Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #58)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manelus

Manelus Active Member

Interesting, both recording technique and performance.
    I'll give it a try as soon as it is released.

2. Soulpope

Soulpope Forum Resident

[​IMG]

(Altus Japan ALTSA026 SACD)

ToddBD likes this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Liner-notes printed on glossy paper and a nice box may actually cost more than the CD's ...

4. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I have a few of his Hovhaness recordings with the Seattle Symphony and like them a lot. I just bought the Delos Hanson double and he conducts every piece with three different orchestras. I haven't listened to it yet.

5. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, which just arrived yesterday for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Soulpope, ToddBD and J.A.W. like this.
  6. john greenwood

john greenwood Forum Resident

Both Giulini in America boxes are available on Spotify.

Soulpope likes this.
  7. Soulpope

Soulpope Forum Resident

[​IMG]

(DG Universal Japan UCCG-90368 SHM-CD) - therefrom Symphony 9

8. john greenwood

In this case I was able to listen to 3 recordings of the opening of "Pictures at an Exhibition" (horn fanfare and strings) performed by the CSO conducted by Giulini, Solti and Reiner (redbook). I listened through a pair of Sennheiser 650s connected to an oldish Creek headphone amp. The source was a Squeezebox Duet. The Solti and Reiner were lossless. The Giulini though Spotify was purportedly at 320 kbps, so not that far from lossless. I would rate the SQ in this order:

1. Reiner
    2. Giulini
    3. Solti

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I suspect that the key element in the SQ of the Reiner/CSO recording of "Pictures" is the way the ensemble extends to the farthest dynamic extremes in this performance. That is to say, it's the way Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra play full-out in their performance that makes the difference sonically.

Soulpope, kevinsinnott and ToddBD like this.
  10. john greenwood

In the limited excerpts I compared, the superiority of the Reiner was the sound of the strings. Sweet, not wiry.

11. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Now playing...Symphonie Fantastique and the Overture to Les Francs Juges, Chicago Symphony/Solti. I love the crescendo at the end of the March to the Scaffold. Epic.
    [​IMG]

vanhooserd likes this.
  12. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Thanks for the Reiner recommendation--I just ordered the SACD version. It's amazing what those engineers could accomplish with just 3 mics!

13. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

What also amazes me is that some of the greatest stereo recordings in history were made at the beginning of the use of that technology.

14. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Yep. Here is a review of the SACD version that perfectly captures my opinion of current/past recordings: "Just how hard can it be, in this age of digi-techno miracle machinery, to make a recording of a major symphony orchestra that sounds natural? They could do it at RCA Living Stereo (and Mercury Living Presence) in the 1950's with only two or three microphones and analog tube equipment. Today, with all the gizmos, most orchestral recordings are over-processed, over-equalized, over-mixed and blended, pasturized and homogenized into grating sterility.

This recording is wonderful. The performance is magic. The SACD layer is even more natural sounding than the CD layer. Keep your 5.1 multi-channel surround sound, I'm hooked on Living Stereo."

ToddBD likes this.
  15. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

There is no way for me to like this post enough :edthumbs:

16. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

17. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Elly Ameling collection ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD likes this.
  18. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Elly Ameling collection ...

[​IMG]

19. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I'm familiar with both works and enjoy both. I think I have Mozart Piano concerto played by Breiner that is fantastic, because he plays all kinds of jazzy improvised parts in it. It was surprising to hear it. I think it was on Lydian. I know he's done other conducting for Naxos labels and I've always found him very good, and a risk taker
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

RCA's "Living Stereo" series did not deploy two or three microphones. Here's a chart of the 1959 Reiner/CSO recording of Strauss" Don Quixote, four Neumann U-47's, three Neumann M 49's:

[​IMG]

Joe071 likes this.
  21. coopmv

Now playing CD1 of the following twofer from my JS Bach collection for a second listen ...

[​IMG]

Soulpope likes this.
  22. George P

George P Give Me Your Sweet Soul Dream Thread Starter

Ok, let's say (for simplification) that the Chilingirian is a 10/10 (for performance.) Is the Doric a 9/10? An 8/10?

And the Los Angeles 2 seems to be OOP on CD. Unless I am not searching correctly.

So maybe the Doric is the way to go here?

23. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Forum Resident

Well I really don't do those kinds of mathematical percentages. I only rank order acceptable performances in terms of preference which I already did. I have heard few bad performances of Korngold's music so it must play itself. I did check on Amazon and there are samples for the Doric so you can listen and decide. Regards.

24. George P

I have heard the Doric samples, but since there is no samples for the Chilingirian Quartet (and none on youtube) and I am not familiar with this music, an informed decision eludes me.

25. George P

:wave:

Let's continue over here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.