Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #59)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

To be honest, I am surprised DG actually re-released these recordings, which probably were never good sellers to begin with ...

2. coopmv

Now playing CD9 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Soulpope, ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

"Bland" is the right description.

4. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

I have a DVD of Gulda playing some Mozart concerti at a summer piano camp with (I think) the Munich orchestra. He had technique out the wazoo, and I enjoy those performances immensely...lots of character in the music, and the cadenzas are wicked.

5. drh

drh Talking Machine

As long as we're on pianists who straddled the classical/jazz fence, anybody ever hear Alexander Jenner in any jazz? He made some classical recordings for Remington way back in the early LP era, and of all things there's a cheapie Point Classics CD issue of him in the Bartok 2d and 3d concerti. I've never heard him in jazz, however.

From the Remington Records site:

It was Alexander Jenner - playing in the Viennese art-club "Strohkoffer" - who at the end of the nineteen forties introduced Friedrich Gulda (1930-2000) to the essence and joys of the jazz idiom. After that he and Friedrich Gulda often played four hands boogie woogie.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    John S likes this.
  6. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

They are Japanese imports, so that might explain it. I'm surprised that they cost only $13-15 each--sealed!

7. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I've never heard of Jenner and the only Gulda jazz I've heard is the one track on The Greatest Pianists of the 20th Century. It's a nice track, but it is just the one. That might be a good thing if he usually plays Boogie Woogie. I like it in small doses, but I found out the hard way that a whole album, or 3 disc box, is too much of a good thing.

8. coopmv

I see. Karajan was and still is, the god of classical music to many Japanese. The best version of these Handel Concerti Grossi Op 6 is by the English Concert/Trevor Pinnock IMO.

bluemooze likes this.
  9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I have some of the jazz recordings that he did for Contemporary, which I find neither bland nor exciting; maybe "interesting" is the word I would use. As usual for the label, sound is excellent. The stuff he did for Columbia is closer to easy-listening.

Joe071 likes this.
  10. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Deutsche Grammophon Universal Japan UCCG-40007 SHM-CD)

11. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

12. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

+1 :edthumbs:

Have at least 50 solo/trio titles on my shelves.

13. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Latest "update" concerning my frustrating obsession with Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy's string quartets... :)

I was quite suprised by the broad soundscape of the Mandelring Quartett's recordings. Listened first with headphones and it was really annoying to be in the middle of the band. No such impression with loudspeakers. I certainly prefer narrower soundscape - like on Melos Quartet's 1980's recordings - when using the headphones. But that's a minor issue, especially while I'm not into headphones. Mandelring Q's set (Kammermusik für Streicher) certainly goes onto divided first place along the Gewandhaus Quartet's set (so the third place is shared by the very affordable Henschel and New Zealand Quartets' sets).

It's been fun to compare the 21st century recordings with the 1980's recordings by Bartholdy and Melos Quartets. Bartholdy Q did the first ever complete set of Mendelssohn quartets, so it's certainly one kind of historical landmark. I've noticed there's also a digital version of the set, but it's so clearly a 20th century understanding and interpretation of Mendelssohn (Mendelssohn as light-weight, youthful, perky, but/and one-dimensional, almost a second rate composer with no depth whatsoever - à la cutie Cherubini Quartet?), that I wouldn't tell anyone to grab it as the first encounter with Mendelssohn. It's the Gewandhaus Q that allowed to Mendelssohn and his music all the human traits (that are in his music), I believe. So it's another landmark recording, sort of.

I still like very much of the Zemlinsky Quartet's recordings I do have - no full set, at least not yet, but luckily they've recorded the central op. 44 quartets (all three), as well as the staggering op. 80 f minor quartet. After the enchantment of the SACD's is gone, there's still the passion and dedication of the then matured players present, immortalized into ones and zeros... Of the individual performances (Alban Berg/Guarneri/Ysaÿe/etc. Quartets) I can only conclude, that I'd be interested in hearing the Emerson Quartet's set - mainly because it seems to divide people quite strongly.

After one listening, I'm not in a position to pass strong judgements (especially while not an expert), but the playing of the Mandelring Quartet is "naturally" on highest level and I've liked very much the flow (of the music); they don't show-off with the difficulties or the tempos but submit themselves to the fluency of the expression. Very enjoyable so far.

I just hope someday I dare to buy also the Leipziger and Pacifica Quartets' sets. Both have been praised but also questioned their excellence, just like the sets by Gewandhaus/Henschel/Mandelring/New Zealand Quartets.

ToddBD, Joe071 and bluemooze like this.
  14. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Speaking of quartets, now enjoying this CD for the first time.

Joe071, bluemooze and Soulpope like this.
  15. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

In case it`s not been part of your listening experiences I suggest to try this one :

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Joe071 like this.
  16. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

I think that's the digital version of their set (I have the LP box, "of course" ;)). Correct me if I'm wrong, please!

17. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

Yes, either 2* Double-LP`s

[​IMG]

or LP Box...really good analog recording too....also quite heralded @my place :

[​IMG]

particularly opus 44/1 ......on a side note, opus 44/1 was relased a single CD coupled with an outstanding rendition of Schumann op. 41 in 2008 as a "nice price" release

[​IMG]

with a (to me) better transfer as compared to the Box Set...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    jukes and bluemooze like this.
  18. JBrahms

JBrahms New Member

Okay, all the Copland Appalachian Spring posts inspired my avatar (8 of my favorite Appalachian Spring recordings).

FWIW, the early Sony SACD (lower right of pic) is my favorite

ToddBD, bluemooze and Joe071 like this.
  19. JBrahms

JBrahms New Member

Regarding box sets, I'm looking for some advice on my next purchase:

I own the Living Presence II (also own most of the discs in the first edition independently) - the Bernstein symphony edition - the Phillips Obsessed with Sound - the Decca Analogue Years and the Furtwangler. I own too many of the Living Stereos to get one of the boxes.

I have several of the smaller EMI box sets by composer or performer (e.g., Klemperer, Barbirolli)

I see the Brilliant recordings mentioned quite a bit but don't have any of these.

Appreciate all thoughts.

20. George P

I'd say you need some piano boxes. Like the Collard Faure one on Brilliant. Or perhaps the Janis Concerto one, also on Brilliant. Both are superb performances and dirt cheap.

JBrahms likes this.
  21. JBrahms

JBrahms New Member

Thanks - What's your source for the Brilliant recordings?

I love Janis but don't know the other pianist

22. George P

I must say, it will probably be the last time. The CD, while in great sound, did not move me at all. (I am not sure if was the performances or the music that were not to my taste.) In addition, the last track of the CD skips repeatedly on my player. It plays fine on my portable CD player, though.

23. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

How about this? Less than $18 at Amazon.
    [​IMG]

JBrahms and J.A.W. like this.
  24. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

I think you should get Villa Lobos's String Quartets on Brilliant. A 6-CD set for 5 Eur + S&H, you just can't beat that. These recordings were formerly released on Dorian, sou you get the idea what sound quality to expect. http://www.amazon.de/Villa-Lobos-St...d&sr=1-1&keywords=string+quartets+villa+lobos Order NOW before they jack up the price.

JBrahms likes this.
  25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I find Korngold's music to be very pedantic and I 've never liked anything of his....not even his movie scores.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.