Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #70)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

More over-priced ($65 for the 2 LPs--a Speaker Corner remaster)) but beautifully played and recorded vinyl. I think I want to upgrade my turntable rig now!

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and J.A.W. like this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD5 - Symphony No. 9 with a French accent from the following box for a second or third listen ...

[​IMG]

IIRC, the movie "Clockwork Orange" used the second movement from this recording as part of its sound tracks.

I also have the original release on the Seraphim label as shown below

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    Mik, vanhooserd and bluemooze like this.
  3. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

I am watching the Vienna's Phil's 2015 Summer Night Concert. Just watched the Grieg PC, which was nice, although I think the outdoor venue sent the sound a bit haywire. The piano sounds a little off in places. I don't think it's the instrument or the pianist though! I've never heard of Buchbinder and wonder what our resident pianophile (George) thinks of him...? The venue for this concert is the gardens of Schönbrunn Palace in Vienna, which is simply astounding in its beauty and grandeur.

bluemooze likes this.
  4. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

This week I listened to Debussy's solo piano works by Martimo Tirimo. Really top flight Debussy. All of it is very good, but the etudes are the best I've heard. Really the first version of the etudes I've really enjoyed. Decent priced too since it's on Alto.

[​IMG]

ToddBD, bluemooze and dale 88 like this.
  5. coopmv

Now playing CD5 - Liszt Piano Concerto No. 2, Piano Soanta in B minor and Rhapsodie espagnole from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:edthumbs:

7. coopmv

Now playing CD2 - Chabrier and Ravel from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  8. John S

John S Forum Resident

[​IMG]

john greenwood, geralmar, Mik and 5 others like this.
  9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

:laugh: :agree: :righton:

drh and George P like this.
  10. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Up on the CD spinner this morning: CD 8 from the DG piano box set- Lazar Berman, playing Rachmaninoff's "Corelli-Variationen". Talk about a desert island disc-this is one of those. If there was a category entitled "Desert Island Box Set" -ditto.

Mik, bluemooze and George P like this.
  11. drh

drh Talking Machine

:laugh: That guy should try operatic cylinders!

Mik, John S, Robin L and 2 others like this.
  12. coopmv

First listen of the day, now playing the following CD from my early music collection for a third listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  13. coopmv

A great Woody Allenesque cartoon ... :righton::winkgrin:

John S likes this.
  14. drh

drh Talking Machine

For me, it's been the shellac spinner, wending my way through one of my generic 78 RPM storage albums that happened to be off the shelf. Started with Ernestine Schumann-Heink in "I have lost my fair Euridice" from Gluck's Orfeo (1907, in German) and then on to the letter duet from Madama Butterfly as rendered by Geraldine Farrar and Antonio Scotti in 1908. Their remake from a year later awaits. Others that I've (re)visited in the past couple of days include Emilio de Gogorza singing Horatio Parker's delightful song "The Lark Now Leaves His Watery Nest" (which Victor, for some unaccountable reason, coupled on the same side with the dreadful "Mother o' Mine" by Alan Tours), Maria Barrientos and Riccardo Stracciari in "Dunque io son" from Rossini's Barber of Seville (the token Columbia in this album), Titta Ruffo in the "Largo al factotum" from same (his earlier lateral recording, from the second half of the last century's "aughts," Victor from Gramophone & Typewriter masters; I have the later one in a German Electrola pressing and an even earlier one on Pathe), and de Gogorza again in the drinking song from Thomas's Hamlet. Speeds, as shown on the Strathclyde's display, have been all over the map: 72, 74, 75, 78.

Quick: name an opera star from Armenia! OK, how about baritone Torcom Bezazian, who made quite a name for himself on the international operatic stage back in the first couple of decades of the 20th c. (His wife was Edna White, a celebrated lady trumpeter.) In puzzling out what speed to set for the de Gogorza Hamlet record, I put Bezazian's Edison diamond disc of the same selection, which reliably runs at 80 RPM (Edison was hyper about standards), on one of my Edision machines and gave it a whirl. Interesting contrast. de Gogorza, who could "sell" any song on earth, gives the aria a natural, freely singing account--but he sounds positively straight laced by comparison with Bezazian, whose tempo freedom is so pronounced it even confounds the studio orchestra, presumably a group of players accustomed to the more liberal standards that prevailed in those days. It's little incidents like this that are why I love all those noisy, fragile, fussy old antiques that have been my fixation for a good 40 years now.

ToddBD, Mik, John S and 3 others like this.
  15. coopmv

More early music, now playing the following CD ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Mik and bluemooze like this.
  16. coopmv

Now playing CD3 - Mozart Symphonies 40 & 41 and Tchaikovsky Romeo and Juliet from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:righton:

18. coopmv

Next to be on the turntable platter is the following LP from my Tchaikovsky collection ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Mik, bluemooze and 1 other person like this.
  19. coopmv

Now on the turntable platter the LP from my Smetana collection ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Daedalus, Mik and 1 other person like this.
  20. coopmv

More inconvenient format, now playing the following LP from my Sibelius collection ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Mik, John S and 2 others like this.
  21. coopmv

These tone poems are actually surprisingly nice sounding. They are Richard III, Wallenstein's Camp, Hakon Jarl and Carnival in Prague. Of course, I do not know any of these works even though I bought the LP some thirty years ago ... LOL

22. coopmv

This is a quadraphonic recording but my Pioneer quad receiver is in storage ... :D

23. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The three Beethoven Sonatas. Decent to good sound--fabulous playing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Daedalus and bluemooze like this.
  24. coopmv

Now playing the following LP from my Bach collection ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Mik and bluemooze like this.
  25. coopmv

Now playing CD19 - Schubert Symphony No. 9 by the Staatskapelle Dresden from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.