Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #64)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Sure.

His D960 was for the ages that last concert in Athens.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Half the tracks on CD1 are works by Clemens non papa. I like that name ... LOL

bluemooze likes this.
  3. coopmv

Berman was the first Russian piano great I was attracted to on day one of my exploration of classical music ...

4. coopmv

Now playing CD2 - Chant from Salisbury & Tudor Polyphony from the following twofer from my early music collection ...

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Same for me. In fact, I think his 1978 recital was the first piano recital I ever attended!

6. coopmv

Just as Karajan who had recorded more Beethoven Symphonies cycles than any other conductors, Sir Colin Davis recorded Handel Messiah three times during his conducting career, a record that will be difficult to surpass. I also read a while back while Karajan was running the Salzburg Music Festival, he once considered Sir Colin to conduct Handel Messiah at the Festival. Unfortunately, that never happened or we would have quite an interesting Handel Messiah recorded in Salzburg, Austria.

Now playing SACD1 of the following twofer, the third and the last Handel Messiah recorded by Sir Colin for a second listen ...

[​IMG]

7. coopmv

He was much underrated in my opinion. Perhaps it was due to the fact that he did not make that many recordings with the major labels ...

8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Well, he had a pretty good run with Columbia and DG.

9. coopmv

I find Berman's recordings on DG to be quite limited in CD. While I do have a few LP recordings from the early days when I started in classical music, I am not about to start collecting his LP's now. Perhaps many of his original LP recordings have yet to be remastered?

I rarely bought any LP's pressed by American labels in the good old days. My entire LP ccllection is mostly European imports ...

10. coopmv

While the orchestral playing was quite polished, the female soloists were a different matter. Susan Gritton is no Emma Kirkby and I am not convinced if Sara Mingardo can necessarily match Carolyn Watkinson, which all leads to the Handel Messiah by Christopher Hogwood - the best Handel Messiah of all time IMO ...

11. drh

drh Talking Machine

Interesting--the cover looks just like what I remember of the design for series of Telemann harpsichord fantasias (3 separate LPs with coordinated covers) played by Helma Elsner on Dover (doubtless derived from Vox). My experience of Oryx records was that they were sold for a couple of bucks at our college bookstore or the bargain bins of local record stores, each sporting a huge, round gold sticker with cursive script proclaiming, "A quality recording imported from EUROPE." Rather in the way of those cheap Korean or Chinese pianos that are promoted as having European spruce this and German Renner that and Alaska hard rock maple the other. As I'm remembering things, European provenance or not, Oryx surfaces were nothing to write home about.

Robin L likes this.
  12. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Would not be surprised if either Beecham or Ormandy recorded Messiah more.

13. coopmv

I have the following Beecham recording, which is the R&R of Handel Messiah. Of the some two dozens of Handel Messiah Oratorios in my collection, it ranks pretty close to the dead last for me. I have a number of orchestral works by Beecham and they sounded reasonable to me.

[​IMG]

14. drh

drh Talking Machine

I have that recording autographed by Hogwood. If you'd like to see a picture, together with a few words about how that came to happen, see here: http://www.tnt-audio.com/topics/hogwood_e.html

John S and bluemooze like this.
  15. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This DG box set just came out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. coopmv

The only two CD's I do not have are Rachmaninov and Shostakovich. As i suspected, this is not exactly a box of 15-20's.

17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I just bought this 'sealed' on eBay; it seems to be new; definitely has no signs of being used. I have thousands of records and TTBOMK this is the only Oryx. The back cover seems like a reprint of an older album. There's a repeating tick on track 1 side 1 but after that it's OK, and the sound is fine. Had never heard these works before.

18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

19. coopmv

I also have the following 7-CD box on BC ...

[​IMG]

Mik, Soulpope and George P like this.
  20. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

So do I. I also have a few on small labels, and an LP box set on the Murray Hill label.

bluemooze likes this.
  21. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Not to turn this into a Berman thread, but here's a powerful performance of Scriabin's Op.8 No.12 Etude:

It has a few clinkers, but he plays with such power.

bluemooze likes this.
  22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Symphony No. 6 today.

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Thanks for this. I'm sorry, I missed this earlier. I haven't even had time to listen to it yet! hopefully tomorrow.

24. zmic

zmic Forum Resident

Now enjoying the wonderful sonata K380

[​IMG]

Mik, EasterEverywhere, ToddBD and 2 others like this.
  25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

There are no highlights John, the Ring is complete, 14 discs and the libretto, all for only 14.99! Who would have imagined a few years ago that one could buy the whole ring for such a low price.
    There has been no better time to be classical cd collector, there are some amazing deals out there!

Edit: Oops, I see what I did, I accidentally posted the wrong image of the Wagner's box......

john greenwood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.