Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #57)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

The German pianist Karl Betz started his career in the 80`s being spezialised on Liszt, but (to me) his finest moment bar none came with this 1989 recording (released in 1991) of Schubert`s "Deutsche Tänze" aka "Ländler" - never they sounded so clear, floating but somehow sad at the same time....a veritable gem.....

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have her Goldberg Variations in the SACD format by the same record label ...

Soulpope likes this.
  3. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

A very good interpretation too....

4. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Now playing…
    [​IMG]

Soulpope, Joe071 and vanhooserd like this.
  5. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Then this…one of my favorite LPs in my collection.
    [​IMG]

Joe071 and EasterEverywhere like this.
  6. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

At the price being asked, I would say "No way!". The casting on 'paper alone' is not exactly something a Wagnerian would write home about. Over a period of time, watching the listed casting for this Pentatone janowski project . whils personally having something like 14 Wagner Ring Cycles and countless versions of Wagner's other operas, the listing of singers thus used, tended to disappoint. For half the price, I brought the entire set of Barenboim's conducted complete Wagner Operas plus an added duplication ...the Blu Ray set version of The Ring by the same conductor, for under half the price. With the monetary change left over from the 344 English Pounds asked for the Pentatone SACD Janowski set, you could buy , say also a few Wagner Rings done by other worthy conductors. And especially so....be able to buy Janowski's former digital made 80's Ring stereo set -now budget price - on RCA. The cast on that version is probably more famous, in any case than the cast used on hs SACD set.
    The big 'elephant in the room' question really is....."What's the big deal to pay such a big extra amount just to have the music... on SACD?" :)

Sordel likes this.
  7. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Over the last weekend I listened to the newly released edition on Sony /RCA Opera budget series- the complete studio -produced (processed in 24.bit/ 96kz )Bizet's Carmen with Rise Stevens, Jan Peerce, and Robert Merrill conducted by Fritz Reiner in 1951. The mono sound - (considering it is from 1951 !) - is jaw dropping. The performances are benchmark quality. Thinking of the all the other various stereo versions one has of this work - this version shows 'how it REALLY should be done'. With voices that were truly properly fully trained and meant ....."to last out a long operatic career"...(and did) / being the right voices, for the roles sung/ and a fabulous conductor like Reiner , in charge.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    EasterEverywhere and ToddBD like this.
  8. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

To clarify, this Vienna "studio" Walküre should have been the first installment in an HMV Furtwängler Ring, but the conductor died. The other album looks like the Immolation with Flagstad, coupled with Siegfried's Rhine Journey and Funeral March, recorded as excerpts.

9. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Nice, I'll have to get this. If only Sony would follow up their Reiner box with "Fritz Reiner - Complete RCA Victor and Columbia Monaural Recordings".. I would be all over that one.

10. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

Just have to re-listen to this exceptional performance`s Ouverture....

EasterEverywhere, ToddBD and Joe071 like this.
  11. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

thereof Sonata No. 3........

ToddBD, Joe071 and J.A.W. like this.
  12. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Thanks for the response. I've read up the reviews of the Pentatone Wagner since I posted my question here and your criticism of the cast has been widely echoed elsewhere: vocal performances in this series seem to have been very mixed. Packaging seems to be quite underwhelming and some of the conducting choices come under fire but the orchestral recording is generally praised. I doubt I'll be buying this set.

Joe071 likes this.
  13. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

Beethoven Trios 3+5......

14. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

NP:

[​IMG]

ToddBD and Soulpope like this.
  15. coopmv

How do you like this box? I added it to my Wagner collection a few years ago ...

16. coopmv

Ordered the following CD over the weekend and a new addition to my early music collection ...

Vellard is great for early music

[​IMG]

ToddBD and Joe071 like this.
  17. fly4x4

fly4x4 Forum Resident

Hello,

I am really starting to enjoy classical now that I have my system where I can appreciate this amazing music. My primary source is my turntable so I am looking for some help on recommendations for 5 must have LP's in the classical genre. I like to buy the audiophile grade vinyl if at all possible and see that Analogue Productions has the Living stereo series back out but I just have no clue on this genre or where to even begin.
    I have the Telarc 1812 Overture LP and think that is such an amazing piece of music and want to explore more and any help would be very much appreciated.

Best Regards

Jeff

18. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

I cherisch this recording a lot - the orchestral part ist performed exquisitely by the Symphonie Orchester des Bayrischen Rundfunks - keeping under Kubelik`s guidance a perceptibly mysterious mood - and the singers are excellent with special mention going to both Yvonne Minton as Kundry and James King as Parsifal....

19. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Hey Jeff,

I can't recommend this excellent box enough:

[​IMG]
    And please read this highly informative article http://www.high-endaudio.com/softw.html before parting with any of your hard-earned dough. ;)

Joe

ToddBD and Robin L like this.
  20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Great but they aren't LPs. In fact, if you've got the fancy-schmanzy turntable, why not hunt down the originals of these? As far as I'm concerned, hunting down classic recordings in the original issues/pressings is more to the point than popping $30 plus tax 'n' shipping. Plenty of these London/Decca titles on excellent transfers the first go-round. While the wear and tear of the ages applies to Used Vinyl as much as anything else, used Classical LPs are generally in much better condition than most other used LPs. Just yesterday I found the Stereo Treasury Series re-release of Peter Maag/Paris Conservatory Orchestra in Rossini Overtures in great sound for 95¢. In fact, last week I found 20 import classical LPs, mostly 1970's Philips pressings from the Netherlands, for 95¢ a pop. Do you have a record cleaning machine? A necessary tool for audiophile collectors of used LPs.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  21. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

And when it comes to the Analogue Productions Living Stereo releases you asked about, this would be on my 5 must have list:

AAPC 2446: Rimski-Korsakoff: Scheherazade (Reiner/CSO)
    AAPC 2201: Moussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition (Reiner/CSO)
    AAPC 2767: Rozsa: Violin Concerto (Heifetz & Hendl/DSO)
    AAPC 2456: Lalo: Symphonie Espagnole (Szeryng & Hendl/CSO)
    AAPC 2395: Prokofiev: Alexander Nevsky (Reiner/CSO)

Hope this helps. Truth be told we're just scratching the surface here.

Robin L likes this.
  22. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Those are LPs. Decca did an LP box and a CD box.

Robin L likes this.
  23. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Actually, they are. It's a 6-LP box released at the same time as the 50-CD box.

24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I did not know that. So how do these pressings compare to the originals?

25. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Haven't compared them yet. I have such a back log of comparisons to do but the new Decca reissues are on my list. Especially the ORG Londons on 45rpm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.