Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #60)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Both were recorded in 1955 and the restoration was done by Mark Obert-Thorn.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have a Philips box by Grumiaux 55-78 with a somewhat different cover. I wonder how many of these boxes are out there? They are now all OOP ...

Mik likes this.
  3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Correct.

4. coopmv

The used twofer is available on Amazon US at some budget busting price ...

5. coopmv

I have followed and owned a good number of recordings by both Arthur Grumiaux and Henryk Szeryng for years and they were both outstanding masters on the violin. I am somewhat less familiar with Nathan Milstein but do have some of his recordings as well.

6. coopmv

Can't go wrong with MOT. :agree::righton:

George P likes this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

They need to reissue those Decca Grumiaux sets.

kevinsinnott and Mr Bass like this.
  8. coopmv

It is a shame. Classical music was on its downward slope when L'Oiseau-Lyre canceled the recording project for the complete Haydn Symphonies by the AAM/Hogwood in the early 90's. At any rate, I still enjoy the following incomplete set I bought late last year from Amazon UK ...

[​IMG]

9. coopmv

:agree:. The Philips set I have has 6 CD's, mostly baroque works. The set John has may have the same number of CD's but conceivably are works from the classical and romantic periods. Grumiaux was known as the violinist that could make the violin sing ...

George P likes this.
  10. coopmv

This is the box I have ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Mik like this.
  11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

That is my favourite HIP set of Haydn symphonies. It's a disgrace they couldn't finish the cycle.

zen and Mik like this.
  12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Milstein had a very unique style, his technique was so effortless that you forget how difficult a piece is and you just focus on the music.
    I would suggest to find and listen to his Bach Sonatas and Partitas, either his DG (early 70s), or his mono recording from the 50s on EMI.
    They are both exceptional.

bluemooze and Mr Bass like this.
  13. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

No baroque music at all in the set on Spotify.

There is plenty of other music by Grumiaux, although some of it is from dubious provenance.

14. john greenwood

For my upcoming class at Juilliard, my homework was to listen to the Eroica. That gave me the opportunity to play Abbado's performance from his mega-box. I was pleasantly surprised, especially with the final movement, which often does not work for me.

I then switched to his Mahler 5th, but turned it off after 30 seconds, finding it turgid.

15. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I don't like his Mahler either.

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Abbado seems to be much more appreciated in Europe than in the United States. I like many of his Mahler performances.

John S likes this.
  17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

His recording of the 'Resurrection' Symphony with the Chicago S.O. is one of the best versions and far from being 'turgid' it's one of the most clear-headed versions of that visionary work.

ToddBD, Rose River Bear and J.A.W. like this.
  18. john greenwood

I haven't listened to his "Resurrection" here, but I checked out the opening, and it was respectable. But the opening for the 5th was the slowest I've heard.

19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

The very first cd that I ever bought was with Abbado.

[​IMG]

I still consider this as the best recording of Alexander Nevsky suite.

alankin1, John S, Mik and 3 others like this.
  20. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I am with you on that. I like it the best of anything else I have.

5-String likes this.
  21. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Here's a thought....
    Unlike Furtwangler...Bohm -is definitely on record being seen of 'having raised his arm -publicly '. I do not think it was so, people could smell under his armpits whether he wore deoderant or 'stank' ; or did he? Even making such a brief passing mild comment , does not constitute in itself -'a political discussion'.From what may have influenced or come to develop aspects of some deceased figure's 'public artistry', is then so to speak , "out of bounds". Then what exactly are people here then discussing, at a result . At times, given such a strict political correct criteria to follow : perhaps be fuddy dddies and chatter .... about some captured and arranged generated sounds, recorded & kept for posterity, that appear by luck, to be a form of what others might allegedly - 'call a performance' ? I find it rather perculiar that it is therefore forbidden here to now ever allude to /or even hint at the basic aspects of what may have or made this or that dead performer, 'tick'. Is there also 'a similiar ban' in place regarding composers,?

I.E: If one perhaps wanted to discuss or conject on say, why Tchiakovsky at times, went hysterically over wought in parts of some of his compositions; though there is no firm written built structural support in some of his Scores - leading up to those points for him, to support it? And therefore ...dovetailing this whole discussion together, and to show where I am coming from, in light of what I have writtern : "I have always found the thought of Bohm 'with his (apparently -now!) unmentionable political and life history' : by he , conducting OR ever fully understanding Tchaikovsky's music ... is a matter for any serious listener , to query & question. Otherwise, we might as well put automated robots up on the conductors' podium to wave a stick about, in front of a pack of tone generators

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    geralmar likes this.
  22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Good thing I'm one of those frivolous listeners—more Säure Bummer than Gustav Schlabone if you catch my drift.

23. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Here's another thought. Many artists are discussed in this forum without reference to how their political leanings influenced their music. So we can also discuss Bohm's music without politics.

Thank you. :)

J.A.W. and Robin L like this.
  24. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Which version of the 5th? I think his last one with the Lucerne orchestra was better than the earlier one on DG, though neither ranks high in my collection of Mahler 5th's.

25. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Always love listening to Yo Yo Ma play…
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.