Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #60)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

According to Discogs, it was released in 1977, I don't know if there are other versions.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Is this an LP set?

3. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

Yes, its an 8 lp set.

4. coopmv

I did not think the CD set of Beethoven Symphonies by Bohm has been released before until recently ...

5. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

I didn't know their was a CD set lol. I'm still a newbie when it comes to classical records and CDs.

6. coopmv

For some reasons, Beethoven Symphonies by Karl Bohm were issued mostly as CD twofers until recently when DG finally released the full box. I read somewhere that the reason was due to some restrictions placed on DG by the Bohm estate. Interesting enough, Karl Bohm was actually trained as a lawyer before he became a conductor ...

7. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I used to have that. I got rid of it when I dumped a lot of my LPs.

8. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I bought it new sometime in the early 80s

9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Piano Concertos by Catalan composers Surinach & Montsalvatge played by fellow Catalan de Larrocha. Recorded in Kingsway Hall, 6/8 & 13/75. Producer: Michael Woolcock. Engineers: Philip Wade & James Lock. Mastering: Harry Fisher.

EasterEverywhere, AxC., Mik and 2 others like this.
  10. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

I could get rid of Abbado, Blomstedt, Hogwood, von Karajan 1970's, Norrington, even Szell and certainly Rattle sets, but not this lovely Böhm set... ;)

11. drh

drh Talking Machine

I know this set, in this packaging, as the major part of the "come one" to join a record club called The International Preview Society back in the late '70s. If you agreed to buy some fixed number of releases "at regular club prices" within some period of time, you got to keep the Beethoven set for $10. Also included was the Ferras/Karajan account of the Beethoven Vln. Cto.; that was yours to keep whether you suckered in on club membership or not. I joined as a college student but donated the introductory records to the college radio station, where I was in charge of classical programming (a few hours on Saturday afternoons; otherwise, the programming was largely New Wave). The club turned out to be expensive and, given how unreliable the campus mail was, irritating; before terminating my membership (which proved to be other than a straightforward process, if memory serves), I got a fair number of "release of the month" issues because the "return this card by date X or we'll ship it" card got lost in the campus PO.

I still remember "Monsieur Le Disque," the ghastly cartoon figure "mascot" that adorned the club's literature and catalogues. I also remember that membership in IPS got you regular junk mail plugging the Classical Music Lovers' Society. No, that wasn't the CLASSICAL MUSIC Lovers' Society. It was the Classical Music LOVERS' Society--a lonely hearts singles outfit catering to classical music fans. Ugggg.....

Anyhow, the IPS offered DG and Archiv releases with some frequency, but the records were pressed in the United States. Have a look at the edges of your box; if it bears an inconspicuous "Made in USA" notation, there's a better than fair chance it started off life as an IPS premium.

12. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I've been listening occasionally to parts of a new Decca box, Richard Strauss: Complete Tone Poems & Concertos. 13 CDs, 2014. It has various conductors. Today it was Andre Previn with the Vienna Philharmonic playing Sinfonia Domestica. I was quite taken with this performance. Gorgeous sound! from 1995.

[​IMG]

This was evidently the original cover from DGG.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  13. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

14. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Decca Universal Japan UCCD-7266)

bluemooze and J.A.W. like this.
  15. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Enjoying this fine LP before heading out to work this morning...
    [​IMG]

16. drh

drh Talking Machine

Mornin', everyone! :wave:

Trying an experiment today: we just bought a new car, and its entertainment system has a USB port. I've converted Toscanini's account of the Carmen suite to .mp3 and copied it to a thumb drive to see if the stereo really will play files as claimed. Haven't had a chance to do more than cursorily skim the manual, so I don't know which (if any) other formats it supports. Incidentally, it's by Bose, a name much vilified around these parts, but I must say that it really sounds very good for a car stereo. So keep your fingers crossed--I can't, because I'll be driving! ;)

17. John S

John S Forum Resident

I remember those days. When I was still a newspaper delivering kid I joined the Columbia Record Club, Jazz Division. I almost always agreed to a month's selection by not mailing in the card, even though I wasn't always too excited about their pick. As a result I discovered many very enjoyable LPs I wouldn't have ordered on my own. Memorable music by Buck Clayton, Lambert Hendricks and Ross, Ellington....

Sorry to get off topic.

18. coopmv

Really? This Böhm set is that special to you?

19. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

20. coopmv

Just played side 1 of the following LP. My turntable gave me some static since I have not played it in years as it auto-lifted a number of times before the side was done. It is a late model DUAL CS-750 made in the mid to late 90's just before the company went under. I bought it as a NOS around 2000. At any rate, it finally completed side 1. Perhaps this was simply due to the lack of playtime over all these years ...

L :love: London Phase 4 ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  21. coopmv

Now playing the following LP from my Chopin collection and my turntable is seeing some real action today ... :righton:

[​IMG]

bluemooze, EasterEverywhere and Mik like this.
  22. drh

drh Talking Machine

Not to veer into equipment, but stuck/sticky changer mechanisms are the Achilles heels of all the Dual automatic tables, at least in my experience. The grease on all those gears and trip mechanisms gets sticky or thick, and they stop moving freely. My first component stereo turntable was a much-used Dual 1218 that I picked up in college and then proceeded to work heavily myself; eventually, I moved on to something better, and when I pulled it out after it had sat in a succession of closets for years the 1218 proved to have the same problem: start to play, abruptly pick up arm, cycle, drop arm, start to play, abruptly pick up arm, cycle, drop arm, start to play, lather, rinse, repeat, lather, rinse, repeat....

The good news is that solving the problem usually is just a simple matter of cleaning out the old lubricant and applying new. My late father did that service for my 1218, and after that it worked like a charm. I got a big kick out of what he used for the purpose: surplus WW II .50 caliber machine gun lubricating oil.

Coming vaguely back on topic, the 1218 had a 78 speed, a big reason that I bought it, and a gimbal tone arm mount that failed me only once: the first side of Toscanini's celebrated account of the Beethoven 7th sym. with the PSONY runs very close to the center of the record, as it turns out requiring more swing than the 1218's gimbals were capable of giving me. Eventually, I bought a Dual 1009F, in every other way inferior to the 1218, just to play that one record side. :crazy:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  23. coopmv

I just completed playing both sides of the Chopin Preludes by Davidovich without a glitch. I certainly will not want to mess around with lubricant if I can avoid it ...

24. coopmv

Now playing the following LP set by my least favorite conductor. I have to give the LP lovers at CMC much credit as the ears for this old guy are still pretty sensitive to those pops and clicks. While I acknowledge the LP does sound warmer, CD sound is just so much cleaner ...

[​IMG]

Collector Man and bluemooze like this.
  25. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I realize jukes was kidding but IMO, the Bohm Pastoral is the best on record. I could get rid of any other version of that symphony on record and be satisfied.

Soulpope likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.