Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #68)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have the Twelve Suites for Harpsichord on BIS, performed by Joseph Payne. Johan Helmich Roman was known as the Swedish Handel. He was an instrumentalist on Handel's orchestra in England. I think I have most if not all of his recorded works ...

2. coopmv

Roman: 12 Suites for Harpsichord

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  3. coopmv

Doing some late night listening to the following CD in my JH Roman collection ...

[​IMG]

I picked up the above CD and a few others of Roman works at the Tower Records in Greenwich Village back in the early 90's ...

bluemooze likes this.
  4. coopmv

BTW, JH Roman also composed the Swedish Mass, which is an interesting work. I have two different verions, one on LP and the other on CD ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Hildegard Von Bingen - Celestial Hierarchy" performed by Sequentia on DHM.

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Mik, John S and 2 others like this.
  6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

If I had unlimited funds/time I think my classical music collection would most resemble yours. :)

7. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

The above quote relates to the Mercury Living Presence Volume 3 box on amazon.it. Good news if you have pre-ordered it from amazon.it as it has now fallen below 90 euros; at the moment it is 88.41 euros.

http://www.amazon.it/Mercury-Living-Presence-Various-Artists/dp/B00RUKV7OG

8. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Sampled this on Spotify, but it didn't really take. However, I enjoyed his violin concertos, despite Spotify this morning being somewhat . . . Spotty.

9. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

John, or anyone else, have you tried Classics Online HD? It is a service run by Naxos that offers HiRes streaming and downloads for $15/month.
    Since I do most of my spotify listening during commute, or when I do chores or errands, HiRes streaming is not important for me. My stereo also cannot stream these files so I guess I am not exactly their target clientele. But still I am kind of curious to know how they fare in comparison to spotify for instance.

So I was wondering If anyone here took the plunge and gave them a try, since I think that they have a 28 days trial.

10. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Almost all of my Spotify listening is done through Squeezebox. So, unless Classics Online HD has a Squeezebox plugin, it's not a viable option for me. I am told that Squeezebox can be made to work with Tidal (which is CD quality), but I've read mixed reports on Tidal, so I haven't taken the plunge.

To be honest, I still do almost all of my critical listening from my own library. Spotify for me is simply a vastly improved radio.

Let me add that at 320 kbps my premium Spotify usually sounds pretty good. Certainly good enough to appreciate the music. I suspect that a good mastering at 320 kbps will often be preferable to a bad lossless mastering.

11. John S

John S Forum Resident

Since today would have been Sviatoslav Richter's 100th birthday, I'm starting my day with Schubert.

[​IMG]

Some will call Richter's tempo on the first movement of the incredibly lovely D894 'glacial', but since I don't have a strong imprint by another pianist, I hear the movement as profoundly magisterial. Which makes Richter's tempo choice perfectly appropriate. I especially enjoy Richter's touch in what I call the "music box" section about 5 minutes into the first movement.

This two-disc set also includes D575 and D840.

Yelnick McWawa, Mik, Soulpope and 2 others like this.
  12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Sibelius: Symphonies 6, Op.104; 7, Op.105; Tapiola, Op.112 - Osmo Vänskä/Lahti Symphony Orchestra - Sibelius: The Complete Symphonies - 4 CDs, BIS; disc 4

[​IMG]

Mik, Soulpope, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  13. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Talking about the holy Hildegard... This evening the second effort to watch the film in one session.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  14. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

A must have 2CD set!

15. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I agree, I am using Beyerdynamic dt880 headphones and my iphone and the 320 kbps stream from Spotify sounds nice.
    Also, we live in amazing times.
    You guys remember when one had to rely on written reviews or friend's recommendations to make a purchase, while now, we can stream almost everything.
    Old and new releases from any music genre are available at our fingertips to try before you buy. Incredible!

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Unless you already have Richter's Complete Decca, Philips and DG Recordings set :)

17. George P

No, for a recording this monumental, at least one backup is needed! :D

18. George P

http://www.theguardian.com/music/to...8/10-of-the-best-essential-richter-recordings

(They chose some great recordings, including the aforementioned D894. But they mistakenly overlooked his solo Rachmaninoff and solo Debussy.)

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Shostakovich: Preludes and Fugues 1-12, Op.87/1-12 - Vladimir Ashkenazy - Shostakovich: 24 Preludes and Fugues, Op.87 - 2 CDs, Decca; disc 1

[​IMG]

20. George P

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0552stf

At 1:23:40 a program begins, where you can sample some of the Richter Complete Album Collection (pictured below) and hear some commentary on the performances.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  21. coopmv

The following box, which is in my early music collection, should include the above recording ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The handful of SACDs that Mark Levinson/Red Rose Music produced are getting rare and expensive! I just picked this one up for $40--bad enough but not ridiculous. For that money, one gets 72 minutes of glorious music, wonderfully played and recorded. Red Rose uses the original 30 i.p.s. analog master tapes and transfers them straight to DSD. The organ has tremendous presence and satisfying bass. The cathedral seems to have a fairly short reverb time unless the engineers used cardiod mic patterns that rejected some of the acoustic space. Highly recommended if you like Bach's organ music.

[​IMG]

(They all feature a similar utilitarian cover!)

bluemooze likes this.
  23. coopmv

I presume over the internet?

24. coopmv

Thanks for sharing. I did not know Mark Levinson/Red Rose have produced some recordings. I did see some Red Rose amplifier for sale on Amazon a few years ago - perhaps just to clear out the remaining inventory ...

25. coopmv

A memorial concert should have been planned for this occasion, much the same as the centennial birthday concert that was planned for Karajan or was it for the 25th anniversary of his passing ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.