Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #63)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Bruckner: Symphony 5 - Bernard Haitink/Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra - Decca (Japan)

[​IMG]

ToddBD, bluemooze, Mik and 1 other person like this.
  2. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Just picked up this lp over the weekend during Acoustic Sounds sale. All analog 2/45s mastered by Grundman. Nice performance with terrific sound! Very live sound, it's like your at the recital.
    [​IMG]

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  3. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

This is from the Heifetz-Piatigorsky 21-CD box. I've considered getting the big Heifetz box now that it's been repressed, but I have to be careful with my spending right now...

4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Well, "superior" is in the ears of the beholder! ;) GC/CK's tempi are indeed faster than Podger's, but their rhythms are also more articulate, he plays with greater intensity, and with more interesting phrasing--to my ears. The sound is a bit crisper, too.

5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Yes, I imagine they have squeezed whatever is left to squeeze out of the master tapes! It is an improvement, for sure, but not enough to justify the inflated price. However, the performance is still one of my favorites. Can someone recommend a recording that features equally intense playing plus better sound?

6. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

I'm not sure if it's 'equally intense', but Maazel with the Wiener Philharmoniker on DG is pretty good, and has a much better sound

www.amazon.com/Strauss-Also-Sprach-Zarathustra-Sinfon/dp/B000025QD9/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1416936271&sr=8-9

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    Soulpope likes this.
  7. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Thanks--I'll look into it. Previn and the VPO seem promising on Telarc, too.

8. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Previn is very good, and also well recorded, though he is no Karajan... You should also consider Haitink and Sawallisch (with the Philadelphia O on EMI) - the latter being a little known gem, very impressive recording with a really deep and realistic bass (you can clearly hear (and feel) every single organ pedal). You can read the reviews-

www.amazon.com/Strauss-Zarathustra-Philadelphia-Orchestra-Sawallisch/dp/B000002RYF/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1416938018&sr=8-7

9. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

This must be one of the most well balanced and realistically recorded Dvorak 9th's that I ever heard, very beautiful late analog sound (1977)

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze, ToddBD and 1 other person like this.
  10. SquaRoots

SquaRoots The North Star Grassman

Returning to my DGG shelves once again.

I decided to pick some "modern" music on LP:

[​IMG]

no.nine, John S, Mik and 3 others like this.
  11. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Picked up this CD recently for $2. Enjoying it now.

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  12. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Is it only me, or many classical albums on Spotify are audio watermarked? Some albums sound really lousy, and I assumed it's just because of bad compression, but after I read on the web that it's a widespread practice with many (legal) digital files, I now suspect that Spotify does the same. Listen for example to the strings at the beginning -

https://play.spotify.com/track/1Kyr5hWHuQp5H3hwhivyyA

You can hear a very annoying 'flutter' that sounds like an artifact of a badly compressed mp3. I have only the free account, so I shouldn't be complaining, but I wonder if anyone of the paid subscribers here have the same problem?

13. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I can see why this is so highly regarded in the audiophile community. By the way, the music and performances are superb, too. ;)

[​IMG]

14. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have that disc. It was the second Dvorak 9th I purchased on CD. I got rid of first (by Levine and the CSO). I need to play the Davis again.

And speaking of Levine and Fafner, another episode of the Ring (on DVD) for me tonight.

Mik likes this.
  15. john greenwood

Listening to Savall conducting Rameau at the moment.

bluemooze likes this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Another recent $2 acquisition. Enjoying it now.

17. john greenwood

I can hear it on my premium account (through Sennheiser 650s), but my instinct is to attribute it to the recording. I don't have the disc, so I can't do a comparison. I did compare the opening of the Beethoven 9th from that set with my disc (the ripped redbook layer of the SACD). I didn't hear much variation in flutter, but the version on Spotify was decidedly deficient in bass. That could of course be the masterings used.

18. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Found these two for $1 each today…although not generally a fan of MTT, this recording and performance is quite good. The Vivaldi was recorded on October 10, 1981, Soundstream Digital Tape (no idea of any more technical specifics, I'm sure there are many on the forum who know that stuff), and Silverstein takes a few more liberties than I am used to, but the performance is solid and the sound is great.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

geralmar, Mik and bluemooze like this.
  19. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Listen to the beginning of the third mvt. of the 9th, it is clearly audible (you can already hear it in the hiss).

If you are not sure what audio watermarks sound like, see

http://mattmontag.com/audio-listening-test/

20. john greenwood

Can't really check as I don't listen directly through my computer. However, comparing the third movement Spotify vs (in this instance) my 88/24 conversion of the DSD layer after the SACD, the 88/24 is notably better. However, I still think it could be poor mastering of the disc in the big box.

Edit - tried it on my iPad. On the sample, I heard fluttering on both. None of the others would play at all.

21. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

But it's not the only album that sounds like that on Spotify, there are MANY. Another one for example is the recent Dudamel Mahler 9th-

https://play.spotify.com/track/5IYdcvrPshnQcOTiCj1GLT

(edit: this one actually sounds more like a recording glitch, it's also present on the CD)

22. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

'both' which?

23. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD43 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

24. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

It's definitely not the mastering - I checked the audio samples on DG's website (which are pretty high quality) from the same remaster, and you don't hear that fluttering like on Spotify (also compare for example the opening of the Mozart requiem)

http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/cat/4790055?

So it's either an audio watermark or compression artifacts, and I suspect it's the former because it sounds like the audio watermark samples you can find on the web.

25. john greenwood

On the one described as a sample. I hear fluttering on both A and B. The actual test tracks would not play on my iPad.

I do note that the the instructions in the sample are to listen to the point of highest volume, and the Dvorak and the Beethoven are soft passages, so I am not convinced the causes are the same.

Edit - I cranked up the volume on my iPad, and listening through Etymotic IE4P's I could hear a difference between A and B on the sample this time. Unfortunately none of the test tracks after the sample will play on the iPad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.