Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

I love this entire box! It's one of my favorite, and most played sets I own.

bigstar87 and alankin1 like this.
  2. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I just listened to this a couple days ago and enjoyed it very much. I have the 3rd and 4th concertos from Fleisher on the Sony Great Performances CD which is DSD remastered from 2006. I usually go for older pressings over remasters but this disc sounds great.

bigstar87 and alankin1 like this.
  3. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Dmitri Shostakovich – Symphony No.8 in C minor Op.65
    — WDR Sinfonieorchester Köln – Rudolf Barshai (Brilliant Classics)

[​IMG]

Terrapin Station and SteelyTom like this.
  4. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Interesting question! I guess they never felt it worthwhile? In general BMG and Sony never treated Fiedler's output with much reverence, perhaps figuring that much of his work was pretty dated or outclassed by others from the more reputable side of the classical aisle. The album with most but not all of this LP is on Spotify; I'll give it a listen later.

Supposedly the whole album was released on cassette. Pity it didn't make it to CD.

5. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

She's amazing.

6. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

On the turntable...fabulous in all respects!
    [​IMG]

Mik, tomymontana, alankin1 and 5 others like this.
  7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Time for the Sibelius 2nd ... :agree:

8. drh

drh Talking Machine

For reasons that need not detain us, I've been visiting different accounts of the Dvorak 6th sym. in the past few days. Tonight, first hearing of the Cleveland Or. under Christoph von Dohnanyi, although I had considerable hopes for it on the basis of his recordings of 7, especially 8, and 9. Well, those hopes were justified: intense, committed performance, sonics that do credit to London's recording team. Definitely a keeper! I suppose I really should dig out my copy of Leinsdorf with the same or. on 78s, from back when the "New World" was Sym. no. 5 and this one was Sym. no. 1, the account that introduced me to this much-underrated symphony years ago. It was love at first hearing then, especially of that breathless furiant scherzo (one of my favorite mvts. by that composer), but I haven't revisited those records in a long, long time.

Another new-to-me recording: Houston SO under one Andres Orozco-Estrada on Pentatone. Have so far played only the aforementioned furiant, but I was impressed with performance and recording (stereo redbook layer only, as reproduced on a secondary, nearfield system through KLH bookshelf speakers just like the ones we had when I was growing up in the '60s, so--pleasing as it was--probably not showing the recording to its best). Anybody heard more by this conductor? His name was entirely unknown to me until I sampled this disc.

Mik likes this.
  9. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    From the Decca Sound Analogue Years box set; the Franck Sonata is one of my favorite chamber pieces

Mik, ToddBD, J.A.W. and 1 other person like this.
  10. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Good morning everyone, on the TT one of my favourite violinist ever. So lucky to have found this LP in top shape for 1 CAD. Philips sound is as always excellent. :love:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. drh

drh Talking Machine

Time to break out the snow shovel... :sigh:

:idea: ...or go sit by the fireplace under a nice, warm fleece throw and listen to the Tchaikowsky 1st Sym.!

Here's hoping all our friends in the northeastern US weathered the storm OK.

Mik, bigstar87, DeepFloyd11 and 2 others like this.
  12. [​IMG]
    I like this more and more with each listen. Very interesting line up, I must say I prefer this to the piano versions I've heard.

Mik, ToddBD, Eigenvector and 3 others like this.
  13. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing, CD 5:

"Perahia Plays and Conducts Mozart" (Columbia – Sony Classics)

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
    – Concerto for Piano No.14 in E flat major K 449
    – Concerto for Piano No.24 in C minor K 491
    — Murray Perahia (piano) – English Chamber Orchestra – Murray Perahia

[​IMG] [​IMG]

zeram1, Mik, mdekoning and 6 others like this.
  14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now, from this set: Piano Sonatas 9-10, Op.14/1-2; 11, Op.22; 19-20, Op.49/1-2; disc 3. Recorded at the same venue in February 2005. So far I like this set much more than I expected - I never really was an András Schiff fan, but I prefer his playing on the few ECM discs I've heard to his earlier Decca albums.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Mik likes this.
  15. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I only got about 2 inches in Arlington.

16. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Downloaded a free hi-res version of the Fantasy Op. 49. Great playing and sound. I may have to get the entire recording!

[​IMG]

Mik and SteelyTom like this.
  17. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I only have one album from Szeryng but it is excellent and one of my favorites. It is Lalo Symphonie Espagnole with the Chicago Symphony from 1964 on Analogue Productions SACD.

ToddBD, DeepFloyd11 and SteelyTom like this.
  18. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

(1992), Intersound; 5 CDs. Pseudonymous orchestras, unnamed conductors. The Eroica Symphony is missing one-half of second movement.

[​IMG]

19. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I don't have a fireplace unfortunately but am listening to Tchaikovsky Symphony 1 thanks to your post. Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Mariss Jansons. Heavy rain and wind outside.

ToddBD and Wes H like this.
  20. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Ouch. I've seen other superbudget releases done in by editing/mastering mistakes. I was rather fond of the Brahms cycle conducted by L'udovit Rajter, but the only CD issue I found was missing the ending of the Third Symphony.

geralmar likes this.
  21. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Guitarist Jorge Caballero plays his transcriptions of Bach's Cello Suites No.2, 4, and 6. Masterful playing and great sound.

[​IMG]

22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Very nice playing and sound, if not the last word in drama in Bach's mighty Chaconne.

[​IMG]

23. drh

drh Talking Machine

Reader's Digest condensed version?

At one of its side breaks, the Albert Coates recording of Beethoven's 9th (from 1926, the second electric recording after Weingartner's initial account) is missing several bars. Either it was a deliberate cut or else a continuity mistake--the recording was made, if memory serves, in something like two different halls over the course of three days, so it's entirely conceivable something just got lost in the shuffle. In all events, a shame, as is the adoption of a rather lame English translation; dim sonics and all, that's one of my favorite accounts of the score, not least because of the fine choral work and glorious singing from some of the finest singers working in England at the time.

geralmar likes this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

:laugh:

25. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

:evil:

[​IMG]

He is definitely an outstanding Mozart performer....

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    mdekoning, Eigenvector and bigstar87 like this.