Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Were those early day vinyl a lot heavier than present day vinyl? But they cannot possibly be heavier than those 78 RPM shellac ... :confused:

Those record sleeves were nothing but plastic bag. :biglaugh:

2. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to CD 9 from "Marcelle Meyer - Ses Enregistrements 1925 - 1957" on EMI.

Works by Rameau.

[​IMG]

3. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

On the TT today:

[​IMG]

This LP shows his ability to creates whispers or volcanic eruptions as the music requires. Quite good sound--less boxy and cold than many DG piano discs. I've always liked the cover photo, too.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    Mik, bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  4. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

I have a few early 1950's London and Decca LPs that are noticeably heavier and thicker than a "standard" LP. They aren't quite as heavy as 78's, though.

5. coopmv

Second listen?

6. coopmv

Then what is the story with those recently released classical LP's released in Japan that claim to be 180g (or 350g) virgin vinyl. A friend of mine told me these newer LP's are noticeably heavier than the older LP's (before they were displaced by CD's).

7. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Took this out again for a morning spin, as great as I remembered.
    Claudio Arrau - Chopin Nocturnes.
    [​IMG]

Now up:
    Berloiz - Symphonie Fanastique - Krajan.
    [​IMG]

J.A.W. and bluemooze like this.
  8. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

My first set of the Chopin Nocturnes. 19 sets later and that one is still my favorite!

Now enjoying a first spin of this set:

[​IMG]

bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  9. coopmv

I am interested in this recording but it does not appear to be available on CD. I want no vinyl ...

10. coopmv

I have more than a dozen sets of Chopin Nocturnes but not quite anywhere near 19. You can actually find 19 sets that are worth collecting?

For major works such as the Brandenburg Concertos and the Beethoven Symphonies, I do have close to 30 sets each. But I remain very selective, i.e. no new-blood artists in general ...

11. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

12. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

My favourite Nocturnes.

Bachtoven and George P like this.
  13. George P

14. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Thanks. So the second is probably the same mastering, just in a new discount package...you think?

15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I'm pretty sure I'm on my third time. :righton:

16. coopmv

17. coopmv

She was a fabulous pianist ... :agree:

bluemooze likes this.
  18. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

I think that in the very early 1950's, vinyl LPs were heavier/thicker to withstand the weight of the tone arms of the time (someone with more knowledge please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken). I own this original Mercury, and it is similar in weight and thickness to that Decca gold label I posted earlier...certainly more hefty than a normal LP.
    [​IMG]

vanhooserd and bluemooze like this.
  19. coopmv

You lost me there. They are two different works. The first box is a 4-CD box, WTC 1 & 2 (Well-tempered Clavier) and recorded in mono. The second one is a stereo recording of the Goldberg Variations. Both are in regular DG catalog.

20. George P

Love that cover!

ToddBD likes this.
  21. coopmv

I have not bought any classical LP's since 88 or 89 and really have no clue as to what is so big deal about the more recently re-released classical LP's in terms of better quality. They are supposedly thicker and usually go for over $30 a pop.

I hardly recognize Rafael Kubelik in this picture ... LOL

22. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

I thought the second was a repackaging of the mono WTC, paired with the 1998 Goldbergs. Did I screw this up?

23. coopmv

I am not familiar with any repackaging. My WTC and Goldberg Variations came in two separate boxes ...

24. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Ok...but your reply to my original inquiry was that you owned both of the releases I was asking about.....

25. coopmv

On closer inspection of the image, DG did re-package the two works into a new package, which has the same cover art as Tureck's original Goldberg Variations. A short answer for you is this is a package deal, as I do not think Rosalyn Tureck made many reocordings for DG. Sorry I cannot tell you how good the package deal is. If you can get it for under $20, then it is definitely a good deal ...