognizably digital? The consensus was No and that there were serious technical problems in going a lot higher. I myself have heard 192k/24 in the studio before any editing. It sounded smoother than CD but it did not sound qualitatively different than CD. DSD whatever its faults, and they are significant, still does not sound like CD so I have to place my bet with it. Note that the original DSD format was 2.8MHz/4 bit but was changed to one bit for copy protection. I believe the few DSD tools that exist do use 4 bit but only for editing. Personally I think we have to see 4 x DSD / 4 bit to get to something superior to analog in realism but maybe 2 x DSD/4 bit will suffice. Time will tell.

2. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

It seems to me you have a lot of what I would characterize as good-sounding SACD's here. Many are indeed sourced from 24/96 or higher PCM masters, and I tend to have the PCM downloads rather than the SACD's, so I can't comment on how the SACD's sound, but most of the PCM downloads I would characterize as having good sound, some great (Channel Classics Rite of Spring and Rachmaninoff Symphony #2 for starters). If you're comparing them to LP's, don't bother me with that I don't listen to LP's. 15ips open-reel tape is another matter; some of the Reference Recordings were recorded simultaneously on 24/176.4 PCM and 30 ips open reel and available commercially in both formats (i.e.,15ips open reel and hires downloads) although I have heard only the PCM's.

3. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Other experienced well-qualified listeners, some on this forum (e.g., Barry Diament), would disagree with that assessment.

4. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I would think that further discussion of these audio formats and their sound might be better taken to the Audio Hardware forum and let this one return to music?

George P likes this.
  5. Mr Bass

For heavens sake, I am telling you what I personally heard. I don't give a FF what they think.

Kate_C. likes this.
  6. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

May I remind folks this thread is for discussion of Classical Music?

bluemooze likes this.
  7. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

You apparently left out the "I thought" >> It sounded smoother than CD but it did not sound qualitatively different than CD. DSD whatever its faults, and they are significant, still does not sound like CD so I have to place my bet with it. <<

;)

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...e-sound-quality-of-sacd-dsd-vs-cd-pcm.258924/

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/dsd-vs-pcm.337686/

8. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD, which arrived yesterday for a first listen. I only discovered this Austrian baroque composer about a year ago and found most of his works quite delightful ...

[​IMG]

9. coopmv

Earlier today, the following box was ordered from an Amazon MarketPlace seller ...

[​IMG]

PH416156 likes this.
  10. coopmv

Now playing CD13 - Variations for piano & flute from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

11. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing from the Anthology of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra,Vol.6 – 1990-2000 Live: The Radio Recordings, CD7:

Bela Bartok – Piano Concerto No.3
    Martha Argerich, piano — Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra — Claus Peter Flor (RCO Live)

Luigi Dallapiccola – Liriche Greche for soprano and ensemble
    Lucy Shelton, soprano — Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra — Reinbert de Leeuw (RCO Live)

Olivier Messiaen – Trois petites Liturgies de la Presence Divine
    — Marc-Andre Hamelin, piano, Jean Laurendeau, ondes martenot
    — Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra & Women of the Netherlands Radio Choir — Charles Dutoit (RCO Live)

[​IMG]

Mr Bass likes this.
  12. Mr Bass

Now Listening To

Pimpone. George Telemann. Nimsgern, Spreckelsen, Hirsch. Teldec Germany.

A very amusing and enjoyable short operetta , singspiel or whatever. An old rich merchant acquires a young acquisitive wife. Hirsch interpolated several short concertos as interludes in accord with then customary practice. Excellent singing by two experienced operetta and opera singers.

pimpone.jpg

13. John S

John S Forum Resident

Luigi Dallapiccola.....a new one on me....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luigi_Dallapiccola

14. drh

drh Talking Machine

Just got the results of my bids in the latest Larry Holdridge mail auction.

I won five Claudia Muzio records (four acoustics on Pathe, one an electric lateral), 3 operatic cylinders (Agostinelli, Dubois, Verlet), a few lateral 78s by singers that I had only on vertical cut, one Debussy record by George Copeland that will work toward filing in a broken set I already have in part, a scattering of things that just appealed to me for one reason or another (perhaps the top of that list is Rosa Raisa singing the dramatic "La Altra Notte" from Mefistofele) and very late 78s by then-young singers better known for their LPs (Dietrich Fischer-Diskau and Elisabeth Schwarzkopf). Among other things. Quite a satisfying haul, and a lot more than I had expected! :pineapple::bdance::goodie:

Of course, now I have to pay for them.... :sigh: :help: :yikes:

Oh, well, long after the little sting of spending the money is gone, the perplexity of where to put the things will remain. :crazy:

PH416156 and Urban Spaceman like this.
  15. John S

John S Forum Resident

David, you are Pathé. :D

drh and Robin L like this.
  16. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...awards-20140107,0,2125268.story#axzz2pnxo4RhW

It is the pairing that classical-music fans have been eagerly awaiting for years.

Lang Lang, the internationally renowned classical pianist, will team up with the heavy-metal band Metallica at the 56th annual Grammy Awards ceremony scheduled to take place Jan. 26 at Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles. The ceremony will be broadcast on CBS.

Grammy organizers said Lang Lang will appear with Metallica in a special performance during the ceremony. They said Lang Lang continues to serve in his role as the Grammy's cultural ambassador to China. No further details of the pianist's performance with Metallica were released.

bluemooze likes this.
  17. George P

18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I saw a box of William Kapell RCA recordings today in a local shop for <$50/9 CDs. I can't say I've heard any of his music but I've just read the wiki piece and later I will explore YouTube to get a sense of his style. The wiki description of the box made it sound like it was worth going back for.

Any comments from his fans?

19. George P

Was it the original box, with the individual jewel cases? If so, grab it. I got a copy last year and I love it.

20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

The box was cube shaped but tbh, I didn't study it enough to notice that detail. I just wrote his name on my hand and came home to research it. Classical music doesn't exactly sell quickly so I can go back tomorrow and check it out more closely. Actually, now that I am looking at how nine CDs look stacked and that approximates the general shape so I think I can safely say, most likely.....:D

21. Mr Bass

Now Listening To

Guillaume de Machaut. Polyphonic Chansons. Binkley, von Ramm, Levitt, Jones. EMI Germany gold label

Some more Early Music early in the year. This is the second volume of Machaut that the Early Music Studio put out, the first being his Monophonic chansons. Yes even in the 14th century there was a great divide between the monos and the stereos and Machaut was trying to please them all. :agree: Sadly Machaut is usually one of the worst performed of the early great composers and he might well be termed the first great composer in the modern sense. But these LPs are wonderful IMO. Sonically the gold label sounds better than the red label EMI. I have to assume it is due to vinyl formulation changes.

machautpoly.jpg

Urban Spaceman likes this.
  22. George P

Yeah, mine is roughly cube shaped:

[​IMG]

The newer one (I don't know if it's the same mastering) looks like this:

[​IMG]

23. coopmv

Me too! :agree:

24. drh

drh Talking Machine

Not sure I'd go quite that far.... :wtf:

25. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Yes I was quoting the article. Personally I think it's a circus act.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.