Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #63)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "Bach - Italian Concerto BWV 971/French Overture BWV 831/4 Duets BWV 801-805" performed by Jean Louis Steuerman on Philips.

[​IMG]

Mik likes this.
  2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

My memory could be playing tricks on me, but I thought I bought one of those in the 70's. 10 discs of harpsichord music - probably Cembalowerke I. Some of the quietest vinyl I ever owned.

Mik and ToddBD like this.
  3. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

On the turntable…I love listening to Maurice Andre play, what an artist. Another one of my $.99 purchases today. I had a cassette tape of this when I was in college, my grandparents got it for me for Christmas…and night after night I would listen to the entire thing as I lay in bed and visualize the music in my mind until I could mentally "read" it all as it sounded. What incredible training that was.
    [​IMG]

John S, Robin L, Mik and 2 others like this.
  4. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Yes, excellent pressings.

I've seen these in different color boxes (green I think) and don't know their release history. But some of the Cembalowerke boxes contain Trevor Pinnock/English Concert recordings, which were digital (and which is why I didn't buy those boxes because I already had the CDs.)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  5. john greenwood

My box was solo keyboard music. And I have to admit, I don't even remember the performer. I am pretty sure it was not Pinnock.

6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "Bach - Die Kunst Der Fuge" performed by the Orchestre De Chambre led by Jean-Francois Paillard on Erato.

[​IMG]

Mik and Bachtoven like this.
  7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:righton::agree:

8. coopmv

Mainly gawking
    I think I have a few of these boxes in my LP collection ...

bluemooze likes this.
  9. coopmv

The ultimate of the non-HIP performance ... :righton:

bluemooze likes this.
  10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

They're going to tango & it's going to be sexy.

George P likes this.
  11. Citroen

Citroen vinylholic

Kleiber Complete Orchestral Works DG vinyl Boxset
    [​IMG]

ToddBD, Mik, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  12. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I got this one too. Fantastic

13. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Yes. (I just can't stand the singing.)

I bought some years ago a Paul Thomas Anderson film (a dvd, actually), There Will Be Blood (2007). Knew some of his earlier works and thought they were pretty good modern film. The soundtrack of "Blood" hit me seriously and I wondered several times, who on earth had made so great music, music that, for example, seemed to reveal new dimensions from the sociopath protagonist. After the film I finally checked and was positively suprised.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  14. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

Here is some good news for us vinyl lovers.

In these last couple of months, Speakers Corner added five Columbia Stereo classical recordings to their catalogue. I really, really hope that they keep adding more and end up with as many as Decca have.

I would love to get a reissue of this recording:
    [​IMG]

15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Is that Prof. Irwin Corey in disguise? Maybe he had a backup career?

[​IMG]

16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I've had this recording in so many LP formats through the years—It was a Musical Heritage Society free offer to those first signing up to the record club. But the Erato original is best, still have a clean copy in that format:

[​IMG]

Mik, John S, ToddBD and 1 other person like this.
  17. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Die Meistersinger "Preludes" (?). Mr. Reiner commands the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. There's force, and power, and moderate pompousness needed to trigger the proper state of mind. :)

Just listened to Renée Fleming singing Strauss' Vier letzte Lieder...

[​IMG]

Nice. Not my favourite (I'd probably take Gundula Janowitz with Berlin Philh. & von Karajan) but then again, what do I know of the art of singing... I can listen to this just like to Soile Isokoski's versions with RSO Berlin with Marek Janowski. Neither is truly magnificent to me. However, Münchner Philharmoniker conducted by slightly pompous mr. Thielemann does actually quite a good job in the "background".

bluemooze likes this.
  18. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Excellent point. I know we are discussing taste, but sometimes I feel we are too nit-picky evaluating these mammoth undertakings of all these masterworks. I can't imagine it being easy to sing Strauss, play a Beethoven piano concerto, etc. since I've never done it before. :)

19. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Me too-my original had seen better days before I found it at Goodwill.

ToddBD and heman__ like this.
  20. coopmv

Is this a newly released DG vinyl box? UniversalMusic is cashing in big-time ...

21. coopmv

Renee Fleming has never done anything for me. There are at least a few North American sopranos I will listen to before I will go for Fleming. Arleen Auger, Sylvia McNair, Barbara Bonney, Lorraine Hunt, Karina Gauvin, etc. are a few that come to mind ...

Fafner88 likes this.
  22. drh

drh Talking Machine

I was excited for a moment there--until I realized it's the wrong Kleiber! ;)

For all those who celebrate Thanksgiving today, have a happy one! :wave:

bluemooze, ToddBD and Robin L like this.
  23. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

Very interested in getting this box. I don't have much Wagner in my collection...any thoughts on it?

[​IMG]

ps. Not relevant to above, but isn't it great to see DG putting out new works on vinyl again?

bluemooze likes this.
  24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Schumann: Abegg Variations, Op.1; Papillons, Op.2; Fantasia in C, Op.17; Nachtstücke, Op.23 - Claudio Arrau - Claudio Arrau Heritage: Schumann - 7 CDs, Philips; disc 1

[​IMG]

Arrau's rubati are indeed a bit too exaggerated for my taste.

bluemooze likes this.
  25. john greenwood

:agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.