Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #68)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

3rd album of 50...CBS Masterworks sounds excellent (I'm a novice at classical, learning as I go)

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze, ToddBD and 2 others like this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Almost like how the LP boxes were originally packaged back in the days ...

3. drh

drh Talking Machine

Hello, everybody... :wave:

Just breezing through as real life keeps me hopping even more than usual; wanted to offer a comment about a bit of discussion that caught my eye as I skimmed the last several pages of the thread's immediately prior iteration. It was opined that nobody knows how "dramatic" performances were in the baroque era but that at least certain modern HIP groups go too far. Well, my thought is this: I'd much rather have an inauthentically exciting performance than an authentically dull one. After all, we don't hear music with baroque/classical/whatever era ears. For instance, I'm sure all the "wrong" harmonies in Mozart's "Musical Joke" were much more amusing, or even shocking, to his audience than they are to one acclimated to The Rite of Spring and beyond. Thus, while remaining sensitive to what scholarship teaches about performance practice when the composer was alive, HIPsters must adapt it to modern experience if they are to make old music more than a museum piece. (And, yes, those who detect echoes of some writings by Richard Taruskin are not mistaken ;) ).

Odradek, Robin L and jukes like this.
  4. drh

drh Talking Machine

There was also a question about ordering from Japanese Amazon resellers, I think. I've placed a few orders for CDs and even purchased my phono preamp from sellers in Japan, and I've never had problems with import duty or the like. I did have a delivery problem once because of a mistake of my own coupled with the stupid way our local post office handles "sign for" packages, but that certainly wasn't the seller's fault.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Words of the Angel" performed by Trio Mediaeval on ECM.

Mostly 14th century works. Lovely female vocal trio.

[​IMG]

john greenwood and Mik like this.
  6. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I was especially thinking of the opus 57 with Victor Aller on piano. Capitol P-8171 from 1952.Original LP has a dark blue cover,with three pictures of a woman in a head scarf.The HSQ's records are among my all time favorite chamber music records.The Villa-Lobos,the Walton...

7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Sumer Is Icumen In - Chants Medievaux Anglais" performed by The Hilliard Ensemble on Harmonia Mundi France.

I always skip the title track - too earwormy. :)

[​IMG]

john greenwood, Mik and Robin L like this.
  8. coopmv

:edthumbs:

9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I have a couple of the LPs & a few of the Testament CDs. I suppose it is useless to expect Warner Music to ever issue a complete CD box set, even if they did back Sinatra on a classic album.

10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Issued 1985. Recorded at Vanguard Studios, NYC. Engineers: Tom Lazarus, Andrew Kazdin & Ray Moore. Producer: Andrew Kazdin.

11. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

About what I paid for my vinyl copy.

vanhooserd likes this.
  12. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

True. We can't even imagine, how 19th century people experienced time/'duree': trains and planes and automobiles are not the only traits of modernization that have fundamentally changed the categorical structures of experience and observation (etc.) of humankind. A partiture is always something that has to be interpreted.

13. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Thank you for the info. I just wasn't aware of that bunch.

14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

If Biber's Sonata violino solo representativa doesn't come off as shocking somewhere along the line, it's not being given its due at all:

john greenwood, Mik and bluemooze like this.
  15. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Slightly more than what I paid (per disc for the mega box:)).

vanhooserd likes this.
  16. john greenwood

[​IMG]
    Another disc I haven't pulled out in years.

arley and bluemooze like this.
  17. john greenwood

Good thinking. Biber next.

Edit - of course when I typed Biber into the Spotify search engine, I got, "Do you mean Justin Bieber?" Uh, no.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    Robin L, bluemooze and George P like this.
  18. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

OK I know this should be in a different thread but it's more likely to of value to the people who read this thread. I just stumbled across this offer on amazon.co.uk's marketplace:

Sir Colin Davis Anthology (Limited Edition 8 SACD, 4CD, 1DVD plus commemorative book and postcards)

[​IMG]

amazon.co.uk price £49.64, marketplace seller harmonia mundi price £19.99 plus £1.26 postage in the UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00IJBYUJ4/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

19. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Johannes Brahms – Piano Quintet in F minor Op.34, Piano Quartet No.2 in A Major Op.26
    Rudolf Serkin, piano — Busch Quartet (EMI Classics / References), recorded 1938/1932

[​IMG]

20. john greenwood

Here was my first recording of the quintet.
    [​IMG]

EasterEverywhere and bluemooze like this.
  21. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Rudolf Serkin had such a great smile!

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  22. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I just listened to those (I assume) the same recordings the other day on this SACD. I did not know your CD existed. I need to seek it out for the Satie.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  23. coopmv

:righton:

24. coopmv

Now playing CD23 - Vivaldi Four Seasons by Tafelmusik and Jeanne Lamon from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  25. john greenwood

I'm pretty sure my only recording of Sumer is Icumen in is on Richard Thompson's 1000 Years of Popular Music. That same album also contains my only recording of Oops, I Did it Again.

Robin L and bluemooze like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.