Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #9)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

This looks most interesting altho it's on a odd Cd Label!
    Anyone familiar with it or ancient music like this?

Link to it and samples
    http://payplay.fm/evgeni73

[​IMG]

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Glad the CD arrived OK. :wave:

I listened to my copy last Saturday as I walked around the beautiful and quiet Princeton campus. I find this is great way to listen to piano music, out in nature, provided there is little ambient noise.

3. George P

It's his tempo that I like.

4. George P

Now Playing:

[​IMG]

Mahler
    Symphony 4
    Sinopoli
    Philharmonia Orchestra

5. Graphyfotoz

Nature has it's own Symphony more and more of the Band members are showing up here daily! We like it!! :righton: :D

6. Now playing...

Boston Symphony Chamber Players (with Michael Tilson Thomas - piano) - Claude Debussy - Sonata for violin and piano, Syrinx flute solo (and more)
    Deutsche Grammophon - W Germany - 1970

[​IMG]

A 320 pressing.

LP purchased new in around 1975. Probably the first classical LP I ever bought.

Was this ever released on CD, possibly with bonus material?

7. I also have...

Athena Ensemble - Claude Debussy: Chamber Music
    Chandos - U.K. - 1985

[​IMG]

The CD contains several of the selections found on the above LP. I like them both.

8. I picked this one up in Australia, I think it's the same recording on CD.

1. Prelude A L'apre-Midi D'un Faune 2. Violin Sonata 3. Cello Sonata 4. Sonata For Flute, Viola & Harp 5. Syrinx

"This Wonderful Collection of Debussy's Chamber Music features Rare Performances by Many Notable Classical Stars. Conductor Michael Tilson Thomas for Instance Performs on Piano Accompanying Joseph Silverstein in the Violin Sonata and Jules Eskin in the Cello Sonata. Featured also is an Even Rarer Chamber Transcription of Debussy's Familiar Orchestral Masterpiece Prelude a L'apres-midi D'un Faune."

[​IMG]

9. Graphyfotoz

Hard to go wrong with Chandos!
    About everything I have heard on that label is GREAT! :righton:
    I rank Chandos up there with BIS..but Chandos seems to have more familiar Conductors.
    Hickox and Jarvi are 2 of my favs from that label.

10. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

. . . tempo, articulation, Munch's Gallic manner of tossing off phrases, an overall lightness of approach coupled with enough expression to make this performance positively gushy by Heifetz's standards. And then there's the SQ on the SACD.

The Huberman/Szell/Vienna Phil recording is a lovely performance but the sound kills it for me. Also am fond of the Perlman/Giulini on EMI/Angel for pure gush and particularly attached to the old Bruno Walter/Zino Francescatti recording on Columbia/Sony.

11. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Received a new release from Chandos (mine through a H&B sale, but Presto has a similar price). The start of a new series: Jean-Efflam Bavouzet HAYDN Piano Sonatas, Vol. 1.

I am so impressed with his Debussy, that I took a chance on this disc without any reviews or feedback. Again, I am impressed with his style, his touch, his dynamics, his emphasis on the musical line. The recording has wonderful sound, and is recorded in the same hall as the Debussy.

Bavouzet chose 4 of his favorite sonatas to start the series: Nos. 39, 47, 31, & 49.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Wow, looks beautiful..

Playing atm. Friedrich Gulda plays Chopin DoCD - very early live recordings (40ies and 50ies) finally released by DG this year ! Very good imo.

Before that I heard Demidenko playing Chopin's 4 Scherzo and as wonderful as his Schubet Wanderer sounded, this CD left me unimpressed. To me it sounded cold and not even perfectly played - have to check that again of course (as usual)

Finally found the time to place that long time overdue
    order
    http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/home/cart/-/task/show
    changed about half of the intended items...time changes everything :)

Attached Files:

13. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Currently spinning...amazing stuff by both composer and performer .

211FXSCX7EL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

14. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Killer disc.

15. drh

drh Talking Machine

Well, as long as we're showing off our format choices for Debussy ;)....

Attached Files:

16. George P

Now Playing:

[​IMG]

More great stuff from this CD set. Now - CD 2

17. Very cool. :righton:

18. Re: Boston Symphony Orcestra - Claude Debussy recording from 1970

Thanks Oliver.

That's probably why I've never seen the LP on CD. DG changed the artwork. Wonder why they do that. Seems to have been done a lot with CD re-issues of older vinyl titles.

19. Wow. :righton:

Attached Files:

20. Now playing...

Barnard Haitink / Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra - Mahler - Symphony no 8 in E flat major
    Phillips - Holland - 1972 - 2 LP box set

[​IMG]

While researching this, I found out Phillips recorded it for quadrophonic but only released it in stereo back in the day. The multi-channel recording was finally released on SACD in 2006. (I haven't heard it.)

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=129002

21. Rose River Bear

Currently spinning. Great russian romantic composer.

Attached Files:

22. That Debussy recording is very nice. Reminds me, I have one or two BIS CDs. I'll have to give them a spin soon.

23. Rose River Bear

oops wrong picture

41Z9S09HB5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

24. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

A day of Schumann....do not really need a reason for that.

[​IMG]

Like a bottle of Sawyer's 2000 Bradford Meritage. Ready to drink NOW while maintaining a lush and elegant taste.

Also:

[​IMG]

Continued thanks here, George. Kempff is still my favorite for LvB's sonatas (still need that mono set).....so really itching to pull the trigger on the complete Schumann/Kempff set. Guess I'll spin the following in the meantime:

[​IMG]

25. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

did you just call sibelius a russian? uhhhh, i don't think the fins would be so glad to hear that! :shake: i have to say though that those colin davis performances were my entry into this music, having bought the lp's when they originally came out, and the performances do still hold up. wonderful music!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.