Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by coopmv, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drh

drh Talking Machine

1923? It's acoustic? I thought Bruno Seidler-Winkler led the only complete acoustic B. 9th. The Coates electric account is a great favorite of mine--dim, congested recording, crummy English translation, and all--not least because it features about the finest quartet of soloists that I've heard on records and some truly first-rate choral work.

As to Coates in Mozart, would you happen to be referring to his account of the "Jupiter" Sym.? I love to spring that on people who accuse Toscanini of always being too fast.

2. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

If storage space is the issue, I wonder if our image uploads could be removed after a couple of weeks?

3. George P

George P Notable Member

This is my feeling as well.

4. George P

George P Notable Member

5. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Hallelujah!

I guess we have a guardian angel 'cos we are back in business.

6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011 Thread Starter

Eddie, Are you able to get at your own past posts to the classical threads when you drill down on your user name? I have all my past posts removed from that mode of access. My posts to the classical threads were also removed from the total tally of my posts. I PM'ed the person who moved the threads but have yet to get ANY response.

7. coopmv

Have you checked out some the past posts to the classical threads to see if they still have images?

8. coopmv

Now playing

Attached Files:

9. coopmv

The Goldberg Variations performance by Tatiana Nikolayeva was just fabulous. Now playing another CD I recently received from MDT ...

Attached Files:

10. The acoustical Coates Beethoven 9th has a chorus of eight singers, which turns out to be about the right number given the limitations of the recording process. (There are also five soloists; presumably the original alto was not available for a subsequent session, and they brought in a ringer.)

I noticed, last time I played the Coates electrical 78s, that in the slow movement the beginning of one side was not in the key I expected. At first I thought it might be speed variation, but it turns out that a few measures were omitted between sides, and Beethoven had modulated. Anyone transferring the electrical set could patch it in from the acoustical one, which seems to be complete.

Yes, I'm thinking of the Jupiter (again there are two versions) and Beethoven's Seventh as well (as excerpted on a Firesign Theatre LP.) Coates leaves Toscanini in the dust here, doesn't he?

By the way, along with Seidler-Winkler and Coates, there's a third pre-electrical Beethoven Ninth. Frieder Weissmann conducts the first three movements, recorded in 1924. The version issued by Parlophone in England uses a 1921 recording of the last movement (missing its orchestral intro) which while credited on the labels to Weissmann is actually conducted by Eduard Mörike. Mörike re-recorded the last movement (complete) in 1925, and that version is used for the German Parlophon and US Odeon sets. (I try to keep my copy of Claude Arnold's acoustical orchestral discography handy at all times!)

11. Jay F

Jay F New Member

12. George P

George P Notable Member

13. Just finished.

Sabine Meyer / Herbert Blomstedt / Dresden State Orchestra - Carl Maria Von Weber - The Two Clarinet Concertos & The Concertino
    EMI Angel Eminence - EMI Electrola - Germany - (for Capitol Industries EMI)

[​IMG]

DMM

14. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have it. Yes, it's on the harpsichord and it's quite nice. The recording is a little "in your face."

BTW - I've listened to the entire Hewitt WTC cycle and was very impressed.

I need to do a Chopin Nocturne compare and contrast one of these days.

15. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

Listening to the Mozart from my new Brendel Box set. Sonata K.310 is really great.

But why am I not a fan of concertos? I love the piano and I love symphonies, but the two of them together just don't work for me. I think its because the piano is a very intimate instrument whereas the symphony is bold and powerful. Maybe someday my view will change.

16. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

Today's purchases:

Wagner: Great Orchestral Highlights from the Ring, Die Meistersinger, Tristan und Isolde - George Szell, Cleveland Orchestra (Sony Classical single-layer SACD) ... I paid $6 for this and it looks like I lucked out... there's only one copy on Amazon and it's $127!

Wagner: Tristan und Isolde - an orchestral passion, Edo de Waart & Netherlands Radio Philharmonic ... this is a 60+ minute "symphonic synthesis" in the fashion of Stokowski, arranged by Henk de Vlieger. The same people did long-playing orchestral arrangements of Parsifal and the Ring (I have the former and like it). These CDs are almost worth it for the cover art alone.

Flagstad and Melchior: The Complete Wagner Duets (Pearl, transferred by Obert-Thorn)

Musiche organistiche della famiglia Bach (Organ music of Bach's family) - works of JS Bach, Johann Bernhard Bach, WF Bach, Johann Lorenz Bach, Johann Michael Bach, CPE Bach, JC Bach, Johann Ernst Bach, Heinrich Bach performed by Riccardo Doni (Sarx records) ... I have always been fascinated by the extended Bach family for some reason. I get off on reading their names more than anything else.

Attached Files:

17. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

I made a couple of purchases today also:

Attached Files:

18. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I haven't heard better, and yes you lucked out!

I bought a used SACD last year of Neeme Jarvi's Wagner Ring 'synthesis' on Chandos. It's fun to listen to in the car.

Jealous!!

And Frumaster, that St. Matthew Passion by Herrweghe is my favorite. I'll be curious what you think.

19. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Wagner is so effing metal.

20. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Gitcher balls to the wall, maaan!

21. drh

drh Talking Machine

On the road for the next few days. As I surfed the FM band driving through central VA tonight (not in the car with Sirius/XM), heard a very nice account of Mozart's final pno. cto. with Maria Tipo as soloist. She's come in for some good commentary in this thread, some of it by me, but I hadn't heard that before, and it was a real pleasure--for a time, the monotony of interstate driving at night faded into the background.

Humble Pie Dept.: Earlier, heard the general outlines of a Mozart "Jupiter" with Abbado that seemed quite fine, but my reception was so lousy that I couldn't really make a fair judgment. Evidently a new release on DG, but the orchestra was not a familiar name, and I couldn't quite make out what that name actually was through the static when the announcer finally came on. Up until fairly recently, I hadn't paid much attention to Abbado. Of late, however, I've had the experience of coming into numerous Abbado recordings midstream and finding them uncommonly satisfying. Either he's gotten better in recent years, or (more likely) I've been guilty of overlooking someone still active to whom I should have been lending a more appreciative ear.

22. drh

drh Talking Machine

Oh, and happy birthday Mendelssohn, whose 200th b'day (according to the radio) is today! A few favorites, with an emphasis on the piano, that are a bit off the beaten path:

The two concerti for 2 pianos and or.
    The preludes and fugues for piano.
    The piano sextet
    The fifth ("Reformation") symphony
    "I Am a Roamer Bold" from "Son and Stranger" (a patter song worthy of G&S)
    Any and all of the works for cello and piano
    The string symphonies

If interested in these last, look for the old Wurttemberg Chamber Or. accounts, which have recently emerged on a budget CD issue. Their disc mate is the better of the 2-pno. cti. in its original recording with Orazio Frugoni, made not long after the works were rediscovered. The playing is scrappy, but the enthusiasm is contagious, and the performance does not cut the coda as several others on record unaccountably do.

Mozart gets the credit as poster child prodigy, but I think Mendelssohn is the one who was really scary. I yield to no one in my admiration of W.A.M., but by comparison he was a late bloomer.

23. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

So this thread is not defunct after all. Damn I meant to play Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto today...still time. Meanwhile, I have this on (recorded 2003):

Attached Files:

24. drh

drh Talking Machine

Nope, although without a few of the defectors it will, I imagine, slow down considerably. Mind you, this is my last time for a couple of days to have Internet access sufficient to browse the forums.... :sigh:

25. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

What happened? This thread used to be one of the fastest on the board!

I got 3 DG Andres Segovia discs from BMG today:

Dedication
    The Art of Segovia
    The Great Master

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.