Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD2 - featuring all those highly popular Schumann piano works from my Schumann collection ...

[​IMG]

2. George P

George P Forum Pianophile Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD, alankin1 and 2 others like this.
  3. coopmv

:edthumbs:

4. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Well-Known Member

Going out of my mind on yet another Saturday trapped indoors by bad weather/some sort of freezing precipitation.....

Been going through some NM mono DGs I picked up a couple of months ago. Particularly enjoyed this one:

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD, Marko K and 4 others like this.
  5. coopmv

How do you like this Decca Duo?

6. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Forum Resident

:love::righton:

7. DeepFloyd11

That's too bad that you have crappy weather....here's it's just the opposite. Simply a wonderful spring like day. 16 C ( 60 F) , sunny...awesome. So I haven't listened to music much but now we're home and I am going to indulge :goodie:

On the TT.....:tiphat:

[​IMG]

Eigenvector likes this.
  8. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Well-Known Member

Well, I hope that your good weather is on its way my direction!

Enjoy your weekend and great choice of music!!

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  9. Six String

Six String Forum Resident

I found a couple of those a few years ago Borodin, Straus, Mozart and Liszt. I had never seen them prior to that.

NP Fritz Reiner and the CSO w/Leontyne Price - Spain (RCA) SACD

ToddBD and Eigenvector like this.
  10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Forum Resident

But...but...she's Canadian!

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  11. DeepFloyd11

The weather here is always very unpredictable ...the proximity to the Rocky Mountains is the culprit. We have a saying here....' if you don't like the weather....wait 5 minutes'.
    I remember a lyrics by Genesis.....When the evil of a snowflake in June can still be a source of relief'....
    I never understood what that meant and found it a bit absurd, until I moved here. Snow can come down ANY month of the year. It's unusual - but it happens!

I hope your weather improves soon. Spring is very much needed, at least for me. I enjoy the outdoors so much.....and besides hopefully the 1 CAD record sale will start again :D.....can't wait to find more treasures and add to my collection.

Eigenvector likes this.
  12. DeepFloyd11

Hahaha...so is Glenn Gould!! Well belonging to any nationality / country is definitely not a guarantee to be liked but everyone. Ms. Hewitt has many fans and followers....I am just not one of them. :tiphat:

13. bigstar87

bigstar87 Active Member

From the Decca Sound Analogue Years: [​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD, vanhooserd and 3 others like this.
  14. DeepFloyd11

These old tulip label recordings are so nice to own....there is something truly special about them. I have found only one so far during my digging. Several other tulip label, but with the more modern covers/ artwork etc...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  15. sgb

sgb Forum Resident

Well, sir, they've outdone themselves, then, on #2; the orchestra just shines throughout the entire work just brilliantly. I haven't ordered the complete set yet, but I could not find a new set from Europe for that $30 price mentioned above either.

Casagrande likes this.
  16. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing, CD 1:
    Franz Liszt (Sony Records)
    – Concerto for Piano No.1 in E flat major S.124 — Arthur Rubinstein (piano) – RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra – Alfred Wallenstein
    – Concerto for Piano No.2 in A major S.125 — Van Cliburn (piano) – Philadelphia Orchestra – Eugene Ormandy
    – Totentanz S.126 — Byron Janis (piano) – Chicago Symphony Orchestra – Fritz Reiner
    – Hungarian Fantasy for Piano and Orchestra S.123 — Philippe Entremont (piano) – New Philharmonia Orchestra – Seiji Ozawa

[​IMG]

Casagrande, Mik and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  17. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Forum Resident

She played here a few months ago. I thought about going, but based on the recordings I had heard decided against it.

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  18. coopmv

All my sprouting tulips were wiped out by the last snowstorm, i.e. buried under 10" of snow ... :sigh:

19. coopmv

She has to have her fans or else Hyperion would not have requested her to record WTC's twice ...

20. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Ah, but if you hear that Glenn Gould is coming to play, you definitely need to go! ;)

vanhooserd likes this.
  21. coopmv

I doubt anyone at CMC has ever attended a live Glenn Gould's performance, just saying ...

22. coopmv

Now playing CD50 - Cantatas Nos 165 - 168 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

23. coopmv

Now playing CD20 - Beethoven Sonatas Nos 17, 21 & 30 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

24. coopmv

I have found these Beethoven Piano Sonatas by Lili Kraus to be quite good or do I need a hearing test? Your thoughts, George? :winkgrin:

25. coopmv

Now playing CD5 - Symphony No. 6 & Leonore Overture No. 2 from the following box from my Beethoven collection ...

[​IMG]

DeepFloyd11 likes this.