Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #56)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Cantigas de Amigo - 13th-Century Galician-Portuguese Songs & Dances of Love, Longing & Devotion" performed by Ensemble Alcatraz with Kitka on Dorian. Most beautiful. :)

[​IMG]

Robin L likes this.
  2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Also available at the Kitka website:

http://www.kitka.org/store/index.html

3. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

I wonder Robin's claim concerning Hilary Hahn's early Bach's partitas & sonata (BWV1004-1006): "Probably her best as well." She has matured tremendously since those early days also as a recording artist. At the age of seventeen, she sure had the skills to play almost anything, but as a well-ruminated understanding on all the dimensions of Bach's meditations...? Almost impossible. She has done better work after those early recordings.

After going through the Beznosiuk, Busch, Faust, Fischer, Hahn, and Podger recordings - unfortunately, not everone of them have recorded all of the BWV 1001-1006 - I'm suprised that it's Christine Busch whose playing has suprised me the most. And Podger's star is rising in my eyes (yeas, I was sceptical about her 'Sei solo'). Huggett and Mullova I haven't heard. Teztlaff's recording I have ordered but not received yet (5 months on its way!). Jansen's recording I'm still waiting to be played and released. Perhaps one day...

Of the older players, Jascha's too romantic (and great with romanticism), so perhaps Grumiaux, Millstein, Szeryng? I should get some of those old farts. Ehh... their Bach records, I mean.

4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have quite a few of Huggett and Mullova recordings and they are both very outstanding violinists. Huggett was the first violinist in the AAD under Chirstopher Hogwood before she struck out on her own. The current AAD is made up of largely new blood and does not quite have the same level of virtuosity as the ensemble under Hogwood. I continue to marvel at high great those old masters like Grumiaux, Szeryng and Milstein were ...

Mr Bass likes this.
  5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

It's track 11 "Mandad' ci comigo" that has the Mediaeval Baebes thing going on. I wonder if they know each other? (Kitka and the Baebes that is)

6. coopmv

More piano works, now playing the following CD from my JS Bach collection ...

[​IMG]

Joe071, PH416156 and bluemooze like this.
  7. John S

John S Forum Resident

Enjoying this today:

[​IMG]

For this recording a' = 415 Hz. I wonder if this presented a big challenge to those participating musicians burdened with perfect pitch...

PH416156 and bluemooze like this.
  8. coopmv

I will need to re-listen to this recording at least another time or two to get a better impression. I am still not sold on Minkowski even though I have about a half dozen recordings by him. He is held in high regards by members of another classical music-only forum where I used to participate ...

9. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

A taste of Tetzlaff. I was at this performance.

http://92yondemand.org/christian-tetzlaff-plays-bach-sonata-no-3-in-c-major-bwv-1005/

jukes and bluemooze like this.
  10. coopmv

11. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

That's from 2008.

He'll be performing the set of six again this fall in a marathon recital. I heartily recommend it to anyone who can get to NYC.

Looks like he just did it in San Francisco.

12. coopmv

I thought he was in the Leonhardt and Harnoncourt generation ...

13. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

I just put couple of ceedees into the rack and noticed the Bach Concertos Box (incl. Brandenburgische & Suiten) by Grumiaux, The English Chamber Orchestra and Raymond Leppard. Congratulated myself for getting it; it basically stands the test of time.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  14. John S

John S Forum Resident

You prefer your Rameau played by whom?

15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

First listen to CD 1 "Joy - Troubadours' Songs And Jongleurs' Dances" from the "Love, Revelry And The Dance In Mediaeval Music" box set performed by Millenarium on Outhere.

[​IMG]

16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Kitka certainly is aware of the Mediaeval Baebes. Both Shira and I are rather taken by the intersection of Medieval music and pop. Dead Can Dance clearly comes to mind. And for Kit Higginson of Ensemble Alcatraz, the early work of the Incredible String Band is quite influential as well. Of course, a lot of Medieval performance practice is conjectural. Thomas Binkley's work incorporated elements of Middle Eastern and Eastern European music based on the notion that the music still performed in these places harkens back to very distant times. There's more than a bit of the Thomas Binkley influence on Ensemble Alcatraz, Sequentia and Project Ars Nova.

bluemooze likes this.
  17. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I have the Bach violin partitas and sonatas from Grumiaux, Szeryng, Milstein and Mullova. I can't say enough about Mullova's dedication to Bach. She was an internationally acclaimed violinist who set aside her classical technique and studied Baroque technique on a baroque violin. Her solo partitas and sonatas on Onyx are a wonderful testament to her artistry. Unfortunately, as with many CDs her violin sounds like a synthesizer in the recording although I emphasize there is nothing harsh or unpleasant about it. It does sound better if it is played at a low volume though.

Joe071 and bluemooze like this.
  18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Ain't so such thing as "Perfect Pitch" though many fine musicians have far better than average sonic memory. Think of all the musics of the world that involve different temperaments, different scales, totally different harmonic schemes.

19. coopmv

Herreweghe and Pinnock ...

20. coopmv

I read that Mullova actually performed on a historical violin on a few of her more recent recordings, i.e. she has never been known as an HIP violinist ...

21. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Gustav Mahler – Symphony No. 2 "Resurrection"
    — Lee Venora, soprano, Jennie Tourel, mezzo-soprano, The Collegiate Chorale
    — New York Philharmonic — Leonard Bernstein (Sony Classics)

[​IMG]

22. coopmv

These are some half-century old Brandenburg Concertos recordings, though the age does not diminish the virtuosity of Grumiaux and the ECO and the decent SQ. Even though I much prefer listening to baroque works performed on period instruments, I often find myself returning to these early-day stereo recordings of these most celebrated JS Bach works. They still sound far more authentic than those conducted by Karajan or Klemperer using the full orchestra ...

23. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

The Stravinsky on mine is the Basel Concerto. It's Klassizistische Moderne Volume 1 on Arte Nova. Pulcinella is on Volume 3

Robin L likes this.
  24. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Ormandy's first recording of Pictures At An Exhibition dates from 1953.It first came out on this LP that turned up for years at the thrift stores.
    [​IMG]

My first exposure to Ormandy was through those horrid RCA and Columbia records of the 70s and early 80s.Nothing redeeming in the sounds or performances of any of them for me.It was years later,that I would take a chance on anything else from Ormandy.What did it for me was finding a complete collections of The World's Greatest Music 78 set from 1938-40 at Goodwill for a few dollars,and hearing the Beethoven Fifth.
    https://archive.org/search.php?query=ormandy beethoven 5
    The sound (recorded by RCA),the electricity that crackles through this performance,and everything else just blew me away.Its one of the top twenty or so recordings I would play from 1925-46,on the original shellacs,to show how great 78s can sound through a good tube based system,with a fine amplifier with dedicated 78 stage.I use a Fisher X-101 made in 1959.

I then started buying a lot more Ormandy,and found there are a lot more gems to be discovered,especially in the 78 and early LP years.I lose interest with Ormandy's recordings around 1963.

Joe071, MrSka57 and bluemooze like this.
  25. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Piano Concerto No.21 K467
    Stefan Vladar, piano — Camerata Salzburg

Ludwig Van Beethoven – Piano Concerto No.2 Op.19
    Paul Lewis, piano — BBC Symphony Orchestra — Jiri Belohlavek (Harmonia Mundi)

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.