Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #68)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD5, the last CD - Mozart Piano Concertos Nos 20 & 25 by Orchestra Mozart from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]
    It is the same recording as the one shown below. 40+ plus years made a huge difference to these two artists ... :sigh:

[​IMG]

2. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Philippe Le Chancelier - School of Notre Dame" performed by Sequentia from the "Sequentia Edition" box set on DHM.

I ordered this 3/29 from an Amazon marketplace vendor (UK) and it arrived yesterday.

[​IMG]

Mik, jimdavies111 and ToddBD like this.
  3. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

You can still do it.

ToddBD likes this.
  4. coopmv

So there is a cadenza by Fred Gulda at the end of the first movement and Gulda was the piano teacher to both Martha and Claudio ... :righton:

5. coopmv

Still waiting for my box to arrive from the UK etailer ...

6. coopmv

While I have picked up a few used CD's over the years mainly because the recordings were OOP, I really do not have space for more LP's and will just hang on to 4000 some classical LP's.

7. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Also got these yesterday for the same princely sum of ten cents each…the two Shaded Dog Living Stereo LPs and the Monteux mono (which is a pre-purple dog label and sounds as good as my mono Shaded Dog LP) are Canadian pressings. Can't wait to clean and listen to this Florent Schmitt piece, though the jacket is beat to crap the LP looks NM - M.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  8. coopmv

Looks like you live in the right place. I can never find such bargains in my area ... LOL

ToddBD likes this.
  9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Liszt: Piano Sonata, S178 - Claudio Arrau - Claudio Arrau - Liszt Solo Recordings - 5 CDs, Decca; part of disc 4

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  10. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I did a FLAC download from theclassicshop.net and it sounds great.

11. coopmv

The CD's in this box must be the original recordings Arrau made with Philips ...

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes, these are Philips recordings, made between 1969 and 1976.

George P likes this.
  13. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Well, it only seems that way…the last seven months there hasn't been anything there that's been worth spending a dime on :D Yesterday's finds were truly divine providence…should have headed to the gas station and played the lottery LOL

14. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Dear classicists,
    I was really thinking about you all when I was visiting today the Mega Record and CD Fair in Utrecht, Holland. There was a seller with a huge pile of only (mostly older) mint classical music cds from ... Philips, Decca and Harmonia Mundi labels. All cds just... 3 euro each. The seller told me he bought his collection (for a big part) from a late collector.

I was really missing your knowledge what to get, so I purchased only the 'Gamba Sonates' of Bach performed by Jaap ter Linden and Richard Egarr (Harmonia Mundi label) while I'm right now in a HUGE viola da gamba kick, as some people here will know.

Elsewhere at the fair I purchased also many indie and post-punk albums, still I chose the Gamba Sonates as the first cd to play at home. Right now listening and enjoying myself!!:righton:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    Mik, bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  15. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my JS Bach collection for a second listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and Soulpope like this.
  16. coopmv

As someone who has been there and done the same, though at mainly brick and mortar stores, I strongly advise you bring a printed list of what you already have and your wish list. I remember I was still doing that when my classical music collection had only some 400 CD's back in the early 90's. Looking back, I bought almost 6000 CD's through online etailers. B&M stores in the US are pretty dead ...

17. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

That's what I did for rock and pop albums, but I didn't expect to be surprised today by that (French) seller. The Mega Record and CD Fair in Holland is twice a year, but the Dutch and international traders are often differing each fair.

Next year I will make indeed a list for also rare OOP classical albums, but I'm afraid next time that particular seller, is just the one who will be missing :)

18. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Tomorrow is Easter Sunday for Orthodox church. I am playin Haydn's Seven Last Words in the orchestral version recording of Savall filmed at the church where the work was first performed (DVD, 2006):

[​IMG]

19. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

---------------------------------
    I tried to find their site and it appears to be down.

20. coopmv

It is far easier to remember a particular titles you have for rocks and pops since they are copyrighted. With classical music, there are so many versions of the same works by all different ensembles. I for one do not have the photographic memory to remember exactly what I already have in my collection, though the number of duplicates I have are somewhat limited given the size of my collection, just under 6500 CD's ...

21. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

It's a slow site and it does go down a lot

22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Amazon Prime delivered in two days [as promised] a set of recordings I've intended to re-introduce to the collection decades ago, the Claudio Arrau set of the complete Beethoven Sonatas, plus extras. I first bought the set around 1973/74, reintroduced to the American market on Philips Holland pressings for $39. This time around, a little under $37. On top of that, there' the 1950s DGG recording of the Diabelli Variations thrown in for good measure. Now playing the disc with the Sonatas #'s 13, 14, and 15. Great to be re-acquainted.

[​IMG]

Mik, George P, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  23. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Received this compilation today and started with Penderecki's "La Folia" for solo violin. Lordy, sounds cruelly difficult, but Mutter plays it with enormous aplomb and intensity.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Arrau recorded the Diabelli Variations for Decca in 1952, not DGG. As far as I know he never recorded for DG(G). A great set. I got it especially for the Diabellis, as they are missing from the earlier Arrau Beethoven Piano Sonatas CD box.

25. coopmv

Now playing CD22 - Symphonies Nos 50 & 54 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and J.A.W. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.