Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #65)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I was only speaking of the Casals Bach Cello Suites. They were transferred by Marston. This is a very rare case where I prefer another transfer, the Opus Kura.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

bluemooze likes this.
  3. George P

Haven't heard that set, sorry.

4. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

A nice, snowy winter evening, therefore

[​IMG]

Not my cup of tea. Better get out into the wood like the guy in that cover!

bluemooze and Fafner88 like this.
  5. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

You don't like Gura? I just love his Schwanengesang and his other Schubert CD with the blue cover.

Soulpope likes this.
  6. drh

drh Talking Machine

...and, beyond the hill, fire at the mill! :eek:

7. drh

drh Talking Machine

I hope you'll forgive me the conceit of quoting my own post, but I'm killing time out on the road again, and I got to musing on how the record market has changed. Yes, we do have it easy today, at least relatively speaking, but I wonder if in the process we've lost something, too? Does the rediscovery and recording of Heinrich Meingott's long-forgotten cantata The Diacritical Marks, composed for and last heard at the Great Assembly of the Worshipful Company of Type-Setters in 1723 at the Corn Exchange in Derbyshire, carry the same kind of anticipation and excitement our forebears felt as they waited (and saved!) for each release of the Schnabel Beethoven sonata sets, in some cases marking the first appearance of these works on disk? I remember one big-name critic of the day, maybe Irving Kolodin, writing that he skipped lunch for months to save up enough to buy those sets as they came out. Hard to imagine now, but back then large swaths of what we consider standard catalogue items were simply not on record at all, and collectors felt a compelling urge to see those gaps filled.

Robin L likes this.
  8. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Famous Trumpet Concerti (Naxos)
    Benedetto Marcello – Sonata Op.2/11 for Trumpet, Strings and Harpsichord
    Giusseppe Torelli – Sonata a cinque No.1
    Georg Philipp Telemann – Concerto in D for Trumpet, Strings and Harpsichord
    George Frideric Handel – Concerto in D minor for Trumpet and Orchestra (reconstructed by Jean Thilde)
    Leopold Mozart – Concerto in D for Trumpet, Strings and Harpsichord
    Joseph Haydn – Concerto for Trumpet in E flat Hob.VIIe:1
    Miroslav Kejmar, trumpet — Capella Istropolitana — Peter Skvor

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  9. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

These performances may not dethrone Rostropovich's, but they are very powerful and well recorded.

[​IMG]

10. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I received these two new SACDs yesterday--both are excellent: well played and have superb sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mik, jukes, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  11. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

I strongly recommend getting Pettersson's 8th symphony (if you don't have it already). I didn't hear all of his symphonies, but I think it's his best symphony among those that I'm familiar with (including the 6th and 7th). Look for Segerstam's recording, also on BIS.

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  12. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

^^ I have just about every Pettersson disc that's available! (And a few LPs.)

13. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

LOL, that's cool... Which pieces of his you like the best?

14. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The 2nd Violin Concerto (original version--recorded by Ida Haendel), 7th-10th Symphonies, and the String Concertos.

15. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Another wonderful new SACD--such an interesting coupling. Sudbin plays the daylights out of both concertos, and supplies his own interesting booklet notes. Since it's a BIS recording, you know it sounds great!

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  16. Don Jo

Don Jo Forum Resident

It's a very cold Saturday winter afternoon (-10°C with a wind chill of -19°C), so we're staying home and dining-in instead. Fancied listening to Alfred Brendel's 2-CD set of the The Complete Schubert Impromptus and Moments Musicaux to go with a hot cup of dark roast Colombian.

[​IMG]

17. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Thanks, I'll check out the violin concerto.

18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Going through the shaded dogs slowly, finding the bulk of them presenting a muted treble I don't recall from previous auditioning. Mind you, the Frankenstereo has a lot going on on top.

[​IMG]

Playing the Stereo Treasury Øivin Fjeldstad/LSO Peer Gynt after the Living Stereo Feidler/Boston Pops was like switching on the floodlights, really bright. And that's an early Stereo Treasury pressing. I'm half-way through the Reiner/CSO Schubert Symphonies 5/8 Living Stereo pressing from 1961, still a shaded dog for a label. More detailed up top than others from this batch I've auditioned but still muted. Playing is nice, perhaps the sound is thicker and bulkier than we've become accustomed to from more recent performances.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Be sure to get this one--he wrote it Ida, and this is the original version. The revision simplifies the solo part (it's brutally difficult) and thins out the textures.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  20. coopmv

Now playing CD11 - 24, 28 & 29 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze, ToddBD and 2 others like this.
  21. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Edit: He wrote it FOR Ida. Man, I hate this 30 minute window in which to correct typos!

john greenwood likes this.
  22. coopmv

Now playing CD4 - Mozart Overtures - from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mr. H, Fafner88, Mik and 1 other person like this.
  23. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

He does rather well with the complete operas.

24. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I was sampling that set on Spotify earlier this week.

25. George P

[​IMG]

Giving Kovacevich another try. Op. 33, 119 and 126

Mik, bluemooze and Robin L like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.