Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #59)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Now listening to Ginastera's SQ #1 for the first time:

Bachtoven and bluemooze like this.
  2. JBrahms

JBrahms New Member

Wow, $18 for 10 CDs - at some level he should be offended.

I only have the Chopin/Rubenstein Nocturnes set so that's a good tip, thanks.

How about the mega-boxes? DG, Vienna, Karajan, et al; any must-haves in the big boxes?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  3. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

I've been quite intrigued by the Philips box. Don't have it, haven't listened to it, so cannot comment on the sound. I did listen to maybe 30% of its contents, mostly on vinyl, and was quite impressed. Perhaps somebody else might chime in?

JBrahms likes this.
  4. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

JBrahms likes this.
  5. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I can recommend the Bruno Walter box. I am also a fan of Murray Perahia, and paid more for that box than the going price today.

JBrahms likes this.
  6. JBrahms

JBrahms New Member

I do currently have the Phillips box and enjoy it - I also own many of those Phillips discs on LP, so that's always interesting to compare. I think they did a good job with retaining the smooth Phillips sound

Love Walter but have a bunch of it on SACD, CD and LP; will need to check for dupes

Thanks everyone

7. George P

And I can strongly second it.

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Not to nitpick, but the label's name is Philips, 1 l. It was named after the Dutch Philips family, who founded the company in the late 19th Century: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philips. The American Phillips label had nothing to do with it; that label was founded by Sam Phillips, the owner of Sun Records: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillips_International_Records. For some reason this error is often made on U.S.-based boards.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    bluemooze and 5-String like this.
  9. George P

Indeed! Phillips always seems to have great sound.

10. JBrahms

JBrahms New Member

George/John: Is the Walter set all stereo? (I'm assuming it's the Columbia Symphony years?) - the 39 disc set that was released last year?

11. George P

No, it isn't all stereo. And yes, the set released last year.

JBrahms likes this.
  12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

You 're right, it is a very common mistake in US -based boards. It drives me crazy too.

13. JBrahms

JBrahms New Member

14. JBrahms

JBrahms New Member

I do thank the rest of you for your kind recommendations.

15. George P

My pleasure! :wave:

16. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Pre-order the Bernstein concertos/orchestral edition. Check out the price at Amazon UK. :)

17. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

It's mostly stereo, but some of the Mahler and some/all? of the Mozart is mono. There may be a few other mono recordings.

18. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Aha, so it was originally issued as two double-LP's... See, mine is a 4-LP box - obvious re-release. I don't know when that's been released. On LP labels there are the old "(P) 1973"/"(P) 1974" marks and that's the only time stamp there is. Those fine French and German stickers have been replaced with a small combined sticker.

Hm, outstanding Schumann... If that Nice Price passes me, I probably grab it & take home. Thanks for the info!

19. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

I love his Violin concerto in D. There are few quite fine recordings of it. Some emphasize romantic dimensions, some utilise (so to speak) expressionistic ingredients. But as with all musical pieces, some hate, some love. Never heard the Doric String Quartet record George - ehh... - tried to enjoy earlier today. But it's on my 'grab it when you can' list. In Decca's "Entartete Musik" series was released at least two ceedees with Korngold's music. It was the CD with violin concertos by Korngold, Krenek & Weill that waked me. The other ceedee, "Between Two Worlds", includes orchestral music. That's the record I have difficulties with.

20. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Has anyone heard the Doxy reissue (LP) of the Gould Goldberg Variations?

21. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Well, not always. I used to have this CD, and the sound was. . . not that great, to put it mildly. :mudscrying: However, on everything else I heard the sound was exceptional.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and J.A.W. like this.
  22. George P

[​IMG]

At last, I have found a copy of this that didn't break the bank! It arrived today and I am enjoying it now!

bluemooze and Joe071 like this.
  23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I agree, many of those 24-bit Philips/Decca/DG remasters weren't exactly sonic improvements over the earlier versions, at least not to my ears.

Joe071 likes this.
  24. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

for instance this one :

[​IMG]

25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

What would be a good recording of the violin concerto? Although I 've heard people talking very fondly about it, I never got the chance to listen to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.