Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #52)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drh

drh Talking Machine

You're welcome! As a bit of a follow-on, K. 271a or i or whatever has drawn attention from some pretty distinguished names; Yehudi Menuhin recorded it during the 78 era, and David Oistrakh made recordings with both Gauk and Kondrashin, once upon a time both available in the States on some of those little mono LP labels that tried to carve a niche issuing Soviet-derived material.

RiRiIII likes this.
  2. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

http://liveweb.arte.tv/fr/video/Kri...a__Alessandro_Kramer_et_l_Orchestre_de_Paris/

An amazing concert that took place last week in Paris with the Brazilian guitarist Yamandu Costa and his 7-string Guitar, the Orchestre de Paris under Kristian Jaervi! Do not miss this marvelous program:

Arturo Márquez - Danzón n°2

Paulo Aragão - Hommage à Ernesto Nazareth pour guitare à sept cordes et orchestre

Yamandu Costa - Passeios suite pour guitare à sept cordes et accordéon (création française)

Aaron Copland - Symphonie n°3

3. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now listening:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Quintet for Piano and Winds K452
    Ludwig van Beethoven – Quintet for Piano and Winds Op.16
    Murray Perahia with members of the English Chamber Orchestra:
    Neil Black, oboe, Thea King, clarinet, Tony Halstead, horn, Graham Sheen, bassoon (CBS Records Masterworks – Sony Classics)

[​IMG]

john greenwood, RiRiIII and Robin L like this.
  4. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

A nice one! It took me years to find the CD (when the CDs were sought after...) A nice and commited performance, softer than I like.

My alltime favorite recording is:

[​IMG]

Also Lupu with the Concertgebouw Orchestra soloists:

[​IMG]

5. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

The Menuhin is on EMI Menuhin box: The Great Recordings, 50 CDs, 2009. If I am reading their credits correctly, it was recorded May 9, 1932 at the Salle Pleyel, Paris with George Enescu conducting the Orchestre Symphonique de Paris. Transferred to digital, 1990. Cadenzas by Enescu.

I have pulled that disc to listen tonight.

6. dale 88

Menuhin, Yehudi - Menuhin_ The Great EMI Recordings.jpg
    the Menuhin box cover

7. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Been listening recently to Jascha H. We have quite a few of his (violin) concerto recordings, all the big ones, of course, plus some less popular violin concertos. Both on LP & on ceedee. Even though I dislike (in principle :)) the Big Way 20th century playing, I have to admit that when I put Jascha playing, it's a fest. The tempi are sometimes slightly too fast, in my opinion, that causes him to sound hysterical/neurotic or something (like the first Takts of the Sibelius concerto) but basically things are OK. And usually there are good bands accompanying him (like Boston/Chicago SO) but sometimes also quite mediocre combos. Of course, Grumiaux and Szeryng (& few others like Ferras and Ricci) are great, too. Yet there's some weird Jascha magic in his recordings.

Last weekend an old school mate was visiting. There was some barock music playing, from Freiburger Barockorchester box. Franz Biber or something like that, i.e. something not as famous as J.S. Bach. And then, in a middle of sentence, he just did sigh: gee, what a violinist! (It was either Petra Müllejans or Gottfried von der Goltz as the "Primas" of the band in that recording.) I mean, excellent playing just comes through.

No hype whatsoever. Good, lively playing - is it "brisk(y)" in English, when it is meant that something is lively in manners, bright and distinct in sonics, and players pay well attention to each others while playing (being awake in that sense)...? Something like that.

Personally, I guess, I like slightly more of the recording of the European Brandenburg Ensemble with Trevor Pinnock, "Six concertos for the Margrave of Brandenburg". That is, of the most recent bunch. Still more I like of the AAM/Egarr recording (it's even a SACD). I guess - haven't listened to it for some time now. The Freiburger Barockorchester DVD "Bach at the Castle Cöthen" was quite good, too. But I just couldn't stand their posing (in the Cöthen, where the DVD was shoot) so I had to rip the audio from the DVD. But the accident had already happened; therefore, I couldn't enjoy the music at full force. (However, their Tafelmusik box is just fabulous, very tasty [we have Tafelmusik sets from the sixties onwards and I did compared them to the Freiburger set when this one came out: I just won't go back to older recordings anymore; they have nothing to give when compared to the Freiburg BO]... Bands and recordings like that are just in their own class: the first generation "historical" recordings are mostly quite odd stuff. But I eagerly admit: with the Brandenburg Concertos it's different - they're more popular, therefore, there are more recordings available, something for everyone, hopefully.)

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/editorial/bachs-brandenburg-concertos

8. drh

drh Talking Machine

Yup, that would be the one. Issued in the U.S. as Victor set 231, spread across 4 78 RPM disks that curiously did not credit the orchestra. Oddly, although the two "Mozart" concerti of questionable provenance both were recorded during the 78 era, the unquestionably authentic nos. 1 and 2 were not.

9. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:

Peter Tchaikovsky – Symphony No.1 op.13 "Winter Daydreams", No.2 op.17 "Little Russian"
    — New York Philharmonic — Leonard Bernstein (Sony Classics)

[​IMG]

10. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Very nice, they actually have an ipad app with a lot of interesting concerts available for viewing. I am watching PIL right now :shh:
    Thanks for sharing :righton:

11. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Arte Live Web is wonderful. Amazing channel!

12. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

13. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

It looks like I do not have this DUO ... :shh:

14. Jonno

Jonno Forum Resident

I can't find the post now, but someone linked to a follow-up Living Stereo box. Anyone care to speculate on what could be in this box? Is there another 60 CDs worth of fantastic stuff to fill it?

15. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Here it is:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/RCA-Living-Stereo-Vol-2/hnum/3793157

1.-5.CD Beethoven: Klavierkonzerte Nr. 1-5 (Rubinstein, Symphony of the Air, Krips)
    6.CD Strauss: Burleske für Klavier & Orchester; Rachmaninoff: Klavierkonzert Nr. 1 (Janis, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Reiner)
    7.CD Tschaikowsky: Symphonie Nr. 6 "Pathetique" (Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Reiner)
    8.CD Tschaikowsky: Symphonie Nr. 5 (Boston Symphony Orchestra, Monteux)
    9.CD Hovhaness: Mysterious Mountain / Stravinsky: Le baiser de la fee (Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Reiner)
    10.CD Brahms: Piano Concerto Nr. 1 (Graffman, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Munch)
    11.CD Mussorgsky: Bilder einer Ausstellung; Liszt: Rigoletto-Paraphrase (Janis)
    12. CD Rossini: Ouvertüren (Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Reiner)
    13.CD Tschaikowsky: Derr Nussknacker-Suite (Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Reiner)
    14.CD Beethoven: Klaviersonaten Nr. 7 & 23 “Appassionata” (Vladimir Horowitz)
    15.CD Tschaikowsky: Symphonie Nr. 4 (Boston Symphony Orchestra, Monteux)
    16.CD Mahler: Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen; Kindertotenlieder
    (Forrester, Boston Symphonie Orchestra, Munch)
    17.CD Beethoven: Violinsonaten Nr. 5 “Kreutzer” & Nr. 9 “Frühling” (Arthur Rubinstein, Henryk Szeryng)
    18.CD Schubert Streichquartett “Der Tod und das Mädchen” (Juilliard String Quartet)
    19.CD Khachaturian: Masquerade-Suite; Kabalewsky: The Comedians (RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra, Kondrashin)
    20.CD Copland: Appalachian Spring; The Tender Land-Suite (Boston Symphony Orchestra, Copland)
    21.CD Bizet: Carmen for Orchestra (Morton Gould and His Orchestra)
    22.CD Reiner conducts Wagner (Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Reiner)
    23.CD The Virtuoso Liszt (Gary Graffman)
    24.CD Brahms: Klavierkonzert Nr. 2 (Richter, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Leinsdorf)
    25.CD Julian Bream spielt Gitarrenkonzerte von Guilini & Arnold (Bream, Melos Ensemble)
    26.CD Schubert: Klaviersonate D. 850 (Emil Gilels)
    27.CD Beethoven: Serenade op. 8; Kodaly: Duo für Violine & Cello (Jascha Heifetz, William Primrose, Gregor Piatigorsky)
    28.CD The Golden Age of English Lute Music (Julian Bream)
    29.CD Beethoven: Streichtrio op. 9 Nr. 2; Schubert: Streichtrio Nr. 2 B-Dur; Bach: 3 Sinfonias (Jascha Heifetz, William Primrose, Gregor Piatigorsky)
    30.CD Grieg: Klavierkonzert op. 16; Klavierwerke (Rubinstein, Alfred Wallenstein and Orchestra)
    31.CD My favorite Chopin (Van Cliburn)
    32.CD Saint-Saens: Karneval der Tiere; Britten: The Young Person’s Guide To The Orchestra (Boston Pops Orchestra, Fiedler)
    33.CD Chopin: Les Sylphides: Die Liebe zu den drei Orangen-Suite (Boston Pops Orchestra, Fiedler)
    34.CD Dvorak: Symphonie Nr. 4 (Boston Symphonie Orchestra, Munch)
    35.CD Mahler: Symphonie Nr. 1 (Boston Symphony Orchestra, Leinsdorf)
    36.CD Debussy: Prelude a l’apres-midi d’un faune; Nuages; Fetes; Printemps
    (Boston Symphony Orchestra, Munch)
    37.-39.CD Puccini: Tosca (Milanov, Björling, Warren, Rome Opera Orchestra, Leinsdorf)
    40./41.CD Beethoven: Symphonien Nr. 8 & 9 (Price, Forrester, Poleri, Tozzi, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Munch)
    42./43.CD Berlioz: Romeo e Juliette (Elias, Valletti, Tozzi, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Munch)
    44.-46.CD Donizetti: Lucia di Lammermoor (Peters, Peerce, Tozzi, Maero, Rome Opera Orchestra, Leinsdorf)
    47.-50.CD Rossini: Der Barbier von Sevilla (Merrill, Peters, Corena, Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, Leinsdorf)
    51.-53.CD Verdi: Otello (Vickers, Rysanek, Gobbi, Rome Opera Orchestra, Serafin)
    54.-56.CD Bach: Messe h-moll BWV 232 (Robert Shaw Chorale and Orchestra, Shaw)
    57./58.CD Verdi: Requiem (Nilsson, Chookasian, Bergonzi, Flagello, Boston Chorus Pro Musica, Nash Petterson)
    59./60.CD Chopin: Nocturnes (Arthur Rubinstein)

bluemooze likes this.
  16. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

But who is doing the mastering???

17. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

At this price, most probably the remastering of the previous reissues of the discs included in the box is used.

18. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

So I suspect. As the first box consisted of the remastered redbook layers of the SACDs, the sound was quite good overall. Now it will be hit and miss.

19. Jonno

Jonno Forum Resident

Fantastic, thankyou.

20. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

At last this legendary Nonesuch recording on CD just arrived from Japan:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    Stone Turntable likes this.
  21. drh

drh Talking Machine

Just curious: reactions?

22. dale 88

I enjoyed hearing Menuhin from 1932. Nice playing. Sometimes the orchestral phrases didn't sound very Mozartean to me or that could be the conductor.

The sound was clear, but EMI must have reduced the groove noise.

23. John S

John S Forum Resident

Now enjoying CD2:
    Mendelssohn
    Violin Concerto Op. 64

1960, Haitink/Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
    Brahms
    Violin Concerto Op. 77

1971, Davis/New Philharmonia

Arthur Grumiaux, violin

[​IMG]

I love hearing these two back-to-back. Grumiaux sounds like he's having fun with the Mendelssohn third movement, then we move into Brahms' solemnity.

kevinsinnott and john greenwood like this.
  24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Here's one of my favorite "worst" classical LP covers.

[​IMG]

Yours?

Stone Turntable likes this.
  25. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

No such thing as an inferior DGG tulip.I own hundreds,going back to the earliest postwar 78s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.