Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #65)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Thanks. So if they're both here, who's making music in St. Pete? (BTW - the Mariinsky is presenting opera as well.)

2. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Talking 'bout the obsessions... I have the LP box, but at the Newton Classics rock-bottom prices I just had to buy this...

[​IMG]

An interesting "evenfall" for the coming winter evenings: will digitigi versions be acceptable when listening to them right after the LP?

bluemooze, Fafner88 and Mik like this.
  3. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Yes, opera too. The houses do, I've understood.

There might be some... http://www.spbmusicguide.info/orchestras.html

The city is great also in winter, especially in midwinter. You have a chance, go to see it. But get your concert tickets first. On few Nevski back streets (don't ask, can't remember anymore) there are couple of cozy cafes. There one can enjoy almost "Chekhovian blasé" (if that makes any sense). Places for intimate winter days...

4. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

It is "St Petersburg State Symphony Orchestra" in program description. I'm not sure the connection between the legendary St. Petersburg Philharmonic(Leningrad). The program includes Bernstein, "Overture to Candide", Rachmaninoff, "Piano Concerto 3..." and Rimsky-Korsakov, "Scheherazade". Andrei Gavrilov is soloist. Should be terrific.

5. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

I'm just wondering how many female singers have recorded die Winterreise. I've heard/read about few, but sure there are more.

6. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

State symphony is differrent.

7. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Ludwig van Beethoven – No.6 Op.68 "Pastoral"
    — Columbia Symphony Orchestra — Bruno Walter (Sony Classical)

[​IMG]

Mr. H, Robin L, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  8. john greenwood

Spent a couple days there in August 1997 on a guided tour with my parents. I'd like to get back.

jukes likes this.
  9. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

We're Face Book friends. True, he doesn't record much, but he still plays concerts on a regular basis.

10. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Castiglione - Il Libro Del Cortegiano" performed by Doulce Memoire on Naive.

[​IMG]

ToddBD likes this.
  11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Have the original issue LPs, Mono and Stereo. One of my favorite versions of the Pastorale.

john greenwood likes this.
  12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have the big Walter set with the CD pictured above. One of the better "big boxes".

alankin1, john greenwood and Robin L like this.
  13. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

More Goodwill purchases in the listening rotation tonight…on the turntable right now is Brahms and Strauss Lieder, Irmgard Seefried, Deutsche Grammophon Tulip pressing (Decca). It sounds divine…both her singing and the vinyl :righton: Her phrasing is fantastic, and she has a truly velvety voice.

Coming up afterwards, this LP…red label mono Angel. The only other recording I have by Schippers is of Barber's Overture to the School for Scandal, in concert with the Chicago Symphony in 1966, included as part of a "Guests in the House" box CD set. Other than that, I have not heard any of his recordings, so I will be excited to report back with some news on this.
    [​IMG]

Mik, EasterEverywhere and bluemooze like this.
  14. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Was this same recording available in SACD format as well?

15. john greenwood

The 5th and the 6th were. I have the 5th backed with Schubert's Unfinished. I probably should have picked up the 6th as well.

16. coopmv

But the SACD is now OOP ...

17. coopmv

Now playing CD6 - WTC 1 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  18. john greenwood

Yes. These were among the first SACDs issued by Sony. They were single layer stereo.

Maybe Sony Japan reissued one or both.

19. drh

drh Talking Machine

Is that the piano sextet with Panhoffer and members of the Vienna Octet? That's been a favorite of mine (on STS LP) for a long, long time. All written when the guy was just a boy. That was one scary kid!

20. drh

drh Talking Machine

Well, after my misstep with the HMV Japan order, I tried again with Amazon Japan, and...today I received my set of the Beethoven Syms. under Georgescu! :goodie:

bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  21. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Not unlike Richter.

22. coopmv

But Richter still ended up with all those recordings ... :winkgrin:

23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Used to own, not really an improvement if you ask me, just another wonky 2 channel digital transfer.

24. drh

drh Talking Machine

To continue about the Georgescu set: I just finished perusing the program notes. These transfers are done right, taken from the original master tapes, and Georgescu seats the orchestra in the old way, first violins on the left and seconds on the right, something unusual for stereo recordings. Electrecord recordings reissued by a Japanese label called Tobu. The proof, of course, is in the listening; I'll report back on that in due course.

25. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Tonight another conductor for Bizet:

Jean Martinon
    Orchestre National de l’ORTF
    Bizet
    La Jolie Fille de Perth (Suite)
    from the 2014 collection:
    Jean Martinon: The Deutsche Grammophon Legacy
    The Complete Deutsche Grammophon Recordings 1960–1971
    4 discs

[​IMG]