Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #60)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

So did Carnegie Hall.

2. George P

George P Way Down Now Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying more from this set. It's really starting to grow on me.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    Soulpope likes this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I think all concerts that are to be recorded live should provide cough drops to the audience on entry to the concert hall ... :edthumbs:

4. George P

George P Way Down Now Thread Starter

The problem with cough drops is that the noise of all those wrappers is more annoying to me than the coughing.

5. coopmv

I have the Shure V15 Type V (or Type IV, the last model made for that line) on the Thorens but my DUAL CS 750 has the Grado Prestige Gold. As you know, within the 33 RPM stereo world, there are a few different types of stylus, depending on the cartridge manufacturer ...

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The solution is obvious—no audience. I think Glenn Gould wrote numerous broadsides to that effect.

autodidact likes this.
  7. coopmv

In addition to 3 CD versions by Karajan/BPO, I also have the following 3 LP set ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD and Mik like this.
  8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I've only encountered two—functional ones and broken ones. A lot of very old styli are no longer useful as the cantilever mount has embrittled over time, even when the stylus was little used. I've been swapping out styli every year and have had few problems playing LPs that are in half-way decent condition. A record cleaning machine is necessary if you're hunting down old LPs, particularly with classical titles.

9. coopmv

I ran the following set by you a few years ago. Though you did not know anything about Perlemuter at the time, my instinct took over and added the set to my Chopin collection due to the generally positive comments I found on Amazon. He is no doubt one of the lesser-known pianists in the States ...

[​IMG]

10. coopmv

I have always bought all my records brand new and no doubt many of my records were purchased while I was in grad school in the mid to late 70's and many have been played only once. It is possible that some records may have some wears due to lower budget turntable/cartridge in the early days. Every other record played fine yesterday except this very old Telefunken LP. Not sure at this point if I want to modernize my turntable lineup. I am still quite sensitive to the clicks and pops in spite of some hearing loss but will certainly start to play my LP's more. I last played my LP's in a meaningful way probably some ten years ago and there are not many ten year periods we have in life ... :cry::sigh:

11. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I love the music in that clip. I'll be buying it the day it comes out

CMcGeek likes this.
  12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Most of my classical record collection, about 90% or so, is used. I have very few issues with clicks and pops, nothing that really affects the enjoyment of music, even in the most quiet parts.
    I think that quality of the turntable and tonearm+cartridge play a very important role in eliminating noise from vinyl.
    I am glad that you started playing your vinyl again, Stuart:righton:

Robin L and ToddBD like this.
  13. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I think I may have posted this commentary from Alfred Brendel once before:

The Coughers of Cologne
    have joined forces with the Cologne Clappers
    and established the Cough and Clap Society
    a non-profit-making organization
    whose aim it is
    to guarantee each concert-goer's right
    to cough and applaud
    Attempts by unfeeling artists or impresarios
    to question such privileges
    have led to a Coughers and Clappers initiative
    Members are required to applaud
    immediately after sublime codas
    and cough distinctly
    during expressive silences
    Distinct coughing is of paramount importance
    to stifle or muffle it
    forbidden on pain of expulsion
    Coughs of outstanding tenacity
    are awarded the Coughing Rhinemaiden
    a handsome if slightly baroque appendage
    to be worn dangling from the neck
    The C&C's recent merger
    with the New York Sneezers
    and the London Whistlers
    raises high hopes
    for Cologne's musical future

Mr Bass, alankin1, dale 88 and 3 others like this.
  14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Mahler: Symphony 7; Adagio from Symphony 10 - Bernard Haitink/Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra - 2 CDs, Philips (1992 recordings; released in 1995)

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Soulpope and Mik like this.
  15. drh

drh Talking Machine

Of course, I suppose it's possible the Telefunken could just be a bad pressing. I think that happens less with LPs than with 78s, but it's certainly not unheard of.

If you really want to pursue playing LPs but are put off by pops and ticks, you might consider one of the suppressors that were on the market once upon a time. I had--well, have, but they're in a closet now--a KLH TNE-1000 and a Phase Linear 1000 Autocorrelator (what was it with the number 1000?). Garrard and Burwen also sold similar units to the KLH, which I think actually was mfd. under a license from the latter. These were not purist audiophile devices by any stretch of the imagination, but I got good results with the KLH when applied with adjustments chosen under a strict "less is more" philosophy. In other words, the goal was a slight but noticeable improvement, not perfection. Too much, and the sound went to pot quickly. The Phase Linear never did work well for me as a transient noise reducer, but it was effective at removing steady state noise like 60 cycle hum.

The ne plus ultra of such analogue devices was the Packburn, the unit of choice for those who did professional restorations for commercial release. I knew a serious collector who had one but never could afford one myself. Very expensive, and frankly the Click Repair freeware for PCs blows every one of these things out of the water. But of course that requires copying a record to your PC for processing and then playing it back from hard drive, not quite the formula for an evening of random-walk casual listening. I don't know, but at a guess I'd be surprised if a KLH or Garrard unit would set you back much today, while I imagine the Packburn would still be rather dear.

In hopes of getting things back on topic, the Packburn was involved in probably most or all of the LP reissues of classical 78s in the years leading up to the introduction of CD. I used to lust after one, but then one day it hit me: the reason I so steadfastly collected originals was that LP reissues of 78s sounded so uniformly bad. Why would I want the device that was behind that dull, lifeless misrepresentation of what 78s can do? The early CD issues were not much better, but I still maintain that in more recent years the reissue engineers have learned how to get acceptable results. I still prefer my bulky old originals, but it's no longer the case that my own homely transfers put the commercial ones to shame. We've come a long way. (And, of course, so have I; I will never go back to splicing out side breaks in long works with a razor blade on tape--the computer has rendered that hard-won skill just about as relevant as deft wielding of a typewriter eraser.)

ToddBD and Robin L like this.
  16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I am finding out that set-up is crucial, particularly on Classical LPs with real dynamics.

It's a weird rabbit hole, pursuing "Golden Age" recordings and performances, many older than we are. I suppose those of us interested in recordings from the 78 era have already learned to tune out extraneous noises. I still find really good classical LPs at thrift stores, often free of clicks or pops. Played one yesterday, an early LP issue of Sibelius First Symphony, Ormandy, Philadelphia Orchestra. Columbia tended to get better sounding orchestra recordings in Phildelphia, maybe it's on account of Ormandy's Philadelphia Orchestra tending to make better sounds. In any case, powerful in performance and sound and as good an excuse to rev up the turntable as any:

[​IMG]

dale 88 and Mik like this.
  17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Well said, Robin, as always :wave:

Robin L likes this.
  18. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Disney hall still does

kevinsinnott likes this.
  19. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I got to attend the three concerts with Yuja Wang/ Gustavo Dudamel and the Simon Bolivar Orchestra that were recorded for their CD
    http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/us/cat/4791304

What happened in the audience in those concerts was beyond belief. How they managed to get anything useful is miraculous. On the last night I counted four BABIES in the audience. Three of them went off during the concert. People talking, texting, arguing, (yes, arguing) cell phones ringing, people talking on their cell phones etc etc. It was beyond belief. And yet they knew not to clap between movements. Go figure. The worst of the worst, the guy next to me on the last night was so into the performance that he was narrating it for the girl next to him. "Oh this part coming up, so amazing! Watch! There wow amazing." With his hands waving around with enthusiasm. I actually enjoyed his passion but really? Here is the kicker. I see the guy back stage afterward. He is introduced to Yuja as Venezuela's premiere pianist. How could he not know how to behave in a concert!?

20. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

It was a victim of the recession and budget cuts at the Kennedy Center.

21. coopmv

Back in the days, I once bought an SAE Impulse 5000, which was supposed to be a click and noise remover. Alas, it did not work for me, perhaps I got a defective unit. I returned the unit to the dealer and got a refund and never got near another one of these devices ...

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Beethoven: Piano Sonatas 8, Op.13; 13, Op.27/2; 27, Op.90; 26, Op.81a; Variations, WoO 80 - Ivan Moravec - Supraphon

[​IMG]

23. coopmv

In spite of the much cheaper CD prices over the past few years, one can still build a good-sized LP based classical music library at a much lower budget. While I see a number of my LP's being priced at some ridiculous level on Amazon, but who is buying? :whistle:

As for my own LP listening, I am not sure if I am ready to plunk down a few grands for one of the modern, high-end turntables ...

5-String likes this.
  24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Nope, they don't work, at least they don't work without eating into the music. Have used quite a few "Burwen" noise reduction devices. Like David says, Click repair is so much better, it isn't funny.

25. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

So, Rasputin's now has decent classical issues in the 95¢ bin. Got the infamous MAK rendition of Pachelbel's Canon, Muti/Philadelphia Orchestra in Beethoven's Ninth and the Slatkin/St. Louis Symphony Orchestra/Abbey Simon of Rachmaninov's Piano Concerti at 95¢ a disc, with Rachmaninov's original recording of concerti 1 & 4 with the Paganini Rhapsody on Naxos thrown in for free. Also splurged a whole $2.95 for Norrington/London Classical Players recording of Schubert's Ninth. This is another "Early Music" realization of early 'Romantic' music that works. Then again, Schubert's Ninth is generally inflated to a Brucknerian scale. Not too shocking, Bruckner learned a lot from this work. But Schubert's "Great C Major" symphony really needs to move along. and Norrington doesn't slow down for very much in this music. One of my favorite performances of this work, glad to find my third copy, so far.

Mr Bass, ToddBD and Soulpope like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.